View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 92 of 152 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

please someone check out my post at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post4299292

i reput it here because i was told to

Beans

For those of you trying to run the latest kernel (2.6.24.x) might have a problem with starting avahi-daemon. To test if yours is running,
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart
    You may receive an error of something like:
    Code:
    Timeout reached while wating for return value
    Could not receive return value from daemon process.
    If it runs successfully, please ignore the rest of the post.

If not, you will have to enable the "Default Linux Capabilities" (SECURITY_CAPABILITIES). It is at Security options > Enable different security models > Default Linux Capabilities.

This option becomes disabled if you follow all the default answers when you issue the command:
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    Hope this saves some of your googling times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thank You Thank You Thank You

I am a long time linux user (RedHat, Gentoo, CentOS) and I installed Ubuntu on my my temp workstation (due to CPU burned out on my main one) that is a 800Mhz with 250M ram and I did not want to wait all week for Gentoo to compile on it so I installed Ubuntu on it cause of all the hype I have read about it.

Needless to say Ubuntu has lived up to its ratings.

I wanted to compile the kernel but have never done it on a deb OS before and when I found this link it worked flawlessly. Now instead of the default kernel with all the default modules (which I hate anyway) my machine boots up with what I need per my hardware and that is it.

Not only does my machine run faster (considering the CPU speed of course) with the compiled 2.6.24 kernel rather the default install kernel. But my boot time is faster without all the default modules loading.

My deb learning curve is on its way thanks to this VERY helpful howto.

I said all that to say this

Thank You Thank You Thank You

I'll shut up now

Sokertes

Beans

Whenever I do "dpkg -i filename.deb" I always get this message.
    Code:
     linux-image-2.4.19 depends on initrd-tools (>= 0.1.84); however:
      Package initrd-tools is not installed.
    I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and initrd-tools is not available. I'm a fairly new Linux user too and have been messing with this for a day or so and am completely stuck. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spinr34 View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and initrd-tools is not available.Thanks
    initrd-tools has been replaced by initramfs-tools nowadays. You will have to change the dependencies and some postinst scripts in the .deb package. Anyway, why do you want to downgrade to such an old kernel in 7.10?
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Kernel benchmarking

Perhaps you are right, and it is only a placebo effect. It does feel faster and smoother. However, I would be interested in obtaining actual benchmarks for comparison. I am not sure how to do this. Let me know of good ways of obtaining such benchmarks and I will provide numbers.
    Here is the original thread from when the decision to make "generic" kernels was taken:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/019983.html

It has some benchmarking tips and a lot of technical information. As for the "optimized for my processor" debate, read the explanation how the "generic" kernel chooses optimizations for the processor type at boot-up (run-time) instead of having only optimizations for one kernel type compiled in.

I'm not sure how you could say it was a Placebo effect, especially when I picked my processor type and turned off system tick or whatever it is called.
    Turning off important features like "system tick" might make a difference but in many cases these things can be tuned or disabled by kernel flags and sysctl.conf, and you can avoid the whole compiling story. Secondly, if for instance "system tick" has a measurable negative influence, it would be good to report it and have it fixed for everybody.

However, I noticed ~5 fps increase in playing World of Warcraft through wine (and yes, smoother and more responsive as well).
    I don't know what your +5 fps would correspond to in percentage, but it sounds like a clear improvement. If this is a reproducible, statistically valid measure, it would be interesting to track down the reason for it.

PS. See also an old forum discussion on this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=257544
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Well, no more kernel compiling for me for a while. I decided to just wipe the drive and install OpenBSD because I am somewhat familiar with Unix and I have heard how reliable this OS is. So far it is good, the documentation is great, and I don't have to spend a lot of time configuring security like you have to on Linux.

So sorry, can't benchmark after all, LOL.

Beans

so do you mean , if i run the kernelcheck, i don't have to go through all this steps ?
    or is it better to go through all these steps rather than running kernelcheck ?

i clicked "Build the latest kernel" option in kernelcheck,
    and i will wait for your comments before going through all these steps.

Beans

when using kernelcheck , what is the subarchitecture type we should select?
    beside it asks for too many [y/n] questions, how to make decision for them,
    if I have no idea, why that question is being asked.

it asks soo many questions , that at 1 point, i was just clicking "enter" without reading
    anything, and I am so scared, that I might have to reinstall my ubuntu if something went wrong.
    Last edited by cherry316316; February 18th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Holding enter won't harm anything, it just selects the default option.

mahuyar, I have the avahi-daemon problem as well, is it worth fixing, will it cause any problems not having it running? And is there a way of fixing it without re-compiling the kernel?

Page 92 of 152 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast