View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 65 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Master Kernel Thread

will i have to remove the compiled kernel when i upgrade to gusty gibbon?
    Sempron 3800 2.2GHz 1Gig ram 160GB hdd Geforce 6100

Beans
    Distro

also could i delete the files from the extracted kernel tar?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atlfalcons866 View Post
    will i have to remove the compiled kernel when i upgrade to gusty gibbon?
    Nope. You can easily have many different kernels existing in parallel.

also could i delete the files from the extracted kernel tar?
    Yup.

Beans
    Distro

are you going to update this for 2.6.23?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

are you going to update this for 2.6.23?
    Just did.

Officially announcing mainstream kernel 2.6.23
    Release Date: 09 Oct. 2007 20:50 UTC
    Post update delay: ~22 hours
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

hello,

i need help to set-up the kernel 2.6.23 correctly.

i have built it according to the instructions on page one. it starts fine, but doesn't ask me about the passphrase of my encrypted home-partition.

if i switch to tty after the xserver is up, and enter (as root) : "/etc/init.d/cryptdisks restart" i am not asked for the passphrase.

therefor mount /home gives this error: "special device /dev/mapper/cryptohome does not exist"

can somebody help me to set this up correctly?

EDIT: i found the reason. The kernel was set up correct, but the partitions are not named /dev/sdaX. They are named /dev/hdaX so the cryptsetup-script could not find the right device.
    Last edited by loko; October 12th, 2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Found the reason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    make defconfig does work, but it does not entirely do what I want it to do. What I really want is for make defconfig to "filter" through make oldconfig, only selecting the defaults for modules make oldconfig does not have. I have heard of qconfig, but I have no idea how to use it. Any help is appreciated.

master_kernel
    Hi master_kernel

Ok what I know about first;

gconfig is the same thing as xconfig. Both of these tools are GUI kernel config editors; they are built when the command is issued on the host system, as is the config utility which I think provides menuconfig, oldconfig and just plain ask for questions. Being built at the time, make menuconfig will always work, as will oldconfig, but xconfig and gconfig are dependant on the qt and gtk libraries respectively. Thus if you install the -dev versions of these libraries they will be buildable and usable assuming you are using a desktop environment.

If you try the commands, it'll tell you what libs it wants installing.

Make defconfig just copies /arch/$arch/defconfig to .config in / of the linux k source, so it isn't much use I'm afraid, sorry about that I thought it might respect the old config file.

And what I'm able to make out second:

make silentoldconfig will only ask about NEW modules i.e. ones not in the current kernel configuration, is this what you're after? It defaults over anything not NEW, but doesn't modify what is already there. I think it's been mentioned before and isn't what you're after but it comes closest.

Finally, /dev/sda vs /dev/hda:

I have my BIOS set up so AHCI is enabled in compatibility mode (because Windows can't cope with pure AHCI mode on setup). Thus, I think a PATA driver is taking over and labelling the disks /dev/h i.e. emulating IDE. I'm fixing windows so I should be able to use pure AHCI under linux. Just to be sure I'm removing the driver I think is causing the problem along with anything including PATA in the name. I'll let you know what happens.

Sorry I can't be any more help master_kernel.

Quark_77
    QUARK_77
    Lenovo R61 | Core2 (x64) | 3GB | nVidia Quadro | SATA || Ubuntu Linux | dm-crypt/LUKS | nv | truecrypt (win)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by quark_77 View Post
    Hi master_kernel

Ok what I know about first;

gconfig is the same thing as xconfig. Both of these tools are GUI kernel config editors; they are built when the command is issued on the host system, as is the config utility which I think provides menuconfig, oldconfig and just plain ask for questions. Being built at the time, make menuconfig will always work, as will oldconfig, but xconfig and gconfig are dependant on the qt and gtk libraries respectively. Thus if you install the -dev versions of these libraries they will be buildable and usable assuming you are using a desktop environment.

If you try the commands, it'll tell you what libs it wants installing.

Make defconfig just copies /arch/$arch/defconfig to .config in / of the linux k source, so it isn't much use I'm afraid, sorry about that I thought it might respect the old config file.

And what I'm able to make out second:

make silentoldconfig will only ask about NEW modules i.e. ones not in the current kernel configuration, is this what you're after? It defaults over anything not NEW, but doesn't modify what is already there. I think it's been mentioned before and isn't what you're after but it comes closest.

Finally, /dev/sda vs /dev/hda:

I have my BIOS set up so AHCI is enabled in compatibility mode (because Windows can't cope with pure AHCI mode on setup). Thus, I think a PATA driver is taking over and labelling the disks /dev/h i.e. emulating IDE. I'm fixing windows so I should be able to use pure AHCI under linux. Just to be sure I'm removing the driver I think is causing the problem along with anything including PATA in the name. I'll let you know what happens.

Sorry I can't be any more help master_kernel.

Quark_77
    This sda vs. hda thing seems to spread through the vanilla kernels, including mine (when using IDE). When I started using SATA hard drives, this problem no longer affected me.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I get an error trying to make the kernel.

Using source 2.6.23.1
    Code:
    /usr/bin/make -C /lib/modules/2.6.22-10-generic/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver  CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules
    make[4]: Går til katalog '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-10-generic'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.o
    I filen inkluderet af /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.c:1:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.inc:1:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.inc:13,
                     from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.c:1:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:742: fejl: static declaration of ‘jiffies_to_msecs’ follows non-static declaration
    include/linux/jiffies.h:264: fejl: previous declaration of ‘jiffies_to_msecs’ was here
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:761: fejl: static declaration of ‘msecs_to_jiffies’ follows non-static declaration
    include/linux/jiffies.h:266: fejl: previous declaration of ‘msecs_to_jiffies’ was here
    In file included from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.inc:13,
                     from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.c:1:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_save_state’:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:1099: fejl: too many arguments to function ‘pci_save_state’
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_restore_state’:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:1103: fejl: too many arguments to function ‘pci_restore_state’
    make[6]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.o] Fejl 1
    make[5]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore] Fejl 2
    make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver] Fejl 2
    make[4]: Forlader katalog '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-10-generic'
    make[3]: *** [compile] Fejl 2
    make[3]: Forlader katalog '/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
    make[2]: *** [build-stamp] Fejl 2
    make[2]: Forlader katalog '/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
    make[1]: *** [kdist_image] Fejl 2
    make[1]: Forlader katalog '/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
    Module /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver failed.
    Hit return to Continue
    I'm a bit confused that it uses the folder linux-headers-2.6.22-10-generic?

- Knorr

Beans
    Hidden!

And I got this error trying to install kernel 2.6.23:

INSTALL sound/usb/usx2y/snd-usb-usx2y.ko
    mkdir: `/usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/sound/usb/usx2y': Não é um diretório
    cp: acessando `/usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/sound/usb/usx2y': Não é um diretório
    if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23 -r 2.6.23; fi
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/yellowfin.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/strip.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl3501_cs.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1201.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wavelan_cs.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/spectrum_cs.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wavelan.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/netwave_cs.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ray_cs.ko: Invalid argument
    WARNING: Can't read module /usr/src/linux/debian/linux-image-2.6.23/lib/modules/2.6.23/kernel/drivers/net/znet.ko: Invalid argument
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    make[1]: ** [_modinst_post] Erro 139
    make[1]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.6.23'
    make: ** [install/linux-image-2.6.23] Erro 2
    root@autoxtreme:/usr/src/linux#

Page 65 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast