View Poll Results: What are your experiences with the Common Cold in relation to having a relapse?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I typically have a relapse when I get the cold

2 22.22%
  • I have had a relapse, though it is the exception to the rule

2 22.22%
  • I have never had a relapse from the Common Cold

5 55.56%

Thread: Relapse from the Common Cold

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Relapse from the Common Cold

I recently started feeling better from a cold, until yesterday, the sore throat and sniffles returned (typically the first signs of a cold). I thought to myself, "oh, no, I'm having a relapse. Here we go again..." However, when I came home and delivered the bad news to my room mate, he acted as if having a relapse from the common cold is almost completely unheard of, if not impossible. All I know is that I started getting over my cold, and now it appears to be back. I have set up this thread/poll to see what your experiences with this are.
    Last edited by RChickenMan; December 6th, 2006 at 07:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Relapse from the Common Cold

Quote Originally Posted by RChickenMan View Post
    I recently started feeling better from a cold, until yesterday, the sore throat and sniffles returned (typically the first signs of a cold). I thought to myself, "oh, no, I'm having a relapse. Here we go again..." However, when I came home and delivered the bad news to my room mate, he acted as if having a relapse from the common cold is almost completely unheard of, if not impossible. All I know is that I started getting over my cold, and now it appears to be back. I have set up this thread/poll to see what your experiences with this are.
    Ever read "The Stand" by Stephen King?

/me backs away

Beans

A typical Cold viral infection if treated will last about 7 days , if untreated it will last about a week .

You cannot be reinfected by the same cold virii but you can and it is often the case you will get infected with a new virus.

Also virii infections can kick start the autoimmune system into a hightened state of activiting following an infection and this can manifest in these syptoms.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It depends on the state of your immune system. If you are low in vitamins, minerals, etc, the cold can drag on and on. When being attacked by a virus, your immune system is already struggling, and you can be infected with another virus.
    I reckon that when you have any infection a month's course of vitamins and minerals will top up your deficiencies and give your body the tools to do the job. I am a registered nurse (until 31 December 2006, when my retirement clicks in).
    If your cold continues for over 3 weeks you should see the doctor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post

You cannot be reinfected by the same cold virii but you can and it is often the case you will get infected with a new virus.

Also virii infections can kick start the autoimmune system into a hightened state of activiting following an infection and this can manifest in these syptoms.
    thats what i thought - its impossible to get the same cold virus twice, but because it is constantly mutating, and at such a fast rate, one can be certain that the next time one gets a cold virus it will be a different strain.

i recently had a cold for about 8-9 days, then got an ear infection on about the 8th day. usually(9out of 10 times), colds will last about 1-2 days with me. i don't know why the virus was with me for so long, but the reason for the ear infection was due to a lowered immune system state caused by the cold.