View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 6 of 152 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Well, I built the kernel without too much trouble, it seems. Took 5 hours, but this was to be expected- I'm doing this on a PII.
    The new kernel broke madwifi, but that's to be expected, too, I suppose. I guess I have to build it myself.
    My question is: All this stuff eats drive space for breakfast, and I wonder what -if anything- I can delete. The .tar.bz2? the .debs?

Groet, Erik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by eriqk View Post
    I wonder what -if anything- I can delete. The .tar.bz2? the .debs?
    If I'm not wrong, I think both can be deleted - the tar.bz2 files are just the sources, you can delete them after you've decompressed them. The debs can be deleted after the dpkg step.

jocko, in step 3 there's a "sudo rm -rf linux" first, only then do you create the link... that's why I ask. The tutorial suggests that there is one there first that you need to replace... or is that just if you install the kernel sources first?
    I,Omnivore! Tremble before me, all ye who may be tasty
    Also, Hasslehof Supporter #13851
    Linux User #411900

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool, thanks.
    Now let's go build the madwifi stuff...

Groet, Erik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

right, just clicked compile. Now we wait. There's a lot of things that I have removed without being sure... Master, can you add step 6b -"press save"? just for completeness... also, step 5 applies regardless of the patch you've downloaded, so long as the name is changed and the directory is the correct one.

also, I'll remind you I didn't have a /usr/src/linux directory and does it matter?

gonna watch a film now, then go to sleep...
    I,Omnivore! Tremble before me, all ye who may be tasty
    Also, Hasslehof Supporter #13851
    Linux User #411900

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I followed the first post and am having issues compiling the fglrx module like lime4x4. I have had problems in the past with ATI drivers and have never got 3D acceleration to work.

I just updated to the latest ATI drivers as of today. (Still shows as Mesa) Also I've checked and like BennS pointed out that there is no linux/config.h file. I did find the currently available config.h file in /usr/include/linux only have to #error declarations and nothing more. The error directed me to this FAQ and from what I can tell it might not be needed anymore. It also might be the fglrx drivers need to be updated to work with the latest kernel. I could simply comment out the included files but I imagine it might break something else.

Here's the error:
    Code:
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx'
    dh_testdir
    /usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/fglrx modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.o
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:89:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:456: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_stub_open’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:579: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_request_irq’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:2568: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/fglrx] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19'
    make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx'
    Module /usr/src/modules/fglrx failed.
    Hit return to Continue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by zazery View Post
    I followed the first post and am having issues compiling the fglrx module like lime4x4. I have had problems in the past with ATI drivers and have never got 3D acceleration to work.

I just updated to the latest ATI drivers as of today. (Still shows as Mesa) Also I've checked and like BennS pointed out that there is no linux/config.h file. I did find the currently available config.h file in /usr/include/linux only have to #error declarations and nothing more. The error directed me to this FAQ and from what I can tell it might not be needed anymore. It also might be the fglrx drivers need to be updated to work with the latest kernel. I could simply comment out the included files but I imagine it might break something else.

Here's the error:
    Code:
    dh_testdir
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:89:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:456: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:579: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:2568: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    Hit return to Continue
    Try this ATI guide.

config.h should include:
    Code:
    #ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
    #define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
    /* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
     * * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
     * */
    #include <linux/autoconf.h>

#endif
    Hope that helps.
    "smooth as seelk"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zazery View Post

Here's the error:
    Code:
    dh_testdir
    Hit return to Continue
    Install the fgrlx kernel sources. Then type:
    Code:
    sudo m-a prepare
    sudo m-a update
    sudo m-a build fglrx
    sudo m-a install fglrx
    sudo depmod -a
    AMD Opteron 165 | 3GB | ATI Radeon X1800

Beans

hello,

i followed the tutorial exactly but i get this error at the end of installing the deb-files.

Code:
    root@user-laptop:/usr/src/linux# cd .. && dpkg -i *.deb
    Wähle vormals abgewähltes Paket linux-headers-2.6.19.1.
    (Lese Datenbank ... 136650 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
    Entpacke linux-headers-2.6.19.1 (aus linux-headers-2.6.19.1_686_i386.deb) ...
    Wähle vormals abgewähltes Paket linux-image-2.6.19.1.
    Entpacke linux-image-2.6.19.1 (aus linux-image-2.6.19.1_686_i386.deb) ...
    Done.
    Richte linux-headers-2.6.19.1 ein (686) ...

Richte linux-image-2.6.19.1 ein (686) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.19.1
    Running postinst hook /sbin/update-grub.
    [: 25: ==: unexpected operator
    exec: 25: -a: not found
    User hook script /sbin/update-grub failed at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.19.1.postinst line 1201.

root@user-laptop:/usr/src# /sbin/update-grub 
    Your /etc/kernel-img.conf needs upgrade. Read grub's NEWS.Debian[1]
    file and follow its instructions.

1. /usr/share/doc/grub-gfxboot/NEWS.Debian.gz

[: 25: ==: unexpected operator
    exec: 25: -a: not found
    root@user-laptop:/usr/src#
    what should i do? yes i understand that i have to upgrade kernel-img.conf, but i don't understand how to do it.

EDIT: i followed the information provided in /usr/share/doc/grub-gfxboot/NEWS.Debian.gz and now it works
    Last edited by loko; January 4th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh, maybe I should add this:
    The MadWIFI drivers, also in the restricted-modules, will off course be broken. Downloading the latest source and compiling them yourself is a remarkably painless procedure, though. Just follow the instructions on http://www.madwifi.org.
    I'm now using the SVN version, and so far without trouble.

Groet, Erik

//edit
    Hmm, I just noticed my webcam (logitech quickcam express) stopped working. No idea if it's related, though.
    Last edited by eriqk; January 4th, 2007 at 05:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I just got everything compiled and it booted fine, config'd sata, reinstalled the nvidia drivers... all good - except that my wireless card no longer works, i had to move my entire apartment around so i could connect via ethernet and try to solve the problem.

my ipw2200 used to be eth1 (eth0 being the ethernet card) but now it's not being detected at all, i checked my kernel config and the drivers are installed, i compiled and installed the latest ieee80211, the latest firmware, latest wireless tools, latest drivers...... and i forgot to re modprobe the modules... which is what i just did and now it works. there is not a big enough emoticon for me to use right at the moment...

anyway, thanks to the OP for the thread, first time i got it all working properly, cheers.

Page 6 of 152 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast