Thread: Anyone done an Adult Ed Class?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Anyone done an Adult Ed Class?

I want to pitch the local Community/Adult Education Center with the idea of a Basics of Linux class featuring Ubuntu. Has anyone done something similar? If so, what lesson plan did you use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Anyone done an Adult Ed Class?

Wow, that sounds like a GREAT idea! Never even thought of that but I think it would work great!

Kinda like an introduction to Linux in general using Ubuntu as an example and providing CDs to every student.

What about doing a lesson plan on the Wiki so that people can provide some input and anybody wanting to do something similar would have a reference?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Wow, that sounds like a GREAT idea! Never even thought of that but I think it would work great!

Kinda like an introduction to Linux in general using Ubuntu as an example and providing CDs to every student.

What about doing a lesson plan on the Wiki so that people can provide some input and anybody wanting to do something similar would have a reference?
    Good point! Will do!

Beans
    Hidden!

Classes

I remember seeing something about that on the Ubuntu help page, though now I can't find where. There is a repository somewhere of people who have taught Ubuntu classes, and the materials are public, you can expand and improve them to teach Ubuntu classes.

If anyone can find where that is I would be interested in doing something like that myself. I think that because of Ubuntu, Linux is finally ready for the masses, so now it is our job to teach it and distribute it.
    It's all about people

Beans

This is a good idea as Ubuntu is always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing. One can learn about it from cds and also by browsing through the sites.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    julie

http://sexygirlsandwomen.com/wide.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've forgotten about this thread, but was recently thinking about pitching an Adult Ed class through our local Parks & Rec.

If anybody finds that resource mentioned, please post a link.

Also, we could start our own Wiki page to outline how a class could go and what subjects to cover? Just an idea.

Beans

Beans

I've got a course on open source software in general scheduled in Sandwich (Cape Cod) on June 9. This will be my first time teaching it. At this point there's just one person signed up, so I don't know if it will go. It's frustrating that all their Vista and Office courses fill up completely, but patience...

I haven't fully prepared the course yet, but you can be sure Ubuntu will occupy a good portion of the class.

BTW: Hi everybody, I'm new here. I found this group through an insert with my free Powered by Ubuntu stickers from system76.com

I first used Linux in 1998 but I never seemed to have a spare computer to install it on. I work in IT and as you probably guessed, our company is 99% Windows. The other 1% is our CentOS Linux mail server and an AlphaServer running OpenVMS, an Eee 900 NetBook, and my dual-booted desktop computer.

Class link: http://activenet6.active.com/scslear...agenum=3&paid=

Beans

@georget99

That sounds really cool! You might get some more attendees if you post about this to our mailing list at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ma

We have a bunch of members out in your neck of the woods looking to participate in community events, but can't make it out to the ones we hold here out in eastern mass.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@georget99: Good Luck!