View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 52 of 152 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RonB123123 View Post
    I installed the kernel and everything seems to be working fine. When I choose Ubuntu from the grub menu, I see an error message real quick that says something like this.

MCFG something something is not reserved.

Is there anyway to avoid this error? or a way to fix it?
    Is this your error message?
    BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
    If so...
    This is a BIOS Bug, not a kernel bug. If your computer boots normally otherwise then just ignore this error. This bug is reported at Launchpad here. Somebody suggested using the following boot option:
    pci=nommconf
    This may or may not work, but it doesn't hurt to try. Just add it to the kernel options in your /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Keep in touch!

master_kernel
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Just reminding KernelCheck users of Release 1.0.3 Revision 1
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Just reminding KernelCheck users of Release 1.0.3 Revision 1
    Thanks for providing a great program. I used kernel check to do an automatic upgrade of my kernel to 2.6.22.6 and it went fine.
    I would like to suggest that you place a small guide to using it and what to expect on your website for noobs like me. For example what to name the .configure file? and all the questions that get asked, I stayed with defaults except the processor type. And what does the m stand for in y/n/m ??

Thanks heaps again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you master_kernel, but where do I put pci=nommconf ?

This is my menu.lst file after I put the above in. Is this correct?

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/sda1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

title Ubuntu 2.6.22.5
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5 root=UUID=e73da171-ee74-48ef-8907-10ab3bd0b0c2 ro quiet splash rootflags=data=writeback
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22.5
    quiet
    savedefault
    pci=nommconf

title Ubuntu (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5 root=UUID=e73da171-ee74-48ef-8907-10ab3bd0b0c2 ro single rootflags=data=writeback
    pci=nommconf
    Is the above correct? Thank you.

~Ron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you master_kernel, but where do I put pci=nommconf ?

This is my menu.lst file after I put the above in. Is this correct?

Is the above correct? Thank you.

~Ron
    No that is not correct. Add pci=nommconf add the end of the line that says kernel (in the section of the kernel you want to boot with that option.
    From recent experience: don't change the recovery mode kernel line unless you're sure that it will work. Although you can still edit the options from the grub boot menu.

styrofoam cup
    : m stands for compiling as a module and not statically in the kernel. I think it won't be loaded if not necessary.
    Last edited by Tiftof; September 3rd, 2007 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh okay I think I get it now.

Like this, right?
    title Ubuntu 2.6.22.5 pci
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5 root=UUID=e73da171-ee74-48ef-8907-10ab3bd0b0c2 ro quiet splash rootflags=data=writeback pci=nommconf
    quiet
    savedefault

title Ubuntu (recovery mode) pci
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5 root=UUID=e73da171-ee74-48ef-8907-10ab3bd0b0c2 ro single rootflags=data=writeback pci=nommconf
    ~Ron

Beans
    Distro

Oh okay I think I get it now.

Like this, right?

~Ron
    Correctamundo.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by styrofoam cup View Post
    Thanks for providing a great program. I used kernel check to do an automatic upgrade of my kernel to 2.6.22.6 and it went fine.
    I would like to suggest that you place a small guide to using it and what to expect on your website for noobs like me. For example what to name the .configure file? and all the questions that get asked, I stayed with defaults except the processor type. And what does the m stand for in y/n/m ??

Thanks heaps again.
    Great idea! I'll try to have a Docs link on the website by the end of this week. "m" stands for module. What do you mean by naming the .configure file?

Beans

I just had a terrible experience of compiling kernel on Ubuntu and hope for some help from you.

I have to recompile the kernel because I needed 2 minor changes in the code without changing the kernel much, so I wanted to unpack the source suitable for the current stock kernel (2.6.20-16), apply my changes, recompile it using exactly the same configuration and install it.

What I did:
    1. Updated the stock kernel to 2.6.20-16 from 2.6.20-15 that came on the CD., rebooted with no problems
    2. Installed build-essential etc.
    3. installed linux-source-2.6.20 , unpacked it in /usr/src , made a symlink
    4. make-kpgk clean ; make-kpkg --append-to-version=-mychanges --initrd kernel-image modules-image
    5. 3 hours compile time later... resulted in a 24MB-large package in /usr/src
    6. dpkg -i linux....deb

Now it looks like the kernel is being installed, it even has exactly the same size as the stock vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic, but then it turns out that initrd being written is so huge I run out of free space on /boot, and the installation aborts with an error.

apt-get remove linux....-mychanges reports that installed size is around 580MB! How is this possible, when the deb package is just 24? Why is my initrd so large?

Right now I'm trying to install the kernel by hand and not use initrd by compiling in support for filesystems, so the kernel can mount root partition directly. I noticing however that if I make another make without clean, I get a lot of warnings during compile, something like "symbol xxx is now in incorrect position" (sorry can't post the exact warning right now), and I wonder what difficulties will I encounter next...

Update: didn't work - I get kernel panic with "please append correct root= option". So far I tried root=UUID=XXXXXXXX, as the normal options use, root=/dev/sda3 (why is even IDE drive now sda ?) and root=/dev/hda3, all yield same message. In my experience, grub entry as simple as

Code:
    title=Some Title
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /kernel-2.6.XX-version root=/dev/hda3
    always worked perfectly for kernels compiled without using initrd.
    Last edited by Sekuhara; September 5th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Great idea! I'll try to have a Docs link on the website by the end of this week. "m" stands for module. What do you mean by naming the .configure file?
    Great. As for naming the .configure file, during the kernel upgrade a window appeared and asked what to name the file it wanted to save. I thought wtf? It allready had the name .configure so i called it wtf.configure as I had no idea what the file was for. I guess it is where the defaults for the kernel are saved and that .configure is the propper name.
    I was unprepared for any questions that didn't have totally obvious answers as there was no documentation on what to expect during the upgrade and it is something that I have never done before.

Thanks again for a fine program.

Page 52 of 152 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast