View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 61 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yther View Post
    What do we need to do in order to get all of the Ubuntu customizations (patches?) so that our starting config will be the same as the kernels they ship?

Thanks for any ideas!
    Best bet would be to just use the Ubuntu kernel sources, and change your config from there IMHO.
    The issue is that Ubuntu heavily patches their kernel source and to do the equivalent would require a lot of manual edits on your part (creating and modifying makefiles, grabbing all the sources, etc...)

If you'd rather not use the Ubuntu kernel sources to roll your own custom kernel, you could 1)patch the kernel with any desired upstream patches and 2) compile required modules without their own patches outside of the kernel tree (much easier than incorporation).

Anyone have any other thoughts on the issue?

cheers,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by 5-HT View Post
    Best bet would be to just use the Ubuntu kernel sources, and change your config from there IMHO.
    The issue is that Ubuntu heavily patches their kernel source and to do the equivalent would require a lot of manual edits on your part (creating and modifying makefiles, grabbing all the sources, etc...)
    That's exactly what I want to do—start with Ubuntu's configuration and just take out the stuff I don't need, while making sure the things I really want (wireless & sound drivers) are included. I had looked through the list of kernel sources before, but for some reason "linux-source" didn't jump out at me as the one to grab. Now I've got that package installed, and next time I've got a couple hours to spare I'll go through it and try to make it my own.
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's exactly what I want to do—start with Ubuntu's configuration and just take out the stuff I don't need, while making sure the things I really want (wireless & sound drivers) are included. I had looked through the list of kernel sources before, but for some reason "linux-source" didn't jump out at me as the one to grab. Now I've got that package installed, and next time I've got a couple hours to spare I'll go through it and try to make it my own.
    Timeout. If you followed my guide correctly and ran 'make oldconfig' as it said, the configuration should automatically be the same as the Ubuntu kernel's.

EDIT: I don't think the Ubuntu patches are included in the mainstream kernel, however. You can try installing linux-source (that's the one with the patches), and then follow my guide from there.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Timeout. If you followed my guide correctly and ran 'make oldconfig' as it said, the configuration should automatically be the same as the Ubuntu kernel's.

EDIT: I don't think the Ubuntu patches are included in the mainstream kernel, however. You can try installing linux-source (that's the one with the patches), and then follow my guide from there.
    Right. Your guide (which is very nice, as it gives me a package for easy maintenance and deals with the GRUB menu) gives us the unmodified Linux kernel, what we'd call the "vanilla" kernel over in Gentoo Land. I was looking for a label like "Ubuntu-sources" and didn't find it the first time around. Now I've got the right package, and it only remains to go through and turn off the 1,001 things I know I don't need, and turn on the 2 or 3 that I am missing.

It's always easier to find things when you know what you're looking for!
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Beans

Hi all. Wow this thread is long, didn't find by searching so sorry if this is asked already.
    Im just wondering why this guide does not use src group to do compiling. I always thought that would be the way to do it instead of doing everything as super user. Ideally you would do downloading, unpacking, patching, configuring, compiling, and cleaning as a user in src group, and finally just sudo install compiled packages. Is there a reason why it is not done like that?

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Howto: Installing and using KernelCheck

KernelCheck 1.0.5 has been released!

Changelog (Key features only):
    • Added safe halt support (signal trapping) in both stages
    • Added network test (thanks to walkerk)
    • Added support for background processes
    • KernelCheck will not freeze anymore EXCEPT on security updates
    • Added security update ability

The 'Check for Updates' button in KernelCheck 1.0.4 (or patched 1.0.3r1) should automatically detect this upgrade. This has been tested with version 1.0.4.

Download at SF.net, or the download page.

Post questions, comments, etc. here.
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Re: The Best of the Ubuntu Community

Project NVU 64

NVU for 64-bit Ubuntu (AMD64)
    Works with Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy

Visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=551060

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tono View Post
    Hi all. Wow this thread is long, didn't find by searching so sorry if this is asked already.
    Im just wondering why this guide does not use src group to do compiling. I always thought that would be the way to do it instead of doing everything as super user. Ideally you would do downloading, unpacking, patching, configuring, compiling, and cleaning as a user in src group, and finally just sudo install compiled packages. Is there a reason why it is not done like that?
    I have not heard of this method of approach. Does this work? Last I checked Ubuntu did not create a group named src.

Beans
    Distro

Right. Your guide (which is very nice, as it gives me a package for easy maintenance and deals with the GRUB menu) gives us the unmodified Linux kernel, what we'd call the "vanilla" kernel over in Gentoo Land. I was looking for a label like "Ubuntu-sources" and didn't find it the first time around. Now I've got the right package, and it only remains to go through and turn off the 1,001 things I know I don't need, and turn on the 2 or 3 that I am missing.

It's always easier to find things when you know what you're looking for!
    Sure is. Good Luck!

Beans

I used this method and I ended up with two deb files like it said. However, they were not called linux...etc they started with the word "kernel-image" and "kernel-headers".

It installed fine, but whenever I install anything, it says "E: Cannot find packaged Linux-headers-2.6.22.7"

It looks like it's looking for the wrong deb file. Mine is kernel... and its looking for linux...

Help! What can I do???

Page 61 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast