View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 49 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Just wanted to pass on a huge thanks for this thread.

I used KernelCheck to save a little bit of time, plus the optimization tips found on the original message.. wow. Definitely notice a nice performance improvement, and I even managed to not trash my system. Compiled and rebooted. Used Envy to build the nVidia drivers and rebooted again. Took a little while in compile time, but it was definitely worth it.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: Master Kernel Thread

just wanted to say this is a great thread.

I've been a long time linux user and have often compiled my own kernels when I used slack years ago.

I could never quite get in right in Ubuntu until I found this thread.

My new system is now screaming like a banshee!!! !

This made quite a difference. For those having problems...keep working at it. It's really worth the performance boost IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karlhm76 View Post
    I read through some of the 47 pages here, but what my problem is, is I require the linux-restricted-modules to be built as well.

how do I do that?

It would be nice if I could get something close to the latest version as well. I have downloaded the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22 generic package, but obviously it doesn't install.

how can I rebuild it with my current custom kernel, install, and use it?
    Did you manage to fix this? This is my problem too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fishyf View Post
    Did you manage to fix this? This is my problem too.

check out this thread. it might help you...
    Powered by Ubuntu, Driven by Linux

Beans

Checking in to say THANKS! I had tried and given up compiling and then this simple tutorial worked on the first try. Changes needed, so I tried kernelcheck (v 1.2, not 2.0?). That's pretty nifty, though I'd like for it to confirm whether to download from kernel.org -- I've hit their 2.6.22.1 stable about 6 times!

Thanks to this thread, I see the chance to make my Dell D630 laptop actually work using 64bit code. It made life harder on me, but the words kept ringing in my head "why have it and not utilize it?" A kernel compile takes twenty-ish minutes, so something must work well.

I've been compiling, reviewing dmesg, and slowly removing things I think I don't need or tweaking others.

Yes, definitely a 5x thread!

Beans

After I run step 8, I get asked a (very long) series of questions. My impression is that my configuration was not copied properly. Could someone tell me how to copy them properly?

Thanks.

tcoffeep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by caterpillar33 View Post
    After I run step 8, I get asked a (very long) series of questions. My impression is that my configuration was not copied properly. Could someone tell me how to copy them properly?

Thanks.
    I had this same problem, so i'd love to know the answer as well.

tcoffeep Guest

Also, I was wondering which processor my AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Is from?

tcoffeep Guest

(or would I just choose i386?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

I have succesfully compiled a kernel and I stripped it a bit to make it faster. So far everything works fine. Just a couple of questions:

1) Is the source folder "/usr/src/linux-2.6.22" still needed after installing the .deb's?

2) I would like to disable some more options in the kernel to see the effect. But what if I screw up, could I just use the deb's from a previous compile or does the src folder has to be intact (the state it was when I compiled the first deb's)?

3) I also noticed that the .deb's I created are gone. They are not in the /usr/src/ folder anymore. Any explanation for that? I'm recompiling them right now in case I need them later.

Thanks

Page 49 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast