Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 132

Thread: Boston (Massachusetts) Ubuntu Users?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Beans
    4,022

    Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    That's not a bad idea RAV.

    So how about it Boston Area Ubuntu users? We want to form a chapter?
    Thats the spirit!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Beans
    305
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    ok boston chapter

    Ok Bostonians, I know that we have what it takes to get our local chapter running and spreading the Ubuntu Bug. I say we use this thread as a jumping off point. Rav is there any articles out there that talk about setting up a local chapter? As a local chapter would we be recognized by the NE Local team as official? the rest of ya. we might want to get our own blog or website of some sort together so we can network better. from there we need to strategize the best way to spread Ubuntu thought the MA area. Hopefully we can get the attention of more people who already use Linux based OS's in the area and get them to help the chapter out. what do you all think?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Beans
    36
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

    I'm intrigued. But I'm only game if cookies are provided in a spirit of generosity... Mmmm cookies and coffee... or tea... but mostly coffee. Mmmmmmm.

    I think I just sold myself... even if cookies don't materialize, there will always be a part of me with hope that one day, someone's just going to say "ubuntu is great, malathia, and to solidify that, here's a cookie!"


    okay, perhaps I need to work less. Whatever.

    But yes.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Beans
    1,059
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by malathia View Post
    I'm intrigued. But I'm only game if cookies are provided in a spirit of generosity... Mmmm cookies and coffee... or tea... but mostly coffee. Mmmmmmm.

    I think I just sold myself... even if cookies don't materialize, there will always be a part of me with hope that one day, someone's just going to say "ubuntu is great, malathia, and to solidify that, here's a cookie!"


    okay, perhaps I need to work less. Whatever.

    But yes.
    I think we can do cookies. That shouldn't be an issue.

    So, how about people email me some times when they are available, I'll do some homepage work, and get a tentative schedule going?

    Email is in the profile.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Beans
    4,022

    Re: ok boston chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    Ok Bostonians, I know that we have what it takes to get our local chapter running and spreading the Ubuntu Bug. I say we use this thread as a jumping off point. Rav is there any articles out there that talk about setting up a local chapter? As a local chapter would we be recognized by the NE Local team as official? the rest of ya. we might want to get our own blog or website of some sort together so we can network better. from there we need to strategize the best way to spread Ubuntu thought the MA area. Hopefully we can get the attention of more people who already use Linux based OS's in the area and get them to help the chapter out. what do you all think?
    for a HOWTO set up a local team please refer to the HOWTO sticky in this forum:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333647

    also any question please post here or contact the NU Ubuntu Team co-administrator:

    Mackenzie: macogw

    Also if you set up a local chapter which would essentially be a Boston LoCo Team....you as a group(chapter &/or Team) would be an official affliated Local Team within the NU Ubuntu Team region....

    to be officially listed and affliated with the NU Ubuntu Team simply add Mackenzie and Myself to the team member list....PM Mackenzie and she will add your team as a NU Ubuntu Team Member.....thus adding you to the growing list of affliated teams in our region IE: DC LoCo & Pittsburgh LoCo Teams.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Beans
    1,059
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: ok boston chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    for a HOWTO set up a local team please refer to the HOWTO sticky in this forum:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333647

    also any question please post here or contact the NU Ubuntu Team co-administrator:

    Mackenzie: macogw

    Also if you set up a local chapter which would essentially be a Boston LoCo Team....you as a group(chapter &/or Team) would be an official affliated Local Team within the NU Ubuntu Team region....

    to be officially listed and affliated with the NU Ubuntu Team simply add Mackenzie and Myself to the team member list....PM Mackenzie and she will add your team as a NU Ubuntu Team Member.....thus adding you to the growing list of affliated teams in our region IE: DC LoCo & Pittsburgh LoCo Teams.
    Geez RAV, do you even sleep?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Beans
    4,022

    Re: ok boston chapter

    Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    Geez RAV, do you even sleep?
    nocturnal for the most part....

    I almost forgot once you set up your LoCo Team I suggest requesting an Official LoCo Team forum here within ubuntuforums.org, this will give you much increased exposer to recruit new members in your LoCo Team area....

    submit your formal request only after you have set up your LoCo team here:
    Request a LoCo forum

    also see this great HOWTO in that forum:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290685

    or of course you are welcomed and encouraged to continue using the NU Ubuntu Forum (that would be quite awesome indeed)

    but if you choose your own, just remember to keep a close affliation.
    Last edited by RAV TUX; January 14th, 2007 at 09:09 AM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Beans
    679
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

    I live 5 minutes from boston proper. my brother is going to Boston University next year... but no matter what, i cant convince my brother to use linux at college.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Beans
    305
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

    I don't think we have to concern ourselves with shoving linux down peoples throats who don't want it. It doesn't matter one day he will get sick of the constant issues with his current OS and start looking at Linux. I use to spend so much time messing with my old OS that It really hurt my productivity and fun. Now I just work and play as I please.
    ~drascus~
    http://www.gnu.org support the FSF join or donate http://www.fsf.org| Software Patents threaten every computer user: http://endsoftpatents.org/ | hit F6 twice choose free software only support Gnash:http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1128/

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Boston Ubuntu Users?

    I'm here in Melrose. What's the latest on forming a chapter? We could meet down in Harvard Square or something. Somewhere warm...

    Cool story: My little sister in Malden got an old Dell P4 PC from Tufts that came with Win2K installed. She got it running with DSL last week, and one day later her computer was rendered unusable because of a trojan even her antivirus software couldn't kill. I went over to her house yesterday, wiped the HD, installed Kubuntu, got her fiance's iPod Nano working like a dream, showed her the glories of OpenOffice, and she was an instant convert. We Linux guys forget how revolutionary it is for lots of computer users not to have to worry about constantly updating antivirus software, getting a virus, etc. She was tickled pink.

    She just couldn't believe it was all free. Then, when I was done with my demo, she asked me a great question, "Why don't more people know about this?"

    Good question. That could be part of the Boston group's mission statement.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •