View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 9 of 152 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Master Kernel Thread

A really good source of information and background on setting kernel options can be found in this book by kernel hacker Greg Kroah-Hartman:

http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

You can download the full book as a series of pdfs.
    I used this book to construct a minimal kernel for my system i.e. I stripped out all the drivers and options irrelevant to my hardware. Worked first time believe it or not thanks to Greg's book.
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dolny View Post
    K. Solved the problem and compiled it

This was my problem, and following the link and editing toshiba.c worked for me
    Can you please tell me how you used that patch?

I am trying to understand the message, but I don't..

If you or anybody can help me out? thanks!
    I need toshiba support on my laptop, and I am almost there..

Beans

I have tried alot searching everywhere and nowhere, but I cannot find an answer.
    I have an HP/Compaq nc6400 notebook with ubuntu running on it. I want to use the 2.6.19.2 kernel and can get it to compile, however, I get the 'waiting for root filesystem' error (it hangs after this). I know this is a matter of compiling in your SATA drivers, however which modules do I need? The laptop has an Intel 945M chipset. I have the AHCI and the Intel PIIMX/ICH5/6/7/8 modules compiled in, yet I still get the same error! What other modules do I need?

Thanks!

EDIT: I added all the possible SATA drivers and still it gives me the same. I use the following controller:
    Code:
    tinuz@tinuz-laptop:~$ lspci | grep IDE
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    Last edited by Tinuz; January 24th, 2007 at 10:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi all!
    I've just compiled a kernel, but _without_ make oldconfig, so I tried to collect all those features I would need myself.
    Now I got two problems: when booting this kernel, I got a panic with "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block" which usually means that the filesytem or the hdd-driver is compiled as a module or is not compiled at all. Since this is not our case, I tried to edit the kernel options at boot-time manually, and deleted the "root=longUUIDnumber" -part, and after it the kernel started. Is there any way to make the kernel recognize these UUID-numbers in the menu.lst?
    The other thing, that I don't get a nice ubuntu splash screen during booting.
    What options should be selected to solve these problems?

Thanx for help...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I can't get the kernel to compile. I keep getting.
    Code:
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19'
    CHK     include/linux/version.h
    CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1751 modules
    WARNING: Can't handle masks in drivers/ide/pci/atiixp:FFFF05
    WARNING: "hidinput_trylock_simple" [drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "hidinput_simple_event_post" [drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "hidinput_unlock_simple" [drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "hidinput_lock_simple" [drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko] undefined!
    WARNING: "hidinput_simple_event_filter" [drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko] undefined!
    make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2
    I am also not actually running Ubuntu I am running a straight Debian install so this could be part of the problem. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by GurgieTrueshot; January 25th, 2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spacing was messed up and made it hard to read

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi all - I got the kernel to compile wonderfully, but I forgot to add in the support for my SATA drives. How should I go about adding those in without doing a complete kernel compile again? Thanks in advance!

Beans

A great thanks to the writer. And if someone can tell me please.
    My system seems toy work perfectly with kernel 2.6.19.2 but during boot i get a ton of messages saying modprobe fatal could not load /lib/modules/2.6.19.2/modules.deb. no such file or directory.
    However that file does indeed exist. Could it have something to do with permissions or what.???

Beans

My Broadcom 4318 wireless card is not working under the 2.6.19 kernel with Ndiswrapper. It's still working fine under the 2.6.17 kernel though. What could the reason be?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jpolanco View Post
    My Broadcom 4318 wireless card is not working under the 2.6.19 kernel with Ndiswrapper. It's still working fine under the 2.6.17 kernel though. What could the reason be?
    you mean the ubuntu pre-compiled kernel? Do you have the firmware of the card? Check the help in the kernel config whether you need it! The firmware can be downloaded either from the web, or alternatively you could use the ones installed with the default kernels in /lib/firmware. (Just copying them (and maybe restarting) should be hopefully enough...)

Did this help?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vidak View Post
    you mean the ubuntu pre-compiled kernel? Do you have the firmware of the card? Check the help in the kernel config whether you need it! The firmware can be downloaded either from the web, or alternatively you could use the ones installed with the default kernels in /lib/firmware. (Just copying them (and maybe restarting) should be hopefully enough...)

Did this help?
    Sorry, I'm still a newbie at this, so maybe I'm wrong...But I understood that Ndiswrapper uses windows drivers for the card instead of using the kernel's drivers, right?

Page 9 of 152 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast