View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 11 of 152 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

What nvidia driver version are u using?
    Actually right now I've succeded in both 8776/9746 in 2.6.20-rc7.
    Maybe you just need some patching for your nvdia driver.
    It's better if you can go to the nvidia linux forum and ask there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glennric View Post
    So are you saying that you got the nvidia module to compile? I tried deselecting everything about riva and nvidia and it still won't compile the nvidia module. Has anyone had any success on this?
    hope this will help you
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

Beans

I'm currently using the kernel: 2.6.15-27-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT, and thought I'd give this a go to see if I can speed things up some more, and maybe access something more than the 2.7GB I can see of my 4GB ram at present (using the tempting looking 64GB option in the setup thingy).

The setup / compilation process seemed to go ok. On reboot I found it was complaining about the 8254 timer not being connected, but adding the noapic seemed to make that go away. But then I get the following errors:

"could not load modules.dep" first time I tried
    something about pnp end problems? next time I tried (btw - where can I find the boot logs? Sorry, I'm a bit of a linux noob).

...and at that point it would just hang. Any suggestions? Even if someone could just point me to a version of the kernel, precompiled, for a pentium d 940 with the 64GB memory option selected then that would be helpful.

Beans

Oh, and if you need multiple tries to get it right, is there some way to avoid repeating the whole download+setup+compile+install process? Say by starting at the setup point?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

2.6.20 is out. Just FYI...
    Main Rig: Athlon XP 2800+ (Overclocked) | 512MB Corsair DDR400 Dual Channel | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    Linux Registered User - #423753

Beans

Hi,

Has anyone tried this tutorial with the 2.6.17-10 kernel??
    Or does anyone know a good guide to compile the 2.6.17-10 kernel from kernel.org?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by xfred View Post
    Oh, and if you need multiple tries to get it right, is there some way to avoid repeating the whole download+setup+compile+install process? Say by starting at the setup point?
    yes, if you are using the same source as before, you can reconfigure/recompile the kernel without redownloading

just do these in the directory where the source is (/usr/src/linux):

Code:
    make xconfig
    make-kpkg clean
    make-kpkg -initrd --revision=386 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    this needs to be done as root if the source is in /usr/src (do sudo -s -H before the above steps) as stated before, you can change the --revision argument to whatever you fancy

note that the new packages will probably have the same name/revision as the old packages, and should replace them

If you recompile the kernel a lot, try looking up the ccache program

Beans

Hi there,

I've just compiled the 2.6.20 on my "Dell Optiplex 210L" and everything went fine, apart from 1 or 2 things.

- My usb drive won't mount automatically in my gnome environment
    - When I boot, between the grub-gdm stage, my screen goes blank (no info on the screen like checking blablabla... starting blablabla...)

Any ideas ?

Thankx in advance

Beans

Me found also an way to get my own 2.6.20 booting on my C2D Intel 965 mainboard.

I added some modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

ahci
    sd_mod
    scsi_mod
    libata
    ata_generic
    pata_jmicron
    ahci
    ata_piix

dont know if i need all but thats the moduls the are loaded when i boot an "feisty beta kernel"
    so me added it to the modules list that initramfs know which modules it have to add to the initrd.

The only prob me now have is that i dont see anythings on the TFT while booting if me disable the splashscreen and add an vga= to grub. (this worked with the old kernel)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

UPDATED FOR 2.6.20 KERNEL

Page 11 of 152 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast