View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 39 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
    Hi Everybody,

Thanks to the MarvS and Jacques at linmodems.org my modem is now working with the custom kernel and life is beautiful.

I decided to use the newer modem driver package, martian. If anybody is interested in details please see my post on discuss@linmodems.org.

What I learned:
    1. Restricted modules quit working after the module is customized.
    2. Ubuntu doesn't support restricted-modules
    3. Agere DSP modems are supported at linmodems.org
    4. Wireless devices using the Atheos chip set are supported at madwifi.org
    5. It takes a long time to find everything necessary to rebuild and reinstall restricted-modules

Peace,
    GaryH
    1. The default restricted modules won't work once you try to use the source and compile your own module against the new custom kernel
    2. Ubuntu does support restricted modules, I use both the Nvidia and the Atheros restricted modules within Feisty.
    3. thanks for the tip
    4. Atheros chips are supported out of the box using the Restricted Modules that Ubuntu Provides. If you compile your own kernel that you'll need to compile this against the new kernel (please correct me if I am wrong)
    5. I can imagine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    I've got a problem during writing the command : "sudo make xconfig" ...

Look at this :

Code:
      HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kconfig_load.o
    /usr/bin/moc -i scripts/kconfig/qconf.h -o scripts/kconfig/qconf.moc
      HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
    /usr/include/pthread.h:285: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_st* pthread_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:36: erreur: ‘pthread_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef long unsigned int pthread_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:286: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_attr_st* pthread_attr_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:43: erreur: ‘pthread_attr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_attr_t pthread_attr_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:287: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_key_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:109: erreur: ‘pthread_key_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef unsigned int pthread_key_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:289: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_mutexattr_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:79: erreur: ‘pthread_mutexattr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_mutexattr_t pthread_mutexattr_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:290: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_mutex_st* pthread_mutex_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:73: erreur: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_mutex_t pthread_mutex_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:291: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_condattr_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:105: erreur: ‘pthread_condattr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_condattr_t pthread_condattr_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:292: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_cond_st* pthread_cond_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:99: erreur: ‘pthread_cond_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_cond_t pthread_cond_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:293: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef int pthread_rwlockattr_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:142: erreur: ‘pthread_rwlockattr_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_rwlockattr_t pthread_rwlockattr_t’
    /usr/include/pthread.h:294: erreur: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct pthread_rwlock_st* pthread_rwlock_t’
    /usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:136: erreur: ‘pthread_rwlock_t’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef union pthread_rwlock_t pthread_rwlock_t’
    make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf.o] Erreur 1
    make: *** [xconfig] Erreur 2
    It makes me crazy ! How I can fix this problem ? I've search into your forum but nothing helpt me

If you wants other informations, I'm here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So, it was Qt who wasn't installed. No problem, It works correctly! Thanks for you HOWTO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

regarding the problem about the module size described in my posts on page 38 post 378 & 379; there seem to be others as well who experience the same thing (link1 link2) but no solution there as well until now

could some who also compiled their own kernel please compare the sizes of their initrd and the standard one and maybe that of a module that is in both, the self-compiled and default kernel installation and give a short report maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

My initrd is only 7.4 MB compared to the standard one (386) which is 8.1MB. Kernel I'm using is the most recent from feisty-security I reckon. I don't know why yours is so huge. To tell you the truth, that was my first time compiling a kernel, but I removed a lot of stuff in the xconfig. Maybe that's why? Anyway my kernel modules are pretty much the same size as the normal kernel. Perhaps it was a different configuration? What happens when you just use the original configuration of the standard kernel and compile? Do you still have the huge initrd problem?

By the way, the code I used is:
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    make xconfig
    sudo make-kpkg clean
    sudo make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    Then I just install whatever debs come from it.
    Last edited by hyperair; June 1st, 2007 at 11:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thank you very much for your feedback, hyperair!

i didn't change much in the config compared to the original config, only disabled paravirtualization support and removed some intel-cpu specific options but its a nice idea to try to compile with the exactly original configuration, will do so as soon as i don't need any cpu power for other things.

i used almost the same commands as you did, except that
    - i manually copied the original configuration by 'sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.20-16-generic /usr/src/linux/.config' because i wanted to make sure the lastest config is used since i have these strange version-problems i described earlier, but as far as i understood, 'make oldconfig' would do pretty much the same if compile using the 2.6.20-16 source which is the case here.
    - then i did
    Code:
    sudo -s
    make clean
    make-kpkg clean
    make menuconfig
    make-kpkg -initrd --revision=<mytag> kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    and finally as well installed the outcoming .deb's
    nothing wrong so far, right?
    Last edited by antiplex; June 1st, 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: corrected minor syntax-error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi dannyboy79,
    4. Atheros chips are supported out of the box using the Restricted Modules that Ubuntu Provides. If you compile your own kernel that you'll need to compile this against the new kernel (please correct me if I am wrong)
    Thanks for responding to my last. I'm glad to hear that Ubuntu does indeed support getting restricted-modules to work with custom kernels. Point me to the procedures, instructions, etc. and I'll be happy to test them out on my system with my modem and wireless and happily report my findings.

Peace,
    GaryH

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
    Hi dannyboy79,

Thanks for responding to my last. I'm glad to hear that Ubuntu does indeed support getting restricted-modules to work with custom kernels. Point me to the procedures, instructions, etc. and I'll be happy to test them out on my system with my modem and wireless and happily report my findings.

Peace,
    GaryH
    Gary, you've added words onto what I stated so I will make it clear what I said AND OR what I meant to say if you interpreted something else.

In my number 1 statement, I have already stated that the default restricted modules DO NOT work with a custom kernel. (UNLESS you follow this thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=441013&page=2)

My number 2 statement, I stated that Ubuntu supports restricted modules and that is all. (NOTE: all this is saying is that Ubuntu by default comes with restricted modules and they DO work. This mentions nothing about using a custom kernel.)

I stated that Ubuntu supports the Atheros Chips using restricted modules and that is all. (NOTE: again, refer back to the above note and you'll see what this is saying)

IF you compiled your own kernel, than you need to compile any restricted modules that you were using against the new kernel just as it states within the guide regarding the Nvidia restricted module. It doesn't state that regarding all restricted module BUT does state that you'll have to recompile the Nvidia Driver if you're using it. I know this can't be assumed for beginners and maybe we should have the author here add a statement about the restricted modules after a custom kernel install and maybe he can add the link I posted so people can try it out and see if that works instead of going thru all the trouble of compiling the Atheros chipset drivers from madwifi source if they don't need to and any other restricted modules for that matter.

Sorry if there was any confussion by my statements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Master Kernel Thread

ok now, i've compiled my kernel with exactly the original ubuntu-kernel's config found in /boot/config-2.6.20-16-generic but still everything was huge as described.

but luckily, one of the people who used to have similar issues and whose thread i just linked to replied pointing out what caused the whole thing and now it worked fine! everything is now about 10-20% smaller than the standard ubuntu ones... all running fine and i'm feeling good now

it further dawned on me that the sub-sub-revision of 3 in 2.6.20.3 might be completely correct and that i was probably just confused by the restricted modules packages which use a different revision number and were listed close to the other kernel stuff...
    Last edited by antiplex; June 5th, 2007 at 09:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

thanks for the nice HOWTO. My system runs preceptibly smoother than before, but:

At Startup I get some annoying messages:
    modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.21.3/modules.dep: No such file or directory.

Seems to me as if the ramdisc cannot access the root filesystem at that time. Any solutions for this issue?

robbster

Page 39 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast