Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What other "kind" of geek are you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What other "kind" of geek are you

I'm geeky in a number of ways.

- GPS/Geocaching geek. Search for "geocaching" if you're not familiar with the sport. I'm pretty sure that GPS technology somehow ties in to another geeky interest of mine (see below).

- Computer geek. I am pretty much "tech support" for my family and friends whenever they're having computer troubles. I can fix most problems, hardware and software related. I enjoy the challenge (most of the time).

- I collect ancient coins/artifacts from the Roman Empire. Coin collecting is often considered a geeky hobby, but this aspect gets seriously into the history behind the artifacts themselves. It would totally consume my "hobby time," if it weren't for the expense!

- Maps. I don't know if there is such a thing as a "map" geek, but if there is, then I'm one. I LOVE maps, and have since I was a kid. I can't really quite put my finger on what I love about them, but I just do. I especially love antique maps. I was lucky enough to get a giant book of reproduction antique maps for Christmas-- it's so large, it won't even fit on my coffee table. I have to lay it on the floor to read it. Joy!!

- Amateur astronomy geek. Amateur astronomy was my first geek hobby. I've been into it since I was seven years old. I am part of a team that operates an observatory about 50 miles from my home. Our observatory contains some serious observing equipment and hosts public events that draw thousands of people each year.

I have lots of other hobbies I dabble in from time to time; some I don't partake in anymore due to time or cost factors, or just simply because I've lost interest. There's always something new out there to discover!
    Today, everybody remembers Galileo. How many can name the bishops and professors who refused to look through his telescope? - James Hogan, Mind Matters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Wink Re: What other "kind" of geek are you

Linux geek: let's not go here.
    Computer geek: am thoroughly thinking of replacing a HP e-pc with a dell gx110 because e-pc's use *external power supplies*. Also I swear by i8x0 mobos.
    mental health geek: see Linux geek except can rattle off meds regiments using seroquel and the old regiment before seroquel using klonopin, and then lamictal and ativan.
    healthfood geek: i tell u how to use herbs, 5htp and tyrosine, and a good multivitamin with extra Mg and Ca to detox off illegal drugs and psychomeds.
    Jpop geek: the best JPOP repository is muzie.co.jp YMMV

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Machine knitting geek.
    My knitting machine is connected to my computer with a CAD program for designing knitwear. Most excellent. I enjoyed creating the Tux The Linux Penguin Sweater, you can find it on the link to my web page below.

Beans

...........closet geek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sanderella View Post
    Machine knitting geek.
    My knitting machine is connected to my computer with a CAD program for designing knitwear. Most excellent. I enjoyed creating the Tux The Linux Penguin Sweater, you can find it on the link to my web page below.
    Thats the coolest fricking thing I've seen ALL MONTH.
    When I had no temple I made
    My voice my temple. I have
    No priest, my tongue is my choir.

Beans
    Hidden!

Music/Metal geek. \m/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Computer geek, music (mostly metal), scifi, robots......

Beans

Computer geek, -- I work as network admin, also have a sizable network @ home.

Amateur radio geek -- On above mentioned network, my desktop is controlling my PC based shortwave radio, and I'm studying to get my HAM license.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

computer geek - I love computers and playing around with them.. fiddling is fun for me (something that my husband totally can NOT relate to

internet geek - the web is home to me... from MUDs and chatrooms to searching for whatever, I love messing about on it...

video game geek - I love video games, especially my new Wii (zelda is awesome) and DS (must get phoenix wright 2 soon!!)

nature geek
    - I went to school for natural resources and me and a bunch of friends used to jokingly call ourselves 'nature geeks' - we wander through the woods naming all the plants/trees/fungi/birds/etc (both common and latin names...).
    Last edited by EmilyRose; January 25th, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm a DDR geek. I play DDR pretty much every day. I love it!

Also, I read pretty much any fiction novel I can get my hands on, especially mysteries.

I'm an HCI geek, because thats what I'm studying in grad school.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast