Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: An Ubuntu story

Beans

Re: An Ubuntu story

Quote Originally Posted by gabhla View Post
    I experienced ISP issues (no connection, very slow, then fine...etc). Called Time-Warner, technician shows up and announces within seconds my problem was Linux. Basically, this "technician" told me I needed to buy Windows XP, get rid of Linux, then call him back, and he'd be able to help. Since I "rent" the modem...I told him to leave a new modem, and I'd handle it from here....he left, installed new modem...and, problem solved.
    I had a different experience when I switched from DSL to cable. The technician for Charter Net hooked everything up and then tried to connect to the internet without any success. I think I had Windows 98 back then. He was trying to figure out what was wrong with connection when I told him I wanted to try a Adios Linux Live CD. It booted up and detected internet connection right away and enabled a working connection. I said your internet works fine, it is just that Windows can't detect it but I will spend a few hours to get it configured. He wanted a copy of the Addios Linux Live CD on the spot to help him troubleshoot his work cause he spent hours every week trying to figure out if it was Windows problem or hardware connection problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by katgfan View Post
    WTF did they really? Now im scared discussing linux on an airplane or an air marshal might shoot me.
    They won't shoot you.

Your on a plane.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    They won't shoot you.

Your on a plane.
    You obviously didn't see the MythBusters episode about gunshot holes causing explosive decompression. (it doesn't, the plane would just need to decend to below 10,000 feet) ((which they would do anyway if someone discharged a firearm on the plane ))

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    You obviously didn't see the MythBusters episode about gunshot holes causing explosive decompression. (it doesn't, the plane would just need to decend to below 10,000 feet) ((which they would do anyway if someone discharged a firearm on the plane ))
    Just because its proven it won't happen, its still illegal.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Just because its proven it won't happen, its still illegal.
    Not for air marshals. (and since 9/11, they have increased their numbers)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Frak, maybe you don't realize the weight of what you're telling us. That's why we're still talking about it. A story like this needs to be featured in a newspaper or some well known website. They'd need to corroborate what you've said, but it is definitely worth it. It helps everyone ensure that your story is legit.

Be understanding that we have to be somewhat careful when listening to what you're saying. After all, it doesn't happen every day.

What country was this in? If it was in the USA, what state (if you don't mind mentioning, the city)?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Frak, maybe you don't realize the weight of what you're telling us. That's why we're still talking about it. A story like this needs to be featured in a newspaper or some well known website. They'd need to corroborate what you've said, but it is definitely worth it. It helps everyone ensure that your story is legit.

Be understanding that we have to be somewhat careful when listening to what you're saying. After all, it doesn't happen every day.

What country was this in? If it was in the USA, what state (if you don't mind mentioning, the city)?
    Ada, OK, USA
    A couple of years ago, I don't know any newspaper that put it in, nobody really cared, I live with rednecks, no offence to anybody from Oklahoma. The service woman apologized and we all acted as if nothing happened, here crime is rampant, so this type of thing is not unusual, in fact we've had 3 murders just this month, and some kid hacked the high school and stole a sum of about 200 students SSN's, so nothing unusual here, my incident was not enough to even be considered, may have been, I don't know, I never read the newspaper here, don't need the news from them, that's what the first 15 channels on TV are for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry Frak, I think your story is frak too.

I've been lucky with salespeople - I mostly shop at **** Smith's which is an electronics store. All the salespeople I've talked to about Linux have either used it or know someone who does.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm. I had to provide tech support for banking applications to some banks in Ada, OK. Your story becomes a little bit more believable to me...

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't mind for what the police did, they were doing their job, protecting the peace and innocence, and providing safety to everybody, I don't blame the woman, for she was just doing her job, and reacting on the safety of everybody, and the police never reacted on "He was using Linux", they heard "He's doing malicious thing inside his home, with his computer, and trying to hack people's accounts, and yada yada yada", see phishing here was common, so this was common, but I didn't do anything wrong, we all apologized and acted as nothing happened, they were all doing their jobs, just some miscomunication and misunderstanding was involved.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast