View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 104 of 152 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Further to my previous post - how do I incorporate the additional ubuntu modules into the system. They are in package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-2.6.24.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would like to know more about how distcc can be used. I have successfully set up distcc so the compile process is balanced across my computers in the network.
    So, "make -j 12" works, but not "make-kpkg". Why? I have set up masquerade directory and I have tested that it works with a program I download as source and compiled.

I have followed the guide here and here.

Beans

I'm running ubuntu on a Dell Dimension 8200. GeForce4 MX 420 graphics and Creative sound blaster live 5.1 Sound. I used Envy to uninstall and reinstall my graphics drivers but Ub still says they aren't there so I can't use nvidia-settings to setup my monitors. As far as the sound goes I don't have a clue where to begin for that. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated, thanks. BTW, this is after using KernelCheck to compile and install 2.6.26. I aslo remembered to turn off paravisualization support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkiz View Post
    I would like to know more about how distcc can be used. I have successfully set up distcc so the compile process is balanced across my computers in the network.
    So, "make -j 12" works, but not "make-kpkg". Why? I have set up masquerade directory and I have tested that it works with a program I download as source and compiled.

I have followed the guide here and here.
    I have found out why distcc did not work for me with make-kpkg. It was because make-kpkg is running as root and distcc running as my normal user. distcc refuses to run as root. Anyone have a solution?
    Last edited by Blinkiz; July 16th, 2008 at 08:59 AM.

Beans

hi. i'm using KernelCheck Hopestar to compile my kernal, but due to previous attemps at other methods of kernel upgrades i think i have left over files? so when i get to Stage 3/6 Extracting Packages, i get the message

patching file .gitignore
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

i hit ENTER and get

Apply anyway? [n]

i hit ENTER and it skips it and says Hunk #2 FAILED at 2619.

can i delete the files i have already and start this process all over? if so i am not sure which ones? or where?

any suggestions welcomed.

thanks
    Last edited by k0tt0n; July 17th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Beans

i get this error compiling

/usr/scr/linux-2.6.26/arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper : line 239: mkimage: command not found
    make[2]: *** [arch/powerpc/boot/uImage] Error 127
    make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2

i want to install KernelCheck but cannot because dependency not satisfiable: python-cetral.

btw, i'm on gutsy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkiz View Post
    I have found out why distcc did not work for me with make-kpkg. It was because make-kpkg is running as root and distcc running as my normal user. distcc refuses to run as root. Anyone have a solution?
    You should never compile stuff as root. Compile and make the packages using your normal user account and only do the package installation using "sudo dpkg -i ...". To run make-kpkg (or whatever that claims it needs root - it doesn't) use fakeroot.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

step 8
    Code:
    cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config && make oldconfig
    that did use the config file i just coppied. I get ask hundereds of questions y/n/m. I ctrl+C the questiongs and just did make xconfig and used it to open the config file.

did anyone else the all the questions??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrynit View Post
    step 8
    Code:
    cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config && make oldconfig
    that did use the config file i just coppied. I get ask hundereds of questions y/n/m. I ctrl+C the questiongs and just did make xconfig and used it to open the config file.

did anyone else the all the questions??
    Yea, I did. If you don't want the terminal version, only execute "cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config" without the "make oldconfig" part. Then run "make xconfig".

Many, many thanks to Master_Kernel for such a great guide. I was so scared of compiling from source, but everything has been going good so far. I'll post back when it gets done compiling.

Edit: Quick question. In xconfig, when you select an option, is it the equivalent of selecting it as "Y" or "M" in the terminal?

Update: Woo hoo! Everything worked great. I was so scared something was going to mess up or I'd get an error message or something, but nope! Thanks again for taking the time to write this article (and for keeping it up to date with the newest kernel)!
    Last edited by jvincent08; August 18th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[Solved]

I used kernel ckeck to install the newest kernel but I ran into errors at 3 of 6. Something about a corrupt bz2 file.

Then I get to here and get the followin errors.

Code:
    root@computer:/usr/src# cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config && make oldconfig
    make: *** No rule to make target `oldconfig'.  Stop.
    root@computer:/usr/src# cd linux
    root@computer:/usr/src/linux# cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config && make oldconfig
    Makefile:296: /usr/src/linux-2.6.26/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory
    Makefile:431: /usr/src/linux-2.6.26/arch/x86/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26/arch/x86/Makefile'.  Stop.
    And this is what I get when I try to apply the patch.

Code:
    root@computer:/usr/src/linux# bzcat patch-2.6.26.2.bz2| patch -p1
    The next patch would delete the file Documentation/ftrace.txt,
    which does not exist!  Assume -R? [n] 
    Apply anyway? [n] y
    can't find file to patch at input line 6
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |diff --git a/Documentation/ftrace.txt b/Documentation/ftrace.txt
    |deleted file mode 100644
    |index 13e4bf0..0000000
    |--- a/Documentation/ftrace.txt
    |+++ /dev/null
    --------------------------
    File to patch:
    more errors

Code:
    root@computer:/usr/src/linux# cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config && make oldconfig
    Makefile:296: /usr/src/linux-2.6.26/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory
    Makefile:431: /usr/src/linux-2.6.26/arch/x86/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.26/arch/x86/Makefile'.  Stop.
    root@computer:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
    Last edited by tad1073; August 17th, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added more info
    | Corsair Carbide Series® 300R | Intel Core i5 650@3.20Ghz| OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD | Western Digital 1 Tb HDD |
    |Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme | Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 | Windows 10 Pro |

Page 104 of 152 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast