View Poll Results: Which do you prefer on Ubuntu?

Voters
1033. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firefox

660 63.89%
  • Opera

286 27.69%
  • Other

87 8.42%
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox vs. Opera vs. ...

Beans

Re: Firefox vs Opera vs IE

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?
    I've lost all my bookmarks 3 times this summer (WindowsXP version).

So I posted the problem on the MozillaZine forums and someone told me to install this extension: http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?extension=bb .

I haven't had it long enough to see if it does what it says it does but hopefully it will and the developers at Mozilla Corp will incorperate it into the Firefox's default install.

As for Opera the only thing I can say is: bloated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.
    Firefox loads almost instantaneously on Windows XP on my machine. Firefox on Linux takes a lot longer to load than Firefox on Windows.

Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.
    I'm not sure about Firefox freezing on Linux because I haven't seen it happen, but on Windows XP it can and does occasionally freeze. Most of the time it is with PDF documents and/or QuickTime content and/or certain webpages. I've also had Firefox freeze with Java on Windows XP. I don't think I've ever had Firefox freeze with tons of tabs (like 20+) open though.

I used Opera way back before even Netscape 6 was released. I don't know what version it was because it was so long ago. But Opera would crash or freeze ALL THE TIME making it the most flakey piece of software I have ever used on Windows. That turned me off of Opera and I haven't used it since.

Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?
    I've never had a profile lost in Firefox and I've been using it since the summer of 2003. It's very easy to backup your bookmarks also, just backup the bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak files. As a matter of fact, these bookmark files are interchangeable between Windows and Linux. When I transitioned to Linux, I got my bookmarks from Firefox on Windows by copying these two files.

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?
    Both IE and Firefox take the same amount of time to load on Windows XP on my machine. I'm not sure how one can even compare load times since IE doesn't even support tabs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    As for Opera the only thing I can say is: bloated.
    Actually, less so than Firefox.

Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

The one thing I prefer about firefox over epiphany is the drop-down box from the address bar, which I find convenient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Opera is bloated? Golly whiz, for a 3.6MB download you get browsing, RSS, e-mail, Usenet and IRC. Feature bloated, maybe, but small and sleek otherwise. If they stuck to browsing alone it might all fit on a floppy.

Firefox 1.0.6 - 4.7MB
    Safari 1.2 - 7MB
    Mozilla 1.X - 11MB
    Internet Explorer 6 - 12MB
    Netscape 8 - 12.9MB

And it's no "uglier" than IE, Firefox or Epiphany. The default skin isn't all that pretty, mind you, but neither is Firefox's. You can skin it any way you like. Panther's nice... Here's a screen cap:

Beans

Firefox vs Opera vs IE?

Is there a point to such a thread? Opera is definitely the best, of course!

More seriously, I believe that comparing browsers is like comparing OSes. Since none of them are perfect, the best one for you is the one that suits you best, but it will probably turn out to be the worst one for your neighbour.

Beans

I just 10 minutes ago jumped ship from Firefox to Opera. Opera is the ugliest bit of software I've ever seen, but at least it is fast to the point of being functional. Firefox's sluggishness and leaks finally tipped me over the edge. I'm not saying I'll never try it again, but at the moment I spend more time waiting for things to load and render than I do viewing content. It's a shame Opera chose Qt.

Cheers,
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

One word: Epiphany!
    Fast, reliable and it goes for your theme!
    Download size 1,8 mb - installed size 9,0 mb

My 0.00002 euro
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; October 20th, 2005 at 08:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Epiphany for me, too. I'm all about the smart bookmarks, too.

Mark
    "Barn burnt down; now I can see the moon." - Masahide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Firefox > IE hands down.

Haven't tried Opera yet, but I say one thing the Opera people should do is change the ugly name into something modren.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast