Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston (Massachusetts) Ubuntu Users?

Beans

Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    That's not a bad idea RAV.

So how about it Boston Area Ubuntu users? We want to form a chapter?
    Thats the spirit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

ok boston chapter

Ok Bostonians, I know that we have what it takes to get our local chapter running and spreading the Ubuntu Bug. I say we use this thread as a jumping off point. Rav is there any articles out there that talk about setting up a local chapter? As a local chapter would we be recognized by the NE Local team as official? the rest of ya. we might want to get our own blog or website of some sort together so we can network better. from there we need to strategize the best way to spread Ubuntu thought the MA area. Hopefully we can get the attention of more people who already use Linux based OS's in the area and get them to help the chapter out. what do you all think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm intrigued. But I'm only game if cookies are provided in a spirit of generosity... Mmmm cookies and coffee... or tea... but mostly coffee. Mmmmmmm.

I think I just sold myself... even if cookies don't materialize, there will always be a part of me with hope that one day, someone's just going to say "ubuntu is great, malathia, and to solidify that, here's a cookie!"

okay, perhaps I need to work less. Whatever.

But yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by malathia View Post
    I'm intrigued. But I'm only game if cookies are provided in a spirit of generosity... Mmmm cookies and coffee... or tea... but mostly coffee. Mmmmmmm.

I think I just sold myself... even if cookies don't materialize, there will always be a part of me with hope that one day, someone's just going to say "ubuntu is great, malathia, and to solidify that, here's a cookie!"

okay, perhaps I need to work less. Whatever.

But yes.
    I think we can do cookies. That shouldn't be an issue.

So, how about people email me some times when they are available, I'll do some homepage work, and get a tentative schedule going?

Email is in the profile.

Beans

Re: ok boston chapter

Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    Ok Bostonians, I know that we have what it takes to get our local chapter running and spreading the Ubuntu Bug. I say we use this thread as a jumping off point. Rav is there any articles out there that talk about setting up a local chapter? As a local chapter would we be recognized by the NE Local team as official? the rest of ya. we might want to get our own blog or website of some sort together so we can network better. from there we need to strategize the best way to spread Ubuntu thought the MA area. Hopefully we can get the attention of more people who already use Linux based OS's in the area and get them to help the chapter out. what do you all think?
    for a HOWTO set up a local team please refer to the HOWTO sticky in this forum:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333647

also any question please post here or contact the NU Ubuntu Team co-administrator:

Mackenzie: macogw

Also if you set up a local chapter which would essentially be a Boston LoCo Team....you as a group(chapter &/or Team) would be an official affliated Local Team within the NU Ubuntu Team region....

to be officially listed and affliated with the NU Ubuntu Team simply add Mackenzie and Myself to the team member list....PM Mackenzie and she will add your team as a NU Ubuntu Team Member.....thus adding you to the growing list of affliated teams in our region IE: DC LoCo & Pittsburgh LoCo Teams.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    for a HOWTO set up a local team please refer to the HOWTO sticky in this forum:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333647

also any question please post here or contact the NU Ubuntu Team co-administrator:

Mackenzie: macogw

Also if you set up a local chapter which would essentially be a Boston LoCo Team....you as a group(chapter &/or Team) would be an official affliated Local Team within the NU Ubuntu Team region....

to be officially listed and affliated with the NU Ubuntu Team simply add Mackenzie and Myself to the team member list....PM Mackenzie and she will add your team as a NU Ubuntu Team Member.....thus adding you to the growing list of affliated teams in our region IE: DC LoCo & Pittsburgh LoCo Teams.
    Geez RAV, do you even sleep?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    Geez RAV, do you even sleep?
    nocturnal for the most part....

I almost forgot once you set up your LoCo Team I suggest requesting an Official LoCo Team forum here within ubuntuforums.org, this will give you much increased exposer to recruit new members in your LoCo Team area....

submit your formal request only after you have set up your LoCo team here:
    Request a LoCo forum

also see this great HOWTO in that forum:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290685

or of course you are welcomed and encouraged to continue using the NU Ubuntu Forum (that would be quite awesome indeed)

but if you choose your own, just remember to keep a close affliation.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; January 14th, 2007 at 09:09 AM.

Beans

I live 5 minutes from boston proper. my brother is going to Boston University next year... but no matter what, i cant convince my brother to use linux at college.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I don't think we have to concern ourselves with shoving linux down peoples throats who don't want it. It doesn't matter one day he will get sick of the constant issues with his current OS and start looking at Linux. I use to spend so much time messing with my old OS that It really hurt my productivity and fun. Now I just work and play as I please.
    ~drascus~

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm here in Melrose. What's the latest on forming a chapter? We could meet down in Harvard Square or something. Somewhere warm...

Cool story: My little sister in Malden got an old Dell P4 PC from Tufts that came with Win2K installed. She got it running with DSL last week, and one day later her computer was rendered unusable because of a trojan even her antivirus software couldn't kill. I went over to her house yesterday, wiped the HD, installed Kubuntu, got her fiance's iPod Nano working like a dream, showed her the glories of OpenOffice, and she was an instant convert. We Linux guys forget how revolutionary it is for lots of computer users not to have to worry about constantly updating antivirus software, getting a virus, etc. She was tickled pink.

She just couldn't believe it was all free. Then, when I was done with my demo, she asked me a great question, "Why don't more people know about this?"

Good question. That could be part of the Boston group's mission statement.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast