Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Aptana IDE

Beans

HOWTO: Install Aptana IDE

I've had some difficulty installing Aptana on Edgy, and when searching the forums for help I saw a few unresolved threads where others seem to have had a hard time with installing it, so I thought a short guide that puts together the installation steps would be useful. I've tested this on Edgy only and would like feedback from Dapper users as well, so that I can add any possible extra installation steps.

1) Download the installer from http://www.aptana.com/

2) Install the dependencies
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libswt3.1-gtk-java mozilla
    3) Navigate to the directory where you downloaded the installer in the terminal and do the following
    Code:
    cp Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.bak 

cat Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.bak | \ sed "s/export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/#xport LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/" > \ Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin
    This will help with the "Unable to find shared library" errors. The first line creates a backup file named Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.bak which you can later delete.

4) Launch the installer
    Code:
    ./Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin
    and follow the instructions

5) Use the following script to launch Aptana. This is assuming you've installed it to your ~/Aptana folder.
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla
    ~/Aptana/aptana
    Last edited by 23meg; December 9th, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Aptana IDE

Edit: http://www.aptana.com/forums/viewtop...er=asc&start=0 solved my problems. On page 3 there's a .deb that takes care of everything.

I still get an error saying that the sed command can't be found when I try to do step #3.

By taking out the space between the "\" and "sed" I was able to avoid that particular error, but still ran into this one when I tried to install:

Code:
    grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /tmp/install.dir.11946/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by els; December 12th, 2006 at 09:03 PM.

Beans

If Aptana constantly crashes check the maximum allowed number of opened files by typing this into the console:

ulimit -n

The value is propably set to 1024. It can be increased by adding your user to /etc/security/limits.conf like this:

yourusername hard nofile 32768

Log out and in again for the changes to become effective. Aptana is running stable for me since then. The output of lsof | wc -l always shows around 6000 opened files when running it.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Hi, thanks for the guide!
    I still have some problems, when I try to run Aptana a message dialog pops up and tells me that
    "An error has occurred. See the log file /home/eivind/aptana/workspace/.metadata/.log."
    I'm guessing this error has to to with the mozilla engine, so I tried to edit the startup-script to point to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox which resulted in the same message dialog.

The error log is long, and pretty repeating, so I'll only post the beginning
    !SESSION 2007-02-19 13:43:48.936 -----------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.4.2_09
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
    Framework arguments: #VM Runtime Configuration File
    Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 #VM Runtime Configuration File

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.rcp.main 1 0 2007-02-19 13:43:51.827
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Bound to port 9980

!ENTRY com.aptana.ide.core.ui 1 0 2007-02-19 13:43:58.769
    !MESSAGE (Build 0.2.7.13425) Connected to database aptanaDB

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 4 0 2007-02-19 13:44:00.679
    !MESSAGE Widget disposed too early!
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Widget disposed too early!
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference$1.w idgetDisposed(WorkbenchPartReference.java:151)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent( TypedListener.java:101)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Event Table.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.ja va:1021)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.ja va:1045)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.ja va:1026)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.releaseWidget(Widge t.java:932)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.releaseWidget(Cont rol.java:2395)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Scrollable.releaseWidget(S crollable.java:313)
    The whole log can be found here..
    Why is this program so hard to install?
    Thanks to all of you who post solutions at the forum and in the wiki, it has really helped me a lot.

Beans

@eivindgl: not sure about this one, but the logfile says that libxpcom.so is missing.

did you install mozilla?

how do you start aptana? like this?

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla
    /your/path/aptana

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Hi
    Looks like I just just copied the instructions without paying any attention to the response. Sorry! No, I haven't installed Mozilla. It can't even find it in the repositories.
    Code:
    eivind@elap:~/www$ sudo apt-get install mozilla
    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package mozilla is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package mozilla has no installation candidate
    I'm using the feisty fawn beta since my wireless card is unstable in edgy, I couldn't find a Mozilla installer at www.mozilla.org either. Is Seamonkey equivalent to Mozilla?

Beans

Mozilla has been removed from Feisty. Seamonkey is equivalent to the Mozilla Suite but you currently won't find it in Feisty either.

I just tried what happens if I remove Mozilla and set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to Firefox (also using Feisty, Aptana is 0.2.8.13501). Works fine for me, this is my start up script:

#! /bin/bash
    cd /opt/aptana/
    export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/firefox/
    ./aptana -vm /etc/alternatives/java

More tips can be found here: http://www.aptana.com/docs/index.php...ptana_on_Linux

Beans

HOWTO: Install Aptana IDE on Ubuntu Edgy AMD64

OK everyone, after trying a lot of different things I was able to get the latest stable Aptana (0.2.7.13425 at the time of this writing) running beautifully (at least for the last hour or so) on Ubuntu Edgy AMD64. It turns out that it needs a particular version of mozilla, and has to use its own Java runtime to remain stable. This and a few other quirks made it quite a headache to install, but its easy once you know the "secret" steps!

I haven't seen everything I had to do to make it work in one place so I'm posting it here in the hopes that it will save some of you time. As I said though, I went through many different installation techniques before hitting on one that worked, so I hope I haven't left out any dependencies or steps. I can't (and don't want to) restore my system to a pristine state so if I have left anything thing out please let me know and I'll update this howto.

OK, here's what worked for me folks:

1. Type "sudo apt-get install libswt3.1-gtk-java mozilla". I'm not sure we need this mozilla but it doesn't hurt, and I haven't tried installing without it. We actually have to use a different mozilla, so if someone wants to try to install without this mozilla and report the results it would be useful.

2. Download the Mozilla 1.7.8 GTK2 build from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...tk2+xft.tar.gz to /usr/local.

3. Open a terminal and type "cd /usr/local".

4. Type "sudo tar xvf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.7.8-gtk2+xft.tar.gz" (untars files to /usr/local/mozilla).

5. Type "export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/mozilla".

6. Type "sudo /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla" (just run mozilla once as root and then exit the browser).

7. Type "cd ~/".

8. Type "sudo chown -R <your username> .mozilla". This will restore your ownership to your local mozilla.

9. Download the "Current Release" "BIN plus Java Runtime" version of Aptana from http://update.aptana.com/download_all.php#linux to your home directory (~/).

10. Type "mv Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.bak".

11. Type "sed 's/export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5/#xport LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5/' Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin.bak > Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin". This is necessary to avoid terminal library dependency errors.

12. Type "sudo chmod a+x Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin".

13. Type "export XLOCALELIBDIR=/usr/lib32/X11/locale". This is required to avoid the "current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to CX locale modifiers are not supported ..." compilation error for 32 bit java programs and 64 bit platforms.

14. Type "./Aptana_IDE_Setup.bin" to start the installer. Accept all default values. It will install in your home directory, which was the only way I could get it to work without dealing with a lot of permissions issues. If someone could figure out a multi-user installation I'm sure it would be useful, and shouldn't be to hard. It's just late and I'm to tired to mess with it now.

15. Since it needs its own special mozilla and Java you must launch Aptana with the following script:

#!/bin/bash
    export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/mozilla
    export PATH=$PATH:~/Aptana
    export JAVA_BINDIR=/usr/lib32/jvm/java-gcj/bin
    export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib32/jvm/java-gcj
    export JAVA_ROOT=/usr/lib32/jvm/java-gcj
    exec ~/Aptana/aptana

And Enjoy!

I sure hope it works for you. I'm just trying it out now and so far it looks pretty cool!.
    Last edited by muncrief; March 18th, 2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Added XLOCALELIBDIR instruction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hello,
    I am wondering wheather one can use Aptana successfully in Linux as a plug-in for Eclipse itself.
    I tried but don't get any tooltips nor HTML / CSS problems check...

Thanks,
    Timmie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by timmie View Post
    Hello,
    I am wondering wheather one can use Aptana successfully in Linux as a plug-in for Eclipse itself.
    I tried but don't get any tooltips nor HTML / CSS problems check...

Thanks,
    Timmie
    i was kinda miffed about all the hoops you have to jump through to install aptana standalone when it's based off of eclipse and it can be run as a plugin. so after getting the following error during installation of aptana standalone:
    Code:
    grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /tmp/install.dir.7589/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    i decided to try to install eclipse from repos and install the aptana plugin (i read someone comment that you get all the aptana stuff and more). follow the instructions here and you'll have it done relatively easily. i didn't run eclipse as root the first time, so i opened a root terminal and performed the steps that were listed in the terminal i ran eclipse from:
    Code:
    Could not create /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension. Please run as root:
        touch /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension
        chmod 2775 /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension
        chown root:staff /usr/local/lib/eclipse/.eclipseextension
    when you get the plugin installed you have to restart eclipse, go to window > open perspective > other, and pick aptana. now you're in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast