Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much do you use Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How much do you use Ubuntu?

I have a dual booting machine with Ubuntu & XP.
    Use ubuntu 80% of the time, booting XP to play games and use a dial-up network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I use ubuntu un my machine, my whife has xp, and i constantly fix xp computers for freinds.

Mostly reinstall! Virusses etc...

I am hooked... probably will never leave linux ... its a good thing

Beans

I work (mostly) from home, as a software developer, on my Ubuntu desktop.
    When I have to go back to the mothership I use Ubuntu on a slow old dual-booting laptop. I find it much more responsive than the Windows 2000 partition.
    So I do all my surfing, emailing, documentation on Ubuntu using Thunderbird, OpenOffice, FF, etc. But I do my actual coding on a Windows Terminal Server, which I connect to from Ubuntu using rdesktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by md5 View Post
    Windows just for online poker play Ubuntu can do all the rest...
    Have you tried installing PokerStars using wine? Worked for me.

Beans

I use both Ubuntu (and other distros) quiet a lot but I all so use because I love Paint Shop Pro. I did try the paint programs for Linux but they just don't compare wih PSP

Suzy

Beans
    Hidden!

All the time. I use it both at home and at work.
    It's all about people

Beans

I've exclusively used Ubuntu at home since it first came out, I was using Mandrake for about six months before that.
    I originally changed from Linux to Windows as I'd built a pc and found that no version except Win2k would even install, and even that died completely every two days requiring a full reinstallation, so I tried Linux out of sheer desperation.
    In my last IT job, before I gave up IT permanently (woohoo!), I was lucky enough to be able to use Ubuntu there too. Any necessary Windows apps were run under Vmware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use Arch on my laptop (because its old and Arch runs well on it), and Ubuntu on everything else. The only time I use XP is for occasional gaming.

Beans

I use it every day. I have drop ms totally. Except for one machine. (media/file server) don't want to reinstall everything since it's only used for media/file sharing.

Beans
    Hidden!

i switched to linux 3 years ago suse for about 3 months, then gentoo (highly recomended if you want learn linux) but in the last year i'm a bit unsatisfield with gentoo, then i have arch linux a try, nice distro, but after install ubuntu in a friend of mine laptop i decided i found that the easyness and ubuntu package database and package management is the better one.

actualy i can't stand windoze, i know that there is a lot off nice apps for windows like photoshop cs, foobar, clonedvd, reason, that don't run under wine nor have linux counterparts, but i hate windows so much that prefer live without these apps.

windows is a beast that nobody can control, even the creators can't.

@yopnono:

install linux, nfs and sshfs is much better than smb
    Last edited by revertex; January 22nd, 2007 at 07:10 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast