View Poll Results: Which do you prefer on Ubuntu?

Voters
1033. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firefox

660 63.89%
  • Opera

286 27.69%
  • Other

87 8.42%
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox vs. Opera vs. ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Firefox vs. Opera vs. ...

Does anyone think that the Spreadfirefox guys are slightly over-zealous?

I mean, prancing around with the picture of a fox painted on your face, or on a t-shirt doesn't sound very sane to me..

And the browser, well, I know it is a free product, and it is very good, but compared to Opera 8, I think it has a few problems.

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.
    Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.
    Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?

Re: Firefox vs Opera vs IE

I do but i dont have Opera so i can't say anything 'bout it

Beans

Firefox definitely has resource consumption (CPU and memory) issues compared to both IE and Opera, and leaks memory like a sieve. 1.5 is supposed to help with a lot of these, though.

It's still my favourite browser, though, even though Opera is technically superior, better-written, and more innovative - I can't image using anything else

Beans

Hmm...
    I love firefox.

Opera is too ugly for me.

What about epiphany... All bored2k has been talking about on IRC is epiphany this epiphany that...

majikstreet

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I think Firefox version 1.5 is due out in a month or so and with any luck so these problems will become history

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Firefox is sluggish, but problems with profiles is something I've never had. Never lost a bookmark or anything.

When I was still on Windows I used Opera for "speed browsing", when I needed to quickly open and close a lot of windows, but for some reason the Linux version is quite a bit slower so it no longer has that advantage. The rest of the features Opera has is stuff I don't (voluntarily) use anyway. With mouse gestures enabled I end up doing things I don't want every 5 minutes, so those has to go. All keyboard shortcuts has to be removed too, or else I'll end up on Opera's portal when I meant to paste and things like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've become far too accustomed to Firefox to ever switch to the comparatively overcomplicated Opera or simplistic Epiphany myself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What about just plain Mozilla? I know that it's similar to FireFox, but I've noticed too many differences in ordert to slap these two together.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    Firefox definitely has resource consumption (CPU and memory) issues compared to both IE and Opera, and leaks memory like a sieve. 1.5 is supposed to help with a lot of these, though.
    Although Firefox consumes quite a bit of resources, I'm surprised that it has a memory leak.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    Does anyone think that the Spreadfirefox guys are slightly over-zealous?

I mean, prancing around with the picture of a fox painted on your face, or on a t-shirt doesn't sound very sane to me..
    I think they do it for fun, just like there is some sport fans who thinks it's fun to take that too far.

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.
    The only case when firefox is slow for me is when I use the back and forward buttons, somehow it takes 4-5 times as long to display a page it already has loaded then to request a new page from the server. It must be a bug.

I know it is always slow for others though, specially for people who are on dail up and are used to IE's habit of speeding things up by caching all the junk in temporary internet files.
    Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.
    It freezes only once per year or so for me.

Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?
    I've never lost a profile, maybe cause I have only one. Why does it have profiles anyway? Shouldn't separate settings for each user be handled by storing the settings in /home/user/.firefox/?

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast