Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Aptana IDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Install Aptana IDE

muncrief, I think you forgot a comma or something on step 11. Does anyone know what the correct way to avoid the terminal library dependency error is? The original method is giving me the sed error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Never mind. Here is what works:
    1. Download the install file at: http://www.aptana.org/download_all.php#linux
    2. Open a terminal window and get the dependencies:

sudo apt-get install mozilla

sudo aptitude install libswt3.1-gtk-java

3. Fix the installer issues:

cp Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.bak

cat Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.orig | sed "s/export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/#xport LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/" > Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin

4. Make the bin executable:

chmod +x Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin

5. Run the installer:

./Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin

6. Now we just make a little script to set an environment every time

touch aptana

sudo gedit aptana

7. Now copy this

#/usr/bin

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla

~/Aptana/aptana

8. save the file
    9. chmod it so it can be executed:

chmod 755 aptana

10. Now copy it to the /bin folder:

sudo cp aptana /bin/

That's it.

Beans

Hi I'm trying to get the installer to work on amd64 this is what I get :
    any help at all would be great.

&^%^%$$^@^&*((**&^-desktop:~$ ./Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin
    Preparing to install...
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported, using defaultInvocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
    java.lang.InternalError: Current locale is not supported
    at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.pSetTitle(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.motif.MWindowPeer.init(Unknown Source)
    at sun.awt.motif.MFramePeer.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.createFrame(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Frame.addNotify(Unknown Source)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.f(DashoA81 13)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA81 13)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA81 13)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)
    at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)
    This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Beans

Ok I installed form apt-get and now it give me an error and tells me to check this and this is the .log
    any help would be great.

Code:
    !SESSION 2007-02-06 13:40:12.27 ------------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.5.0_08
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=es_CO
    Framework arguments:  #VM Runtime Configuration File
    Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 #VM Runtime Configuration File

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.rcp.main 1 0 2007-02-06 13:40:17.28
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Bound to port 9980

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.core.ui 1 0 2007-02-06 13:40:28.247
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Connected to database aptanaDB 

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.scripting 1 0 2007-02-06 13:40:43.791
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Scripting server started on port 9000

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.core.ui 1 0 2007-02-06 13:40:43.944
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) current Aptana build number

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.core.ui 1 0 2007-02-06 13:41:01.848
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Database shut down normally 
    !SESSION 2007-03-15 23:28:09.30 ------------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.6.0
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Framework arguments:  #VM Runtime Configuration File
    Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 #VM Runtime Configuration File

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.rcp.main 1 0 2007-03-15 23:28:11.21
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Bound to port 9980

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2007-03-15 23:28:11.103
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/johnficca/.eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/46/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so: /home/johnficca/.eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/46/1/.cp/libswt-pi-gtk-3139.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1660)
    	at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
    	at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030)
    	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
    	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:19)
    	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63)
    	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54)
    	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:122)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:381)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:155)
    	at com.aptana.ide.rcp.AbstractIDEApplication.createDisplay(AbstractIDEApplication.java:152)
    	at com.aptana.ide.rcp.AbstractIDEApplication.run(AbstractIDEApplication.java:89)
    	at com.aptana.ide.rcp.Application.run(Application.java:43)
    	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:226)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:376)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:163)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:334)
    	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:278)
    	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
    	at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)

Beans

To everyone trying to install Aptana -

My original directions no longer seem to work anymore on either Edgy or Feisty, but post #10 by sk8dork above gives directions on how to install Eclipse, and then Aptana as a plugin under it.

Aptana works much better, and has many more capabilities (like realtime CVS version display), under Eclipse. It also doesn't have the high CPU usage that it does when compiled.

The only caveat is that you need to install Sun Java, and then change the Java version Eclipse uses to the Sun version after installing it.

Unfortunately, I have to reinstall Feisty now because I got a little to adventuresome with some 32 bit/64 bit compilations and have really screwed it up. However, when I reinstall I will create a step by step howto on installing the Java, Eclipse, and Aptana IDE for newbies, and to make it easier for all of us. I'll try to have it up by tomorrow.

However, if you're experienced, or a newbie looking for adventure, please try sk8dork's info and links. It's a little terse but I was able to follow it and get Aptana working great!.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Maybe it would be a good idea to remove the first few posts and instead create a post which shows how to install eclipse (I've seen it also in the repositories) and then howto install Aptana as a plugin?

I've got no experience with installing eclipse using the repository, but installing it directly after first installing java is no prob.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks to all for keeping us updated.

My question for those who got it working now wheather the tooltips and HTML / CSS syntax check in the problems view works.

Keen to hear a statement on this.
    Thanks to all who help me out and the developpers!

Friendly greetings... CU

Beans

HOWTO: Install Eclipse with Aptana Plugin

OK, here's the howto I promised. Sorry it took so long but the recent kernel problems took awhile to recover from.

As I said before, compiling Aptana doesn't work anymore, and even if it did running it under Eclipse is much more efficient and functional. Here are the steps I took to install it.

1. Install the version of Java you wish to use. In this example I use Sun Java 6:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

2. Now install eclipse:
    sudo apt-get install eclipse

3. Don't click on the Eclipse menu item yet!. We need to edit the menu entry for eclipse so it will use the desired Java. If you don't do this it will use Blackdown Java, no matter what "java -version" says.
    1. Right click over your main gnome menu and Click on "Edit Menus"
    2. In the left column of the box that pops up click on "Programming"
    3. Now in the right column double click "Eclipse".
    4. Put "/usr/bin/eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/bin/java" in the "Command:" line.
    5. Click "Close", and then "Close" again to exit the main menu editor.

4. Now run "eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/bin/java" from the command line. If you get a message that says "Could not create /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension. Please run as root: ...". then just run the following commands after exiting Eclipse to fix things:

sudo touch /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension
    sudo chmod 2775 /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension
    sudo chown root:staff /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension

5. Now we can use the menu. Select "Programming->Eclipse" to start eclipse.

6. Next we need to set the Java that Eclipse will use for it's projects (Aptana is an Eclipse project). Otherwise it will only use Blackdown Java (regardless of java -version or the VM it is started with).
    1. From the "Window" menu in Eclipse select "Preferences".
    2. Click "Java" to open the java options list and click "Installed JRE's"
    3. Now you can enter as many JRE's as you want and select the default. We'll just enter Java 6, click on the "Add" button.
    4. Enter "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun" in the "JRE home directory:" box and click the "OK" button. Everything else will fill in automatically.
    5. Click the check box by java-6-sun to set it as the default.
    6. Click "OK" to exit Preferences.

7. From the Help menu in Eclipse, select Software Updates > Find and Install... to open an Install/Update pop-up window.

8. On the Install/Update pop-up window, choose the Search for new features to install option, and click the Next button.

9. Set up a new remote site to scan for updates.
    1. Click the New Remote Site... button to open a New Update Site pop-up window.
    2. On the New Update Site pop-up window, type "Aptana" in the site Name text box.
    3. In the URL text box, type the URL for the Aptana update site: http://update.aptana.com/update/ and click OK.
    4. Click the Finish button to open an Updates window.

10. Now we'll install the Aptana plugin
    1. On the Updates window, check the Aptana box, and click the Next button.
    2. Choose the option to accept the terms of the license agreement, and click the Next button.
    3. Click the Finish button.
    4. Click the Install All button.
    5. After Eclipse installs the Aptana plug-in, follow the prompts to shut down and re-start Eclipse.

11. Finally we need to set the Ecplise Perspective to Apatana
    In the upper right hand corner of the Eclipse IDE there is a little window icon, this is used to select perspectives. Click it, and if you see "Aptana" just select it. Otherwise select "Other..." to open the Select Perspective pop-up window and select Aptana from there. That's it!.

OK, hopefully you have a fully functional Eclipse/Aptana system now. Have fun!
    Last edited by muncrief; April 17th, 2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Fixed current Sun Java 6 path, removed run as root

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thank you, muncrief. trying to install aptana as a standalone app on feisty was getting me nowhere.

Beans

Hi everyone. This is quite an interesting thread, so many thanks to all involved.

I have no had any problems installing Aptana as a standalone application. Well, until now... I seem to have an issue with Frostwire not being happy with running Java5. I think I need a method of telling Frostwire which version of Java it should be using, as I have both installed.

I have Eclipse, and I've used Aptana as a plugin. My personal preference is to use Aptana as a stand alone application. I believe it's quicker, and less bulky. Eclipse as an IDE is fantastic, but Aptana as a pure Web IDE, I think is even better. Also, Aptana as a standalone application, comes with some very useful references manuals for JavaScript, HTML, CSS and more, and all of the reference manuals have good examples in them. The plugin doesn't seem to have any of these integrated. If anyone can suggest an alternative, or find a way to port the reference manuals over from the standalone application, I'd be more than happy to make the switch.

Did you know you can install Aptana straight from the repositories? This is how I installed Aptana originally. Check out the forum thread by afterxleep: http://www.aptana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=520 . He's made a repository that takes most of the grunt out of installing Aptana manually, and it seems to work great, other than the problem I mentioned.

I'm open to suggestions as to what I should do, and I also just wanted to add another side to the debate.

I am not an experienced Linux user as such. I can achieve most simple things, but as for configuring things like Java, I'd be better off piloting a jumbo jet!

All the best.

Daz
    Last edited by TheFuzzy0ne; April 23rd, 2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Forgot a URL...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast