Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: PlayStation 3 - Installing Ubuntu on the PS3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HOWTO: PlayStation 3 - Installing Ubuntu on the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Andaconda View Post
    When I am at the kboot promt and I type in "install-fc sda" I get the error "eval: 1: install-fc: not found" I have done everything else on the instructions. I am a complete Linux noob and I know nothing about linux. If someone could help me that would be great.
    Do you have the Fedora core DVD in the drive?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ciego View Post
    Do you have the Fedora core DVD in the drive?
    Yes I had the DVD in the drive. I think I followed the directions correctly. I did it over again acouple of times and it still didn't work.
    I guess i'll give you a better explanation of the error.
    After I formatted the HD and Installed kboot I rebooted the ps3 and inserted the fedora 5 dvd.
    the kboot prompt then says
    "UDF-fs: no VRS found
    UDF-fs: no VRS found
    kboot:"

at the prompt if I set it sit it then displays
    "UDF-fs: no VRS found
    /init: eval: 1: /dev/sr0:/ppc/ppc64/vmlinux-ps3: not found" and it keeps on displaying this over and over again.

when I am at the prompt if I type in "install-fc sda" it then displays
    "/init: eval: 1: install-fc: not found"

I have made sure its the right DVD, I burned it at maximum speed, I'll try burning it at a slow speed, I dont know if that will make a difference either.
    Do I need an external HDD plugged in, I dont have one at the moment, my flash drive is plugged in, I have tried it with the flash drive not in. It didn't work either way. I dont know if that matters though. Any help you can give me will be appreciated
    Last edited by Andaconda; January 15th, 2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: more information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You do not need an external hard drive for this to work. It sounds like it is a problem with the DVD that you burned. In general, I think it is considered standard practice to burn at very slow speeds when you are burning an OS install disk. I would recommend a 4x or 8x burn, but my burner will only do 16x at its slowest and I think at that speed I have had one bad burn out of 10 or so.

The "UDF-fs: no VRS found" part is normal I guess ... mine says that too.

Beans

I reformatted the ps3 HD so that it gave all of the 60gb to the ps3 system. Then I reformatted it so that it gave 10gb to the Other OS. It works fine now. I think kboot was configured for Yellow Dog Linux because I had that on before. Thanks for the tutorial. Its great.

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: HOWTO: PlayStation 3 - Installing Ubuntu on the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Ciego View Post
    What is the command that you run at this point. I am getting an error "bash: debootstrap: command not found"

RESOLVED:

I guess the command is
    Code:
    $ /tmp/usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch powerpc edgy /mnt/ubuntu http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu
    I just typed that and off it went

BTW: Great find theBishop. I have been looking for a way to install Ubuntu without installing anything else first ... and yes, that live CD is a masterpiece.

I have been able to debootstrap using the methods described above, but now I'm stuck. I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto the native PS3 hard disk with the Gentoo LiveCD, but I don't exactly know what to do after debootstrapping. I'm trying to follow Candell's guide from instruction number 4, but I can't cp the kernel nor can I chroot. I apologize if I'm missing something totally obvious, but I'm quite new to linux (started just a few days ago with YDL). Hopefully, someone can guide me to the right direction. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by juanzone View Post
    I have been able to debootstrap using the methods described above, but now I'm stuck. I'm trying to install Ubuntu onto the native PS3 hard disk with the Gentoo LiveCD, but I don't exactly know what to do after debootstrapping. I'm trying to follow Candell's guide from instruction number 4, but I can't cp the kernel nor can I chroot. I apologize if I'm missing something totally obvious, but I'm quite new to linux (started just a few days ago with YDL). Hopefully, someone can guide me to the right direction. Thanks!
    I have been working on the same thing for a few days now. I think that the reason you cannot copy the kernel is because it has a different name on the Gentoo CD. Try this.

Code:
    $ cp /boot/kernel-genkernel-ppc-2.6.16-ps3 /mnt/ubuntu/boot/vmliux
    This will copy the kernel from the CD to a file named vmlinux in the /mnt/ubuntu/boot directory.

I think that I am going to try it using the kernel from the ADDON CD because I am having some problems with this one.

I am writing a HOW-TO for this right now but I am still working out a few kinks. I could email it to you if you would like to see what I have so far .... just PM me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have posted another HOWTO for installing Ubuntu on the PS3 with a live CD.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...34#post2042834

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I have been running ubuntu on the ps3 for a little while and it runs at the same pace as YDL or slightly better. kubuntu will be the next best on system resources with xubuntu being the most efficient.

Beans

Do you have videos of ubuntu on the ps3?

Beans

Compatibility for Ubuntu fiesty on Playstation 3 has been implemented as described at https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...-compatibility.

CD images are provided which allow you to run ubuntu without changing anything on your PS3 and at your option, to install it onto the system. It should be noted though that these images are not intended for normal use yet, so beware.

As for me, I'm downloading an image now and trying it tonight. I'll post what happens later.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast