Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Player

Beans

Music Player

I ported to Ubuntu some time ago now, coming from Windows where I used to use iTunes for my media player. I have been using Amarok since having Ubuntu and really like it, but what I am asking is what you use?

What are the benefits of it and the downsides. I have heard a lot of talk of VLC?

..So what do you use and why is it good, I am in the search of a really good music player. I dont care about iPod connectivity of course its all about the music.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Music Player

I use BMPx (http://beep-media-player.org) at the moment, it has great Last.fm support, which is the main reason I like it. The interface is geared toward usability and simplicity.

It's not that stable yet though. But it's getting better, compiling 0.36.0~rc1 as I'm typing this

Rhythmbox is also a nice player, simple and pretty fast too. Listen is something I should try out too, heard a lot of good things about it.
    Last edited by xopher; December 5th, 2006 at 01:04 AM.

Beans

rhythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1987 View Post
    I ported to Ubuntu some time ago now, coming from Windows where I used to use iTunes for my media player. I have been using Amarok since having Ubuntu and really like it, but what I am asking is what you use?

What are the benefits of it and the downsides. I have heard a lot of talk of VLC?

..So what do you use and why is it good, I am in the search of a really good music player. I dont care about iPod connectivity of course its all about the music.
    for functionality, amarok is probably amongst the best, although there are other audio players that suppport more formats (such as Listen). i use amarok for the time being for playing ogg files. every time i try to use amarok to play a cd, it crashes, so i use KsCD instead for that.
    VLC is a fantastic video player. in fact, its the best on linux IMO.

Beans

amaroK is good..
    VLC is better
    and if you liked iTunes , Songbird can be an option due to its style..

Beans

mplayer is the best open source media player period. if you just want to play music use xmms. Its a clone of winamp. Amarok is good but if you don't like it use xmms.

wouldn't amarok support more music because it runs on the xine engine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by darkhatter View Post
    mplayer is the best open source media player period. if you just want to play music use xmms. Its a clone of winamp. Amarok is good but if you don't like it use xmms.

wouldn't amarok support more music because it runs on the xine engine.
    no, amarok doesn't support more music. you can checkout the supported formats of the various players here.

from my experience, mplayer often falls down on certain formats whereas VLC plays everything that one throws at it (FLAWLESSLY, unlike player)
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; December 5th, 2006 at 01:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

mplayer doesn't support as many formats as VLC. from my experience, mplayer often falls down on certain formats whereas VLC plays everything that one throws at it.
    I have directly opposite experiences but hey, it's life (lol).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm using Songbird, it is really nice, despite being in Alpha stage. Can't wait till it is finished, I already like it more than the other players (then again I'm an iTunes fan) so finished will be superb I am betting.

It has a nice interface, I'm intruiged by the extensions aspect, and of course the most important part, it is in black

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stuh84 View Post
    and of course the most important part, it is in black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast