View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 19 of 152 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Because Feisty is alpha? But I will install it when it's released April 19.

The whole purpose of this thread however, is to compile your own new kernel from source. I bet even Feisty will lag behind the newest kernels after its release, so it'll still be needed to learn how to do this if you want the newest features or need some new feature to support hardware on your PC.

Energiya: About my problem to run X after compiling the kernel (see above); I wonder if I need to reconfigure and then recompile the kernel after I've changed to inlude autoconfig.h? I'm confused about how to proceed with that problem. It didn't work just to touch the file.
    Last edited by Prognatus; March 11th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
    Linux user #192579. Ubuntu user #4351. Ubuntero member.
    My blog: The Penguin Pool

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

A kernel that lags a few months behind is not a big deal. A kernel that frags your hard drive is another issue. Be care newbees. I have built several kernels several times sometimes well and sometimes not so well. If the default kernel works don't expect your system to be "faster" with a new kernel. JUST BE CAREFUL.

Feisty might be alpha but building your own kernel is really not more dangerous than using it. For instance Debian Sid uses 2.6.18. Extreme care and work needs to be put into making a good kernel. That is why some distributions are still using kernel 2.4. If you don't really need, my advice (take it or leave it) is forget building your own kernel - there will almost always be a catch a tweak that needs to be done and why worry about it.
    Last edited by yigal.weinstein; March 11th, 2007 at 09:59 PM.

Hi,

thanks for your howto. With this one I got my first self-compiled kernel working.
    But a smal problem exist:

After compiling, try to install the NVIDIA module, but without succsess.
    I got an compiling error. I've installed the compiled headers and /usr/src/linux ist linked to the right source...

Any hints?

Br
    Dominik

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by istaon View Post
    Hi,

thanks for your howto. With this one I got my first self-compiled kernel working.
    But a smal problem exist:

After compiling, try to install the NVIDIA module, but without succsess.
    I got an compiling error. I've installed the compiled headers and /usr/src/linux ist linked to the right source...

Any hints?

Br
    Dominik
    have you just tried to use envy? that's the easiest way to get your nvidia driver working! I beleive it takes care of all the proper header downloads and links and everything int he background but if you do use it, since you tried to already install it some other wya, I would use the uninstall option first, then restart and then do the install option. it even picks the correct driver based on what card you have.. tseliot wrote it and it's awesome! 1 thing though to note. i was getting a weird error that it couldn't find the module and I found out it was because xorg-xserver-dev wasn't installed so the module couldn't be compiled so make sure you have that installed before running envy. good luck

Say, since you have done this I would really really appreciate it if you could please read post #165 and see if you can answer any of my questions. Not 1 person has attempted to help and I would really appreciate it if you could since you have just compiled your own kernel. thank you
    Last edited by dannyboy79; March 13th, 2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: asks for help with my post #165

Beans

I was able to compile 2.6.20.2 using this howto. I had SATA problems at first, but were solved after i found where my driver was in the config.

My only problem after sucessfully booting to the new kernel is network issues. 'ifconfig' shows that DHCP worked and I have an IP. But when i try to ping nothing comes up and when I ctrl-c, no results show. When i run 'iptables -L' I see the first page of my tables, then it just stops, and i have to ctrl-c. Running 'route' shows my network address, but stops after that, the default route is not shown, and i have to ctrl-c to return to the prompt. I don't use firestarter, i use the arno-iptables-firewall script. I don't use ndiswrapper either.

I've tried recompiling with my network driver 'built-in' rather than a module, and that did not fix anything. I have a nforce 4 pro-sli motherboard, the driver i tried was 'dethforce.'

Beans
    Distro

did you compile in firestarter? also, there is a problem with dual-booting windows and that ethernet controller, do you have the
    00:11.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:12.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)?
    show me output of lspci -v. There's a thread right here relating to your chipset and the problem with it and dethforce: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=382580&page=2
    good luck

Beans

I never installed firestarter, so that should not be causing this. I have a different ethernet controller than that one.

Code:
    00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)

Beans

Hi,

My system is AMD 64 Athlon.

I'm trying to compile the kernel 2.6.20.2 (following the instructions at the beggining of this post) and I'm stuck with this error:

CC lib/iomap_copy.o
    CC lib/hweight.o
    CC lib/kernel_lock.o
    CC lib/plist.o
    CC lib/bitrev.o
    HOSTCC lib/gen_crc32table
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:10: error: syntax error before ‘crc32table_le’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:10: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘crc32table_le’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:10: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:11: error: syntax error before ‘crc32table_be’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:11: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘crc32table_be’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:11: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    lib/gen_crc32table.c: In function ‘crc32init_le’:
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:23: error: ‘uint32_t’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:23: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:23: error: for each function it appears in.)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:23: error: syntax error before ‘crc’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:28: error: ‘crc’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c: In function ‘crc32init_be’:
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:40: error: ‘uint32_t’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:40: error: syntax error before ‘crc’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:45: error: ‘crc’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c: At top level:
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:51: error: syntax error before ‘table’
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:52: warning: function declaration isn’t a prototype
    lib/gen_crc32table.c: In function ‘output_table’:
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:55: error: ‘len’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:58: error: ‘trans’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    lib/gen_crc32table.c:58: error: ‘table’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[2]: *** [lib/gen_crc32table] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [lib] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.20.2'
    make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

I tried to compile other kernels like 2.6.19 and got the same error.
    Even if I don't modify the .config default file with the make oldconfig and make xconfig.

I do not know if I have to disable something in my config or is my system parameters the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by c0nv1ct View Post
    I never installed firestarter, so that should not be causing this. I have a different ethernet controller than that one.

Code:
    00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    well many have mentioned that they needed to recompile without firestarter or something like that so I just wanted to check.
    have you enabled your eth0 interface thru system, admin, networking gui? r you gettting an ip from your isp or router? ifconfig
    if so, have you defined dns servers? can you ping your router or any websites? this sounds like a driver issue so you should create a new thread maybe but I know I can't help anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    well many have mentioned that they needed to recompile without firestarter or something like that so I just wanted to check.
    have you enabled your eth0 interface thru system, admin, networking gui? r you gettting an ip from your isp or router? ifconfig
    if so, have you defined dns servers? can you ping your router or any websites? this sounds like a driver issue so you should create a new thread maybe but I know I can't help anymore.
    As i said in my original post, ifconfig shows that DHCP was sucessful, and I have an internet IP. /etc/resolv.conf is still populated with dns servers. The PING command does not function, i try to ping something, nothing happens, i hit ctrl-c, and there are no results, it doesnt say any packets were transmitted or anything, i get no information output at all. Reviewing my iptables locks up after showing me 1 page of rules, i have to ctrl-c to return to the prompt. Same when reviewing my route, the route command shows me the first line (showing my network address) and then locks up, i have to ctrl-c as well. The only network related things I have installed are moblock, and the arno-iptables-firewall script.

Page 19 of 152 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast