View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 142 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

i follow and reference your master kernel thread post frequently. i must say, this post is priceless! thank you!

i was wondering, why not use fakeroot for the make-kpkg command? use of root to compile code is considered unwise, possibly dangerous, etc.

here are some discussions on the use of root to compile code:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-u...msg332985.html
    http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

by using fakeroot, users can compile the kernel and create the debian packages without root privileges.

one benefit to this is the ability to store the linux source in their home directory. e.g., i now have my source in ~/src.

the changes to the guide would be

1. add fakeroot to the build command:
    Code:
    INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-mk kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    2. remove the unnecessary command:
    Code:
    sudo -s
    3. use sudo to install the new kernel packages
    Code:
    cd .. && sudo dpkg -i linux*2.6.32*.deb
    4. since /usr/src is a root owned directory, change appropriate paths to ~/src (or similar)

thoughts?

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

I would really appreciate if someone helped me with the problem described in detail here: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1397033.

It is necessary for me to compile the new kernel because of issues with WiFi driver but for the lasts 2 months I have been unable to do so.
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

going on a guess here...

i'm guessing this nvidia-common junk running during "dpkg -i" is the nvidia driver failing to install?
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
    obviously you're using nvidia drivers; do you use the proprietary drivers Ubuntu distributes? or do you download the drivers from nvidia's website and install manually (my method)?

perhaps if you're using Ubuntu's distributed version, try uninstalling/disabling the nvidia drivers, then installing the kernel debian packages, and finally, reinstalling/enabling the nvidia drivers... ??

however, i recommend installing the nvidia drivers manually, unless you're already doing this :-/
    Last edited by Klondikes; February 18th, 2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: typos

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Klondikes View Post
    going on a guess here...

i'm guessing this nvidia-common junk running during "dpkg -i" is the nvidia driver failing to install?

obviously you're using nvidia drivers; do you use the proprietary drivers Ubuntu distributes? or do you download the drivers from nvidia's website and install manually (my method)?

perhaps if you're using Ubuntu's distributed version, try uninstalling/disabling the nvidia drivers, then installing the kernel debian packages, and finally, reinstalling/enabling the nvidia drivers... ??

however, i recommend installing the nvidia drivers manually, unless you're already doing this :-/
    I am using Nvidias drivers installed manually which I need to reinstall for every new kernel. Can you advice something in this case?
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
    I am using Nvidias drivers installed manually which I need to reinstall for every new kernel. Can you advice something in this case?
    Perhaps...

are/were you not using an old version of nvidia drivers (180)?? the latest is 190.x. however, i suppose it may depend upon your graphics card. if i remember correctly, the 180.x drivers failed to install on 9.04. perhaps the problem is nvidia driver residue (see links below)

more interestingly, the output of my kernel installations never mentions anything about nvidia*. DKMS output runs through only the VirtualBox drivers as shown below:

Code:
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
     * Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.31-20-core2
     *  vboxdrv (3.1.4)...           vboxdrv (3.1.4): Already installed on this kernel.
                                     [ OK ]
     *  vboxnetadp (3.1.4)...        vboxnetadp (3.1.4): Already installed on this kernel.
                                     [ OK ]
     *  vboxnetflt (3.1.4)...        vboxnetflt (3.1.4): Already installed on this kernel.
                                     [ OK ]

Setting up linux-headers-2.6.31-20 (2.6.31-20.57) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-2.6.31-20-core2 (2.6.31-20.57) ...
    are you positive the nvidia drivers distributed by Ubuntu are uninstalled/deactivated? have you used them in the past? did you perhaps modify something (in the past or recently) to automatically install the nvidia drivers upon kernel installation? are the nvidia drivers properly removed (see links below)?

by manually install nvidia drivers, i mean this:
    1. install kernel: dpkg -i ...
    2. reboot
    3. notice X/kdm/gdm fails to start b/c nvidia drivers are not installed
    3. log in CLI mode and run sudo sh ./NVIDIA_drivers_190.53.sh ...
    4. reboot
    5. ???
    6. profit

if you haven't killed google yet, try googleing "DKMS tree must be manually fixed". here are two results that look semi-promising:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/261816
    http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-b...sg1011629.html

another tip: try installing this "problematic" kernel on a separate physical or virtual machine on top of a fresh install of 9.04 (or whatever distro you're working with) to prove the custom kernel is OK.

if all else fails and you do not have a spare machine or VMs are impossible, save a backup copy the kernel you built, reinstall 9.04, install updates, then install the custom kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TSJason View Post
    Melcar,

Is there any mention of "run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20" above what you have pasted here? If so, then I believe running this should solve it: "sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-common"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-common
    try this ^^
    then install your custom kernel

Beans

I am using 190.53. However, since always, have been seeing module nvidia 180.xx trying to load at system bootup, even though I have never been using it. Still, I was able to install several custom kernels before.
    As for nvidia-common, I purged it long ago as I had no use for it.

Knowing all that, do you still recommend pursuing the issue described as "DKMS tree must be manually fixed"?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i would purge nvidia-common first. check out TSJason's post. his post is the solution to Melcar's problem which sounds exactly like yours.

Beans

As I said, there is nothing to purge. I will try TSJason's solution and report back.

Beans

Well, his solution was to purge nvidia-common which I did last summer, so I am back to square one.

Page 142 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast