View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 144 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
    Just tried - same story.
    Progress!

I manually removed unused directories from dkms folder, installed newest dkms deb and successfully compiled and installed newest kernel.

HOWEVER

after installation of the kernel DEB files, the new initrd.img file is not being created!

EDIT:
    I managed to manually create the missing file with
    Code:
    update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.33-rc8-git5-gym
    and much to my delight, the kernel boots and is working fine now.

Still, would be good to know why the file was not created automatically.
    Last edited by Lockheed; February 21st, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans

Goddamnit, again I am unable to update the kernel. It compiles just fine but when trying to install, I am getting this:
    Code:
    dpkg -i linux*2.6.33*slicks*.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.33-git3-slicks.
    (Reading database ... 156309 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.33-git3-slicks (from linux-headers-2.6.33-git3-slicks_2.6.33-git3-slicks-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.33-git3-slicks.
    Unpacking linux-image-2.6.33-git3-slicks (from linux-image-2.6.33-git3-slicks_2.6.33-git3-slicks-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb) ...
    Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
    Done.
    Setting up linux-headers-2.6.33-git3-slicks (2.6.33-git3-slicks-10.00.Custom) ...
    Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms
     * Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.33-git3-slicks         
     *  vboxdrv (3.1.4)...                                                          vboxdrv (3.1.4): Installing module.
                                                                             [ OK ]
     *  vboxnetadp (3.1.4)...                                                       vboxnetadp (3.1.4): Installing module.
                                                                             [ OK ]
     *  vboxnetflt (3.1.4)...                                                       vboxnetflt (3.1.4): Installing module.
                                                                             [ OK ]

Setting up linux-image-2.6.33-git3-slicks (2.6.33-git3-slicks-10.00.Custom) ...
    Running depmod.
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
    Running postinst hook script update-grub.
    Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
    Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
    Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33-git3-slicks
    Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33-rc8-git5-gym
    Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-ewolucya
    Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    User postinst hook script [update-grub] exited with value 20
    dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.33-git3-slicks (--install):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     linux-image-2.6.33-git3-slicks
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans

I managed to fix all problems by replacing /etc/kernel-img.conf
    with this one:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/148419/

However, I still need to manually
    Code:
    update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.3......
    to get the img file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
    Progress!

I manually removed unused directories from dkms folder, installed newest dkms deb and successfully compiled and installed newest kernel.

HOWEVER

after installation of the kernel DEB files, the new initrd.img file is not being created!

EDIT:
    I managed to manually create the missing file with
    Code:
    update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.33-rc8-git5-gym
    and much to my delight, the kernel boots and is working fine now.

Still, would be good to know why the file was not created automatically.
    thanks a lot for that one. worked just fine.

though, i compiled 2.6.33 and it all seemed to work fine, but at boot i got something like "couldn't find /proc", and i've gotten this a couple of times throughout the 2.6.33-rc*, but i haven't cared to fix - just compiled the next rc*... anyone else who face this problem or care to give me an advice?

Beans

about the initrd: http://linuxagora.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1126
    trying this one right now. brb.

EDIT: it fixed it.
    Last edited by serein; February 28th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.

Beans

Red face Re: Master Kernel Thread

Help for my computer, I need this driver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrievska View Post
    Help for my computer, I need this driver
    which one, you said?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    Just starting to compile my own kernels. I don't know if this has been asked before along the thread, but the search didn't show up the answer for my question.

I have just compiled the kernel (same config as the repo kernel) and the compilation ends ok and generates the debs, but the output shows the code of a lot of different scripts, is that normal?

An example:
    Code:
    chmod 755                                       /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/DEBIAN/prerm
    sed -e 's/=V/2.6.33-mio/g'    -e 's/=IB//g'   \
                -e 's/=ST/linux/g'  -e 's/=R//g' \
                -e 's/=KPV/12.032/g'                       \
                -e 's/=K/vmlinuz/g'      \
                -e 's/=I/YES/g'     -e 's,=D,/boot,g'        \
                -e 's/=P/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/g'         \
                -e 's@=A@amd64@g'   \
                -e 's@=B@x86@g'    \
    		./debian/pkg/headers/postinst >        /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/DEBIAN/postrm
    chmod 755                                       /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/DEBIAN/postrm
    cp -pf debian/control debian/control.dist
    k=`find /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio -type f | ( while read i; do                    \
              if file -b $i | egrep -q "^ELF.*executable.*dynamically linked" ; then \
                j="$j $i";                                                  \
               fi;                                                            \
            done; echo $j; )`; test -z "$k" || dpkg-shlibdeps $k;          \
            echo "Elf Files: $K" >              /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/usr/share/doc/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/elffiles;          \
            test -n "$k" || perl -pli~ -e 's/\$\{shlibs:Depends\}\,?//g' debian/control
    dpkg-shlibdeps: aviso: dependency on libncurses.so.5 could be avoided if "/usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/scripts/kconfig/conf" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
    test ! -e debian/control~ || rm -f debian/control~
    dpkg-gencontrol -isp -DArchitecture=amd64 -plinux-headers-2.6.33-mio \
                                              -P/usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio/
    create_md5sums_fn () { cd $1 ; find . -type f ! -regex './DEBIAN/.*' ! -regex './var/.*'      -printf '%P\0' | xargs -r0 md5sum > DEBIAN/md5sums ; if [ -z "DEBIAN/md5sums" ] ; then rm -f "DEBIAN/md5sums" ; fi ; } ; create_md5sums_fn                   /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio
    chown -R root:root                  /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio
    chmod -R og=rX                      /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio
    dpkg --build                        /usr/src/linux-2.6.33/debian/linux-headers-2.6.33-mio ..
    dpkg-deb: construyendo el paquete `linux-headers-2.6.33-mio' en `../linux-headers-2.6.33-mio_2.6.33-mio-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb'.
    cp -pf debian/control.dist          debian/control
    make[2]: se sale del directorio `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33'
    make[1]: se sale del directorio `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33'
    for module in  ; do                       \
              if test -d  $module; then                                \
    	    (cd $module;                                          \
                  if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.33-mio" KSRC="/usr/src/linux-2.6.33" \
                                 KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" KEMAIL="unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf"      \
                                 KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/linux-2.6.33/.."       \
                                 KPKG_MAINTAINER="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer"        \
                                 KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG="EXTRAVERSION=-mio"        \
                                 ARCH="x86_64"      \
                                 KDREV="2.6.33-mio-10.00.Custom" kdist_image; then    \
                      echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
                  else                                                  \
                       echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                       if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
                          echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?";  \
                          echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \
                          echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug ";  \
                          echo "against $module.";                     \
                       fi;                                              \
                       echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
    		 read ans;                                          \
                  fi;                                                   \
    	     );                                                     \
    	  else                                                      \
                   echo "Module $module does not exist";               \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue?";                      \
    	  fi;                                                       \
            done
    root@tetto:linux-2.6.33#
    Last edited by Chikitulfo; March 9th, 2010 at 08:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just compiled the kernel (2.6.32.9) and everything went fine, but when i try to install the .debs i get this:

Code:
    Configurando linux-headers-2.6.32.9-mio (2.6.32.9-mio-10.00.Custom) ...
    Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms
     * Running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.32.9-mio                         
     *  nvidia (185.18.36)...                                                                 nvidia (185.18.36): Installing module.
     *  vboxdrv (3.0.8)...                                                                    vboxdrv (3.0.8): Installing module.
    .........(bad exit status: 10)
      Build failed.  Installation skipped.
                                                                                       [fail]
     *  vboxnetadp (3.0.8)...                                                                 vboxnetadp (3.0.8): Installing module.
    ........(bad exit status: 10)
                                                                                       [fail]
     *  vboxnetflt (3.0.8)...                                                                 vboxnetflt (3.0.8): Installing module.
    ........(bad exit status: 10)
                                                                                       [fail]

Configurando linux-image-2.6.32.9-mio (2.6.32.9-mio-10.00.Custom) ...
    Running depmod.
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
    Running postinst hook script update-grub.
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.9-mio
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-20-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-19-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sda1
    Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2
    done

chikitulfo@tetto:src$
    If i try to build any of those vbox modules myself (dkms build) i get an error and it say to look for the log in /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/make.log (that is for vboxdrv).

make.log:
    Code:
    chikitulfo@tetto:src$ cat /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/make.log 
    DKMS make.log for vboxdrv-3.0.8 for kernel 2.6.32.9-mio (x86_64)
    mar mar  9 14:41:56 CET 2010
    make: se ingresa al directorio `/usr/src/linux-2.6.32.9'
      LD      /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/built-in.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/SUPDrv.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/initterm-r0drv.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/mpnotification-r0drv.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/powernotification-r0drv.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/assert-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/initterm-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘rtR0MemObjNativeFree’:
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:431: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:432: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:442: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:443: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:455: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:457: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:458: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:459: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:480: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:482: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:483: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:484: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘rtR0MemObjNativeLockUser’:
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:763: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:769: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:800: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:822: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘rtR0MemObjNativeReserveUser’:
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:965: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:967: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:974: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:975: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:976: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘rtR0MemObjNativeMapUser’:
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1131: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1162: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1212: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1248: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1259: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:1267: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o] Error 1
    make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/3.0.8/build] Error 2
    make: se sale del directorio `/usr/src/linux-2.6.32.9'
    I have no idea where the error comes from, and I use a lot virtualbox so I need these modules working.

Additional info: I tried reinstalling dkms, There's no trace of nvidia-common in my system (and the nvidia module works fine) but there's no way I can get vbox modules to build, neither in 2.6.32.x nor 2.6.33 . I also installed latest kernel-package from lucid to compile 2.6.33, but this happened also before that.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Chikitulfo; March 9th, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: additional info

Page 144 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast