View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 60 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

A question from a newbie to compiling kernels for ubuntu/debian.

First off, my goal is to create a nearly identical kernel to the feisty generic kernel or 2.6.20-15-generic. I am wanting to compile a single addition kernel module (a kernel module that debian and therefore ubuntu dont compile by default), and get this kernel and module onto a router that doesnt have enough room for me to compile a kernel on it. So I want to create a deb file that I can copy to the router and install the kernel that way.

I am using the directions found here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

To get the kernel source, I am using the commands to get the Ubuntu kernel source or:

apt-get source linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic
    apt-get build-dep linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic

At this point I have a new linux kernel directory (linux-source-2.6.20-2.6.20) with everything unpacked in it and diffs applied. I am compiling for the 386 arch, so I am editing the config file found in debian/config/i386.

Question here, how do the arch config files found in debian/config/i386 relate to .config found in the kernel source root? For example, when I read about copying the config file from /boot/config-2.6.20-15-generic to [sourceroot]/.config, how does this .config relate to the configs in i386?

For now I have edited the config in the i386 directory.

I then run

debian/rules updateconfigs

One complaint here, the above command fails, unless I go into debian/bin and make the scripts there executable. Why arent these made executable when the source is installed?

After running the above command, I then run:

AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs

Upon completion of this step, I would assume that I have deb files for each of the flavors in the 386 arch.. However I am having a hard time getting the compile to go to completion.

My compile is failing some time after the modules are made into kernel objects and at

====== making target build [new prereqs: stamp-build]======
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.20-2.6.20/debian/build/build-386'
    Checking module listings...
    Modules have gone missing:
    dccp_probe

Will not continue!
    make: *** [build] Error 1

I have no clue how a module would go missing, AND the last compile I even tried compiling dccp-probe into the kernel and not as a module, and I still get the same error.

Where do I go from here given the goal I stated at the top?

Regards

Beans

Well I'm back with new and improved problems.

My previous issue with patch etc was resolved nicely, I guess I posted before doing my homework.

Anyway I am now in need of getting a module to load (a V4L driver) that is failing on a versioning check and it was recommended that I recompile my kernel with "versioning" off or "force" load the module. The insmod -f command does not seem to do anything different than a plain old insmod so I believe my edgy (2.6.17-12 ) HAS version checking included and does NOT allow force load of modules.

So what I want to do is remake my same kernel but with versioning control off.

So basic steps:

download source (2-6-17-12)
    copy my previous config file? And then run menuconfig or can I not do both? Ie if I've already copied the config will I be able to change anything?
    Is there an easier way other than compiling? Maybe I should give it a try and see what happens as a learning experience.
    Or alternatively would a simple upgrade to 7.04 resolve this?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

Beans
    Hidden!

So, can anyone give me pointers on how to cross compile 2.6.22.6 from 32 bit 6.06 to 64 bit? The 6.06 machine is a fileserver, the 64bit (7.04) machine is my laptop which I need to do my coursework. I've tried a lot of variations on

Code:
    make-kpkg -initrd -cross-compile=amd64 --revision=386 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    with various combinations of -arch, -cross_compile, amd64 and x86_64, but everything gives me something along the lines of
    Code:
    amd64-gcc: command not found
    I *think* I've installed the 64bit gcc compiler, but obviously I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have an idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
    A question from a newbie to compiling kernels for ubuntu/debian.

First off, my goal is to create a nearly identical kernel to the feisty generic kernel or 2.6.20-15-generic. I am wanting to compile a single addition kernel module (a kernel module that debian and therefore ubuntu dont compile by default), and get this kernel and module onto a router that doesnt have enough room for me to compile a kernel on it. So I want to create a deb file that I can copy to the router and install the kernel that way.

I am using the directions found here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

To get the kernel source, I am using the commands to get the Ubuntu kernel source or:

apt-get source linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic
    apt-get build-dep linux-image-2.6.20-15-generic

At this point I have a new linux kernel directory (linux-source-2.6.20-2.6.20) with everything unpacked in it and diffs applied. I am compiling for the 386 arch, so I am editing the config file found in debian/config/i386.

Question here, how do the arch config files found in debian/config/i386 relate to .config found in the kernel source root? For example, when I read about copying the config file from /boot/config-2.6.20-15-generic to [sourceroot]/.config, how does this .config relate to the configs in i386?

For now I have edited the config in the i386 directory.

I then run

debian/rules updateconfigs

One complaint here, the above command fails, unless I go into debian/bin and make the scripts there executable. Why arent these made executable when the source is installed?

After running the above command, I then run:

AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs

Upon completion of this step, I would assume that I have deb files for each of the flavors in the 386 arch.. However I am having a hard time getting the compile to go to completion.

My compile is failing some time after the modules are made into kernel objects and at

====== making target build [new prereqs: stamp-build]======
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.20-2.6.20/debian/build/build-386'
    Checking module listings...
    Modules have gone missing:
    dccp_probe

Will not continue!
    make: *** [build] Error 1

I have no clue how a module would go missing, AND the last compile I even tried compiling dccp-probe into the kernel and not as a module, and I still get the same error.

Where do I go from here given the goal I stated at the top?

Regards
    Hmmm... Odd way to retrieve the kernel source.

Try this instead, it's easier and makes more sense to me:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    And then follow my guide starting at step 8, making sure you enable the needed kernel module.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cebe11 View Post
    Well I'm back with new and improved problems.

My previous issue with patch etc was resolved nicely, I guess I posted before doing my homework.

Anyway I am now in need of getting a module to load (a V4L driver) that is failing on a versioning check and it was recommended that I recompile my kernel with "versioning" off or "force" load the module. The insmod -f command does not seem to do anything different than a plain old insmod so I believe my edgy (2.6.17-12 ) HAS version checking included and does NOT allow force load of modules.

So what I want to do is remake my same kernel but with versioning control off.

So basic steps:

download source (2-6-17-12)
    copy my previous config file? And then run menuconfig or can I not do both? Ie if I've already copied the config will I be able to change anything?
    Is there an easier way other than compiling? Maybe I should give it a try and see what happens as a learning experience.
    Or alternatively would a simple upgrade to 7.04 resolve this?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome
    I guess you could copy your config file and then run xconfig, but in your situation is seems like an upgrade to Feisty would be much easier. Just run this code to update:

Code:
    update-manager -c -d
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Termight View Post
    So, can anyone give me pointers on how to cross compile 2.6.22.6 from 32 bit 6.06 to 64 bit? The 6.06 machine is a fileserver, the 64bit (7.04) machine is my laptop which I need to do my coursework. I've tried a lot of variations on

Code:
    make-kpkg -initrd -cross-compile=amd64 --revision=386 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    with various combinations of -arch, -cross_compile, amd64 and x86_64, but everything gives me something along the lines of
    Code:
    amd64-gcc: command not found
    I *think* I've installed the 64bit gcc compiler, but obviously I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have an idea?
    Interesting, I've never heard of this before, so I don't think I'll be of much help. Just one question though. Can you compile the kernel on your laptop or do you not have enough space?

Beans
    Distro

Gusty Beta is due out next Thursday, maybe it's time to switch and recompile the kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Interesting, I've never heard of this before, so I don't think I'll be of much help. Just one question though. Can you compile the kernel on your laptop or do you not have enough space?
    Yeah, I can. I just don't want to

Thanks anyway!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: The Best of the Ubuntu Community

At the request of master_kernel, here's a link to GrubEd, which is a GUI editing tool for Grub

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=228104

Enjoy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi!

Well, I followed this guide and all went well until I rebooted. Trying to start up with my new kernel results in the system dying somewhere behind the pretty blue screen. (Yes, I use Kubuntu. I'm also using Gutsy, as Feisty wouldn't install on my Dell laptop.) OK, that's fine, I can boot back to an older kernel (2.6.22-1[12]-generic still work) and all is well. (Except the stuff that doesn't work, which is why I'm doing this in the first place. )

Starting my new kernel in Recovery mode, one thing I noticed was the console showing "Loading AppArmor module: failed". I don't know if this is critical or not, and I suspect not (security isn't exactly critical, just a good idea), but searching for these modules shows me that they live in /lib/modules/2.6.22-1[12]-generic/ubuntu/security/apparmor/. Now, despite copying the config file out of /boot as instructed, my self-compiled kernel modules lack the entire "ubuntu" tree.

What do we need to do in order to get all of the Ubuntu customizations (patches?) so that our starting config will be the same as the kernels they ship?

Thanks for any ideas!
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Page 60 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast