View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 20 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Master Kernel Thread

flush your iptables and see if your internet works then. try to disable then renable your interface. have you tried to unplug your ethernet cord, wait 15 secs, then plug it back in? if you can't even ping then there's a problem. post your dhcp lease file. i think it's inside /etc/dhcp3/ . we need to figure out if your internet isn't working because of a firewall or because of the driver or what. when you do
    dmesg | grep ethernet
    what comes back?

Beans

Thanks for the help, it is arno-iptables-firewall that is causing the problem. I flushed my tables and changed all the policies to accept, and I have full connectivity. I manually ran the 'arno' script and saw a dozen or so errors. It appears that I didn't select Netfilter connection tracking support modules in my kernel config.

Edit: I added the modules, and all is well, thanks again.
    Last edited by c0nv1ct; March 14th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by c0nv1ct View Post
    Thanks for the help, it is arno-iptables-firewall that is causing the problem. I flushed my tables and changed all the policies to accept, and I have full connectivity. I manually ran the 'arno' script and saw a dozen or so errors. It appears that I didn't select Netfilter connection tracking support modules in my kernel config.

Edit: I added the modules, and all is well, thanks again.
    ok since I helped you and since you have done this successfully can you PLEASE help me? I have been asking anyone to please help me and answer my questions I have, they are within post 165 as well as a new thread but not 1 person will answer them. they are general questions about recompiling the 2.6.20 kernel and I know they can be answered because all these people have done it. I would really appreciate your help here. thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First of all, thank you for this HowTo. Took me a little over 4h and all went fine ...well almost! (2.6.20.1) - big brightness problem.
    Thanks for having a look at my thread here
    Any help would be appreciated so that I can boot on 2.6.20.1 ...and see something on my screen.

Compilation increased my disk usage by 10% -I know it's normal- but I need to make space. I'd remove 2.6.20.1 if there's no solution. It would be too bad.

Just in case I have to, any simple way to remove it? Is it like deleting any other kernel?
    This was my first compilation, so I need to ask. Thnx for your time.
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans
    Distro

do you mean that now your hard drive has 10% less storage space? if that's the case, you don't need to remove the new kernel, you can remove your old kernels but always keep 1 backup that you know works. you can remove all the headers and sources if you'd like, (i think, please make sure you double-check this with an expert before you do but I would think logically that they are only needed for compilation). also, try sudo aptitude auto-clean and sudo aptitude clean. this will cleanup a lot of the packages on your machine that aren't needed. you can also make sure you trash cans are empty. there are many things you can do to free up space. per aptitude man pages:

clean Removes all downloaded and cached packages.
    autoclean Removes any cached packages which are no longer downloadable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi dannyboy79,

First of all, thanks for replying.
    About your #165 post, I'm sorry I can't help you. How about asking here: mail to : kernel at kolivas dot org

I've done all the cleaning I know of. That's not really the problem. And yes I do have 10% less disk space after I compiled the kernel. From what I understand, it's normal; compiling takes more disk space.

The main reason I can't use that kernel is my LCD; not enough light to put it plainly. I'll have to remove it because I can't increase brightness as I can with, for instance, the generic kernel. > Power Management > Brightness and use the slider up or down.

Have a good day and I hope you'll get an answer to your post 165.
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans
    Distro

i don't know if this would help but according to this, you can compile a daemon program called pbbuttonsd to control this. it says it was for the mac but intel support has been added lately.
    http://pbbuttons.berlios.de/projects...bbuttonsd.html

also, i found this site for installing Debian on a Sony VAIO VGN-S660/B (http://www.eyesopen.org/projects/laptops/sony_s660b/), he included a kernel config and when I looked in it, I found this setting:
    CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y

is this in the ubuntu kernel config? did you enable it?

also, i saw that you found the bug for this (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...20/+bug/77026), have you read it lately, there is a patch you can apply. I have attached it. I had to zip it up otherwise it wouldn't accept it.

hope you get it fixed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have tried reading this thing for how to enable to the SATA drivers when installing the kernel. I've already compiled and got the running. It only took about an hour so re-compiling won't be a big deal.

I just need to know how to enable them so that they will be available when I run the compile. Also, I need to know how I can remove the last install so that it will no longer be an option.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have compiled the kernel. And everything seems to be going fine. I have tried booting Ubuntu 6.10 with kernel 2.6.20.3. But when I do it boots until you see the Ubuntu logo. The bar shows up but it hangs and never actually boots.

I tried getting it to boot with the debug going and here is where it hangs:
    [ 7.055411] drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c v2.6: USB HID core driver

I don't know what that is, and I don't know where to even go with this. I did a search and some of the launchpad errors near this refer to a wireless card. Should I try removing the wireless card and boot again?

Beans
    Distro

is the wireless thing usb? If it is than yeah unplug it and then try again. does your wireless usb thing work in edgy normally?

CAn someone please help me. I have asked these questions 3 times, people keep compiling and following this guide but no one has even attempted answering a few of my questions. Anyone??

Hi there, PLEASE HELP ME
    I am getting an E4300 and a ASRock 775dual-VSTA motherboard. I am going to be running 1.5gb PC3200 DDR400 ram, a XFX GeForce 6200 128mb agp video card. I am currently running Dapper and want to stick with that due to doing a lot of customization and having all my apps running correctly etc etc. It is my understanding that I can compile a custom kernel to get better performance out of my machine and linux in general according to the thread entitled Master Kernel or something or other. I want to do this. I am wondering however what is the difference between using patches provided by Con Kolivas from here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/
    or just using the patches provided by kernel.org? Also, if I do this, am I going to want to use the current .config that is found within my /usr/src/ sub-folders? I currently have 2.6.15-28-686 installed. Then if I do this over ssh, I will want to use menuconfig and not xconfig correct? Also, I understand by reading Con's guide here (http://ck.kolivas.org/faqs/walkthrough.txt) that I can run:

make oldconfig

and this will only prompt you for any new features in the kernel which are usually
    easy enough to understand, but generally if you don't know then choosing the
    default recommended by the script just by pressing enter will do.

I guess the part that I am unsure on yet, is that the guide at Master Kernel (within this forum) states something about either using menuconfig or xconfig to configure the kernel, do I still need to do this if I use the .config already on my machine? What things are set with this config from Ubuntu that I may be missing or whatnot. Are there any options that I specifically need to look for due to my hardware I have mentioned above?

Last question: if Dapper still updates kernel versions (not sure if that's the terminology but I know that I have updated from 2.6.15-23 to now 2.6.15-2, which causes me to have to reinstall nvidia and sometimes make sure that grub was updated corectly than why don't they just update to the newest kernel thru synaptic? Also, after I compile and install this new kernel, will I get the updates thru synaptic (example: 2.6.20-xx or whatever) like I did for the 2.6.15 kernel? or will I have to keep compiling new kernels applying the newest patches. If some1 could please answer ALL my questions I would really appreciate it. I can honestly say that out of over 1450 posts that I have made, 95% of them are helping others and I rarely ever ask for help, so please, please help me.

Page 20 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast