View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 63 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

I have managed to compile the latest kernel and it works but during step 9 i couldn't find the module for my D-link dwl-g510 rev c so i have no wireless. Can someone please tell me what i need to enable and is there any way to add it post compile it would be much appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danzk View Post
    I have managed to compile the latest kernel and it works but during step 9 i couldn't find the module for my D-link dwl-g510 rev c so i have no wireless. Can someone please tell me what i need to enable and is there any way to add it post compile it would be much appreciated
    I did some searching, and it seems like you will need to install ndiswrapper to enable your card. See http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=214888 for this solution, however, the starter of this thread was using Mandrake.

I found a better solution involving ndiswrapper at the Ubuntu Community Wiki site. You can see the guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/DWL-G510. I can sum this guide up pretty easily below.

First, install ndiswrapper. Then follow the steps below.
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    Code:
    cd ~
    Code:
    wget ftp://ftp1.planet.com.tw/Wireless_Lan/WL-3563/DR-WL3563v230.zip
    Code:
    unzip DR-WL3563v230.zip
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i Win98/mrv8k51.inf
    Check if it is installed:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    If so, add it to your /etc/modules:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Code:
    echo "ndiswrapper" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    Then report back here if this works or doesn't work.

Good Luck!
    master_kernel
    Last edited by master_kernel; September 30th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

I found a better solution involving ndiswrapper at the Ubuntu Community Wiki site. You can see the guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/DWL-G510. I can sum this guide up pretty easily below.
    Im sorry but this is no help to me because reversion C uses the RaLink rt61 chipset which uses open source driver and it worked out of the box with feisty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

This is pretty basic, so I'm sure its been asked before, sorry I can't find it...

During the preparation for compiling as per Master Kernal's directions, there are already default choices made for me (Y, N, or M). Are these based on my old config, or is that the system suggesting the most common choices?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by az_s_za View Post
    This is pretty basic, so I'm sure its been asked before, sorry I can't find it...

During the preparation for compiling as per Master Kernal's directions, there are already default choices made for me (Y, N, or M). Are these based on my old config, or is that the system suggesting the most common choices?
    That is the system's suggestion.
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danzk View Post
    Im sorry but this is no help to me because reversion C uses the RaLink rt61 chipset which uses open source driver and it worked out of the box with feisty.
    Sorry that was no help, but I found a howto here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132980.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's based on oldconfig - command "make oldconfig" is executed on config file copied from running kernel.
    If you read first page with manual kernel compilation doc and explanation about KernelCheck you will understand this.
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans

Re: Howto: Installing and using KernelCheck

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Hi, thank you for considering my program.

1. It does run make oldconfig, but it does not automatically choose the default options. You can choose the default options by holding down ENTER when make oldconfig is run.

2. It does automatically run make xconfig for customization.

master_kernel

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I'm downloading your program now and will use it from now on to keep my kernel up to date. Thanks!

Bye

I will post this separately somewhere too, but I wanted to share a few kernel patches....They should apply cleanly against Ubuntu kernel source, and will probably do the same for vanilla as well. Try both and let me know which is faster for you.

First off, I have all of these as a personal patchset, which is included if you want it. The series file pretty much tells you the patch order, and that sort of thing.

I also wanted to highlight a couple: the hz-864 and hz-432 patches are really good. I wrote the 432 patch. Use the 864 patch for single core processors and the 432 for dual core processors. Make sure to select the appropriate option in the processor menu before compiling.

Also included is the cfs scheduler patches.

Skip any you don't want or need, but I highly suggest using CFS and one of the hz patches.

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PGB5RWDL
    Last edited by ilikenwf; October 2nd, 2007 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenwf View Post
    I will post this separately somewhere too, but I wanted to share a few kernel patches....
    Looks good, I'll try this. I've got a couple of questions about the info in the 'series' file:

# Adaptive readahead
    adaptive+ondemand-readahead-2.6.22.patch #broken
    Does this mean that this patch is broken?

# ATA/SATA patches - One of these breaks ata in
    sata_nv-sw-ncq-support-2.6.22.patch
    Can you clarify this please? =) Will I have SATA and no ATA if I apply this patch?

Page 63 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast