View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 23 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wormite View Post
    Ok, to help those who had the same problem as I did and end up the error I've been experiencing for 3 weeks, here is a more detailed solution the the problem:

Q. After GRUB boots my kernel, all I see is this:
    Quote:
    Begin: Waiting for root file system...
    A. This is because you installed Ubuntu on a SATA hard drive. To fix this error, you must recompile the kernel with SATA options enabled.

#My system: Dell latitude D620, for specs, you can see #http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas/D620F6.html
    #so of course I'm using a SATA as the boot and root.
    #It's a dual boot system with xp in sda2 , ubuntu in sda3
    #my kernel is 2.6.20-rc5

Now what to enable in the make xconfig:
    Device Drivers:
    |---ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
    |------ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
    |----------Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
    |--------------support for SATA(deprecated;conflicts with libata SATA driver)
    ---------------#enable above choice, make sure it's a Y, not M(module)
    |---SCSI device support
    |-------SCSI device support
    --------#enable above choice, make sure it's a Y, not M(module)
    |-------SCSI disk support
    |---Serial ATA(prod) and Parallel ATA(experimental) drivers
    |-------ATA device support
    |-----------Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support
    ------------#there are many kinds of support here, for me I chose this, to understand what you should choose, see below.

How to decide which ATA device support driver you should choose:
    I used lspci |grep IDE and it gives:
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 01)
    And after looking through all the device supported with keyword "intel" in xconfig, I found 3, only 1 for mine, the other 2 were for PATA, so I hope yours isn't too complicated either.

OK, hope this helps the noobs just like me. And if possible, can the thread author add this to the original post?
    Hi,

I need to upgrade my kernel so that I can use my new tvtuner but I've been having issues with my SATA drives. I did a lspci | grep IDE and this is what came up:

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)

After looking at that I figured I needed the same module. I set everything else the same as above except I couldn't find an option to turn "-----SCSI device support
    --------#enable above choice, make sure it's a Y, not M(module)" on. I'm using the 2.6.20 source

After compiling and updating I restarted and waited.. and waited. The progress bar was frozen so I restarted and started in Recovery Mode. It kept stopping for ages but eventually came up to a prompt. I typed startx and everything was fine. I was using the 2.6.20 kernel and it did apear to be zippier. I tried restarting to see if the non "recovery mode" would work. It didn't.

I'm not sure what I should do as I consider myself a newbie and I've been stuck on this all day.

The sata hdd works fine with the default kernel so is there a way to find out what modules it is using?

If someone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Marc

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

can't you just look at your kernel config file for the kernel that works and see what is in there referring to ide or sata? also, that southbridge is like the most common southbridge ever (ICH5/ICH5R). Are you making sure that the correct module is probed at the correct time, i don't think libata will work, you might need to put ahci or ata_piix in there as well? I had this issue with my sis sata controller and I had to add in sata_sis in my /etc/modules file, it put it right below libata. give that a try and see what happens.
    i don't know if this would help also? http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/e...l/25267102.pdf

Beans

Hi dannyboy79, I can't look at the previous config because the previous kernel is the default kernel. Unless there is a way to view it?

Anyway, I just managed to get it to work! I just finished updating the system and tried one more change before compiling again and no errors.

I just needed to enable: Intel P11X/ICH SATA support and Silison Image SATA support under Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers.

Thanks for your help dannyboy79

Beans
    Distro

you can always view the .config of every kernel you have. it is located in /usr/src/linux-headers-blah/.config
    the -blah is whatever the kernel name is, for example:
    i am using 2.6.15-28-686 so my .config is in
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-28-686/.config
    i am glad you got it. can you also let me know what is in /etc/modules file? those other options you added, did you add a M or a Y? thanx if you can answer back
    oh yeah, also which tv card chipset did you recompile for? please be specific as to the options as the chipset. thanx
    Last edited by dannyboy79; March 31st, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: what tv card?

Beans

Ahh, thanks dannyboy79,

In /etc/modules there is:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
    sbp2

I added a Y for those other modules.

I compiled for Hauppauge Nova-T 500 PCI and have been following this guide: http://www.omskakas.se/2007/01/howto...der-linux.html

thats all working which is cool but I can't seem to get the latest ATI binary drivers working. When I do a fglrxinfo I keep getting the messa drivers. I have followed everything here. and when I do a "sudo modprobe fglrx" I get FATAL: Error running install command for fglrx

Is there something I need to add to my kernal in order for my graphics card to work?

Thanks,

Marc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi Castles,

Are you trying to build the ATI drivers or download them from the repositories? I've not tried with the repository versions apart from on my generic kernel; I can't get fglrx kernel source to build.

If anyone can help us out, I've attached the fglrx-kernel log file when
    Code:
    sudo module-assistant build,install fglrx-kernel
    Or make-kpkg ... modules_image
    is run. I've had to cut it down to about 200 lines as the 700 spat out was about four times too big to be uploaded!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Ps any help regarding ipw3945 would also be appreciated - I and others can't get that to build either. Have exposed RADIOTAP by manually applying the add_radiotap script from ipw3945 source code - still doesn't work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by quark_77; April 1st, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
    QUARK_77
    Lenovo R61 | Core2 (x64) | 3GB | nVidia Quadro | SATA || Ubuntu Linux | dm-crypt/LUKS | nv | truecrypt (win)

Beans

hi quark_77,

I've tried downloading them from the repositories and compiling without success.
    Mine spits the dummy when compiling also.

Marc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yep,

So does ipw3945, another piece of firmware. The attached file in this case is a log of THAT build. I'm wondering if there is a common thread here a.k.a. firmware not building & if we need something required by both pieces of software - I've checked against the repos, my xorg-driver-fglrx is version 8.28.8, one of the versions I have tried to build without success. I'd be interested to know how the ubuntu-kernel team managed to get their firmware built!!

Still no joy on SMP either despite having enabled it...

If anyone knows where we're all going wrong can they please share their knowledge?? It would be much appreciated!

Quark_77

Edit: Have requested help for this on launchpad - shall let you know the outcome
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by quark_77; April 1st, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
    QUARK_77
    Lenovo R61 | Core2 (x64) | 3GB | nVidia Quadro | SATA || Ubuntu Linux | dm-crypt/LUKS | nv | truecrypt (win)

Beans

By the time we figure this out....7.04 will be released with the latest kernel....

Beans
    Distro

have you guys tried out Envy? Its' awesome for Nvidia anyway, not sure about ATI but you could always try.

Page 23 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast