View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 105 of 152 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

I haven't had issues following these steps before. Now, however, I'm trying to install 2.6.26.2. Everything's fine until
    Code:
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=386 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    The machine takes off like a rocket compiling, but after a while crashes with the error message:
    Code:
    WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0xe907): Section mismatch in reference from the function cpu_exit_clear() to the function .cpuinit.text:cpu_uninit()
    The function cpu_exit_clear() references
    the function __cpuinit cpu_uninit().
    This is often because cpu_exit_clear lacks a __cpuinit 
    annotation or the annotation of cpu_uninit is wrong.

WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x1c71f): Section mismatch in reference from the function init_hrtick() to the variable .cpuinit.data:hotplug_hrtick_nb.33447
    The function init_hrtick() references
    the variable __cpuinitdata hotplug_hrtick_nb.33447.
    This is often because init_hrtick lacks a __cpuinitdata 
    annotation or the annotation of hotplug_hrtick_nb.33447 is wrong.

GEN     .version
      CHK     include/linux/compile.h
      UPD     include/linux/compile.h
      CC      init/version.o
      LD      init/built-in.o
      LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
      KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
      AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o
    <built-in>:0: fatal error: when writing output to /tmp/ccicJJVi.s: No space left on device
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [.tmp_kallsyms1.o] Error 1
    My system is a Pentium 4 HT with 2 processors, and an ATI Raedon graphics card, and 1GB RAM, on a 60GB HDD (10GB OS partition). I'm selecting "Pentium 4" in xconfig, as well as the 2 processor scheduler. There's 3.9GB free on the OS partition, with 2.5GB free at the time the compilation crashes. I don't have any relics of previous 2.6.26 kernels floating about, either.

Any ideas on what I magically managed to break?
    Last edited by SpaceMaster; August 18th, 2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: grammer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMaster View Post
    I haven't had issues following these steps before. Now, however, I'm trying to install 2.6.26.2. Everything's fine until
    Code:
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=386 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    The machine takes off like a rocket compiling, but after a while crashes with the error message:
    Code:
    WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0xe907): Section mismatch in reference from the function cpu_exit_clear() to the function .cpuinit.text:cpu_uninit()
    The function cpu_exit_clear() references
    the function __cpuinit cpu_uninit().
    This is often because cpu_exit_clear lacks a __cpuinit 
    annotation or the annotation of cpu_uninit is wrong.

WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x1c71f): Section mismatch in reference from the function init_hrtick() to the variable .cpuinit.data:hotplug_hrtick_nb.33447
    The function init_hrtick() references
    the variable __cpuinitdata hotplug_hrtick_nb.33447.
    This is often because init_hrtick lacks a __cpuinitdata 
    annotation or the annotation of hotplug_hrtick_nb.33447 is wrong.

GEN     .version
      CHK     include/linux/compile.h
      UPD     include/linux/compile.h
      CC      init/version.o
      LD      init/built-in.o
      LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
      KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
      AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o
    <built-in>:0: fatal error: when writing output to /tmp/ccicJJVi.s: No space left on device
    compilation terminated.
    make: *** [.tmp_kallsyms1.o] Error 1
    My system is a Pentium 4 HT with 2 processors, and an ATI Raedon graphics card, and 1GB RAM, on a 60GB HDD (10GB OS partition). I'm selecting "Pentium 4" in xconfig, as well as the 2 processor scheduler. There's 3.9GB free on the OS partition, with 2.5GB free at the time the compilation crashes. I don't have any relics of previous 2.6.26 kernels floating about, either.

Any ideas on what I magically managed to break?
    From what it looks like, you're out of disk space; however, according to your information, this may not be the case. Just to be sure, try freeing up some disk space and set the permissions on /tmp to 777. Use the following command to compile the kernel (it does not require as much space):

Code:
    INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=4 make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

The LiveCD version of Ubuntu 8.04 does not recognize my SATA drives or my network adapter. I was instructed to recompile the kernel as this problem has apparently been fixed in a later version. I tried to follow the instructions in this forum as close as i could considering that I had to download the kernel package in windows and import it on a stick. Anyway, apart from copying the archive instead of downloading it through the command line I did exactly what it's said here to do. But I still got this error.

Can someone please help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just upgraded my kernel using KernelCheck and now I get no sound. The volume control icon displays a red error sign and when I click it I get the following output:

"No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found."

lspci however does output:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

How can I get my audio back? I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with kernel 2.26.3.

edit: nevermind, I didn't see the section in the first post. I'll try it out.
    Last edited by rashly; August 24th, 2008 at 12:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonatorul View Post
    The LiveCD version of Ubuntu 8.04 does not recognize my SATA drives or my network adapter. I was instructed to recompile the kernel as this problem has apparently been fixed in a later version. I tried to follow the instructions in this forum as close as i could considering that I had to download the kernel package in windows and import it on a stick. Anyway, apart from copying the archive instead of downloading it through the command line I did exactly what it's said here to do. But I still got this error.

Can someone please help?
    You are probably missing some development packages. Make sure that Step 1 is completed successfully where you have to install build-essential and other dev packages.

Beans

Question ADI AD1888 don't work

i had update from 2.6.24.19 to 2.6.26.2 step by step.
    evry thing work fine but not detect audio device(no sound).
    How to fix it.
    thank you.

Beans

Kernel 2.6.26.3 is out now. Time to update the thread to download the new patch

Beans

Re: ADI AD1888 don't work

Quote Originally Posted by prasopsuk View Post
    i had update from 2.6.24.19 to 2.6.26.2 step by step.
    evry thing work fine but not detect audio device(no sound).
    How to fix it.
    thank you.
    Did you try this?
    Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel
    Q. My High Definition sound (Azalia) does not work with the new kernel!:

A. This took me a long time to figure out because I didn't have sound either. You have to enable the Intel HD module in Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, even if it isn't Intel.

Beans

2 questions:

1) After reading the man page about make-kpkg, I still don't understand the modules_image. I thought the kernel_image already includes the selected modules.

2) The option kernel_headers: Things work fine for me without the kernel headers. What would be the reason to include it?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by mahuyar View Post
    2 questions:

1) After reading the man page about make-kpkg, I still don't understand the modules_image. I thought the kernel_image already includes the selected modules.

2) The option kernel_headers: Things work fine for me without the kernel headers. What would be the reason to include it?

Thanks
    The modules_image option will compile modules that are in /usr/src/modules. You probably don't need that option, unless you have something in that directory that you want compiled.

The kernel_headers options will compile the kernel headers for the kernel that you are compiling. This is needed if you compile something that depends on the functions built into the kernel, and don't have the original kernel source. For instance if you want to use VirtualBox you will need the headers (or the compiled source) so that the virtual box setup can build its kernel modules. I usually clean the source after compilation as the compiled kernel takes up quit a bit of disk space, so I always build and install the headers.

Page 105 of 152 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast