Thread: Python + GTK (&/-) Console

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Python + GTK (&/-) Console

Hello,

in several Threads here, people wanted GUIs for console programs, or created already GUIs for these.

Now, I thought it would be good to create a Starterkit in Python.

I thought of 3 Tabs:
    - Command
    - Output
    - Input Action

So in the first Tab user can insert shell commands. Whatever they like, later the program will do this automatically of course.

In the second Tab you see the output of that commands / all the last commands.
    For example if someone give 'echo "asdf"' in the first tab, here you see then 'asdf'.

The third Tab contains some actions. For example some 3 commands.
    If output is
    adsf -> Dialog Box pops up
    123 -> Window resizes
    quit -> Program closes

I think that would be a good start, and the GUI-Creators would have a good start for interacting with Console Programs.

Anyone knows something like this? Anyone who could help creating a program like this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Python + GTK (&/-) Console

I don't really understand this. What'd be the point? Isn't it just easier for the user to type into the actual console?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    I don't really understand this. What'd be the point? Isn't it just easier for the user to type into the actual console?
    It's just to have the basic functions for executing shell commands and work with the output.

In the end, it's a Starterkit for _GUI_ Programmers.

Beans
    Distro

I mean, how does this help with creating GUIs? All it's doing is redirecting stdout to a window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    I mean, how does this help with creating GUIs? All it's doing is redirecting stdout to a window.
    Because the people who would use this, don't know how to work with stdout, and so they would have a basis to work with.

They program is not the big thing, it's the code inside they would need.

Any better ideas?

Beans
    Distro

I think we're misunderstanding each other here lol. Here's how I'm imagining this:

EDIT: Actually scrap that, it looked horrible. Basically it was a 'diagram' of how I'm seeing it, which in essence is nothing more than the terminal is currently doing.

Now, when I think of this, I see it as doing no more than the terminal currently does, in which case, what's the point? There's nothing here which helps anyone, it just makes getting the output of a command more complicated. My question is 'what is the application actually supposed to do?'. I'm not trying to sound critical, I just really don't understand what the purpose of the program is.
    Last edited by Tomosaur; December 8th, 2006 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Because it's works with the in and output.

Yes, at this stage the program has no real sense, buts it should be only a basis.

For example the guy around here who is actually creating a gnome-vpnc interface, would need this for python.

And I think other would you it as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Is there any GTK Interface for the "interactive python console" around?

Rhythmbox and Epiphany have this as plug-ins, but stand-alone would be nice.

Thanks

EDIT:
    http://www.loria.fr/~rougier/pub/Software/pycons.py

Looks nice, thought only there would be something smaller than 600 Lines of Codes
    Last edited by gummibaerchen; December 24th, 2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Edgy Eft Packages: Glade-3 3.1.4, Geany 0.10, Banshee 0.11.3, Inkscape 0.45, [] Geom - interactive geometry []
    Any questions? Send me a PM, as I don't subscribe to every thread.
    Mark Shuttleworth...