View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 111 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hello Everyone:

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but, I didn't find another suitable place. Sorry If I'm in the wrong place.

Secondly, I'm a newbie to ubuntu.

Now my problem,

Im working on Ubuntu 8.04. I need to re-compile the kernel from the default 8.04 kernel (2.6.24...) to (2.6.17.1 ). The reason Im doing this is to use the L7 Filter which has difficulties working on kernels post 2.6.19 or so.

I've been googling around to find the steps to recompile the kernel and I followed them, but I keep getting some errors. The latest one reads :

init/built-in.o: In function `try_name':
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1/init/do_mounts.c:115: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    init/built-in.o: In function `name_to_dev_t':
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1/init/do_mounts.c:206: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    init/built-in.o: In function `change_floppy':
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1/init/do_mounts.c:363: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    init/built-in.o: In function `mount_block_root':
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1/init/do_mounts.c:321: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    init/built-in.o: In function `do_header':
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1/init/initramfs.c:206: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o:/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1/arch/i386/kernel/ptrace.c:634: more undefined references to `__stack_chk_fail' follow
    make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2
    root@abc-desktop:/usr/src/linux-2.6.17.1#
    Ive used the commands as said on the 1st page of this thread.

I've got gcc version : " gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)"

Please help me out with this. Thanks a lot!

Beans

i would love to streamline my kernel some more so i would like to just kick out all the drivers i will never need

is my assumption correct that all my needed drivers are listed when i execute "lsmod" ? or do i forget some "hidden drivers" ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by questioning View Post
    i would love to streamline my kernel some more so i would like to just kick out all the drivers i will never need
    I have asked earlier in this thread about any measured performance gain by compiling your own kernels, but no one has given any compelling numbers. I stopped compiling my own kernels many years ago. If the stock kernel has performance issues, please identify the problem and file a bug so that it will gain everybody. I hope you can use all your energy and CPU time to help fixing real bugs instead, thus making Linux and Ubuntu better for other people also.
    is my assumption correct that all my needed drivers are listed when i execute "lsmod" ? or do i forget some "hidden drivers" ?
    Some drivers are compiled "built-in", others as modules. Usually only the modules that you need are loaded anyway, so filtering out modules that are not needed will not gain much, only shorten your compile time. You can save some kernel boot time by opting out the built-in drivers, but bugs aside, only a few seconds.

Some disadvantages of compiling your own kernel:
    - wasting time and energy
    - you'll miss security patches in the official kernel
    - you have to do it again if you get a new piece of hardware

I know I get very popular posting this in this crowd, but please complement any "but I need to compile because" remarks with links to relevant bug reports.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

the reason i dont care at all about the ubuntu kernel is because i want to have the newest kernel, wont happen in ubuntu, so ---> care

if compile time is everything i get thats mighty fine for me since im compiling a new kernel every 2-3 days.

(and i would prefer filing bug reports for the linux kernel not for the ubuntu ones. )

and btw, if i compile my own kernel i can actually optimize it for my processor i really use.
    Last edited by questioning; December 12th, 2008 at 10:30 AM.

Beans

and btw, if i compile my own kernel i can actually optimize it for my processor i really use.
    Just curious, but aren't the ubuntu 64bit kernels already optimized for todays 64 bit processors?

I understand the 32 bit kernel isn't usually optimized for 32bit only processors.

Beans

i suppose the 64bit kernel is since there are no "old" 64bit cpus.

Beans

the reason i dont care at all about the ubuntu kernel is because i want to have the newest kernel, wont happen in ubuntu, so ---> care
    One can also install the Jaunty kernel in Intrepid for instance, the Jaunty kernel is really up to date at the moment.
    if compile time is everything i get thats mighty fine for me since im compiling a new kernel every 2-3 days.
    Wow, well what can I say.
    (and i would prefer filing bug reports for the linux kernel not for the ubuntu ones. )
    Now that's an excellent reason.
    This comes up again all the time, but the Ubuntu kernel actually does run-time optimizations depending on the processor. So again, hard facts abouts how much speed you gain would be interesting. The Ubuntu kernel team asks themselves this from time to time, but tests have shown little impact. It used to be the kernel algorithms were chosen at compile time, but now they are roughly all compiled and included, and the code path is selected when the kernel boots.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

jesus i dont care about ubuntu kernel, mine is more up to date then jauntys so go figure.

and mine doesnt have to select some code paths at boot cause my kernel actually knows what it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do I make dkms use the open Ralink rt2870 driver?
    Last edited by RaZoR1394; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR1394 View Post
    How do I make dkms use the open Ralink rt2870 driver?
    Is that driver supported by DKMS, or vice versa?
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Page 111 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast