Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu versus Everyone!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu versus Everyone!

I use Ubuntu, but I don't really know why. Too many things don't seem to work all that well, and having to boot into Windows for any top-of-the-line game has become a little old. Also, there is an obvious lack of applications. Ubuntu, like most linux distros, is easily customizable, which is its standout feature when compared to Windows. Otherwise, I don't really see how Ubuntu, or linux, takes the cake for the best OS.

Beans

I would never consider the option of going back to Microsoft unless it was the last option on earth, and even then I would go kicking and screaming. Open source is like the best thing ever, it's all free and there is nothing locking me into any platform or application.

I understand you frustration with the gaming aspect, but that is not really Linux's fault, but profit margins based on the most popular OS. That will all change of course if more people move to Linux AND voice their frustration to the game developers.

Most of my applications work with Ubuntu, so not sure what you are talking about. I have one old TV tuner card I can't get to fully function, but it never ran that well under Windows XP. Linux still needs more work, driver related, but I was surprised the first time I tried it. It recognized most of my hardware.

It sounds like you may need to go back to Windows and give it another try. Linux is not for everyone, however, get that wallet ready.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyck View Post
    Why not learn how to make your own Linux setup? Most distros are full of bloat, many things you will never use.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    Just to get my few cents out toward your original question, I thought the same exact thing. Then I decided to run Gentoo in a virtual env. because I didnt want to dual boot (Kubuntu is my primary/only os).

And WOW it hit me. Each distro is fit for different people/hardware/purposes. Ide say Ubuntu is the general purpose linux that's easy to use, yet still a bit edgy ( ) and completely customizable. Gentoo, however, is completely based on customization (so much to the point where you must compile everything. This is good for those who want the BEST out of their hardware).

Well anyways I think (K)(X)Ubuntu is the best distro myself just because it works and the community is the best! (That's a toast to everyone here).I still want to try Fedora/Redhat Enterprise, Suse, and even Debian just to see for myself how they run. Even so, I dont think they'll be replacing (K)Ubuntu any time soon

Ubuntu is for me 8)
    Join me in my "No Thread Left Behind Act", the quest to leave no thread unanswered
    http://www.facebook.com/patrick.gunsolley
    Kubuntu 10.04 - Primary OS, Fedora 13 Rawhide Tester

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Some people like a 50 MB distro that can boot off a USB key. Would you recommend those people use Ubuntu or Damn Small Linux?
    I'm working on a distro right now that will hopefully do the same thing, I'm planning on calling it USBuntu.

So kinda like DSL vs. USBuntu
    Last edited by Frak; December 9th, 2006 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I agree about the community, though. I like not seeing all the RTFM remarks and elitist diatribes. Ubuntu is one of the few Linux communities around that has a knowledgeable user base that is also friendly.
    i couldn't agree more.
    the combination of a bit of bad luck and the need for a stable distro for my father drove me from red hat & fedora to kubuntu. but the community is the reason i stick with ubuntu.
    a major benefit of fedora over ubuntu, though, is the backporting. in fedora everything - even complete new releases of kde - was available in the repos within 2 weeks. and typing "yum" is faster than "apt-get" or "aptitude"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12