Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A world without Windows

Beans

Re: A world without Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    I don't think the mass of users are any more savvy than they were back in the day. The servers might still be up, but there'd be nobody to surf to them: all the windows hosts are down. ISPs who drank the Windows Kool-Aid would be knocked out, ditto educational institutions (my grad school was an all-Windows shop, from the library computers through the Exchange server).
    Agreed, I find it's rather the contrary. People are a lot LESS savvy now, because oftentimes they don't need to be.
    "I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ The Black Mage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by syrleb View Post
    i would laugh my *** of at bill gates, then come on ubuntu and play frozen bubble..
    That made my day a whole lot brighter! *turns on super tux*

Windows could never be made illegal, but it could be possible that microsoft could dissapear, and thus Windows not get updated and schools pretty much have to have that.

And for some odd reason, I'm a Sophomore who's been to four colleges, and all of those four had the dumbest tech deparments, right up to the head, that I have ever seen. Dumb as bricks I say. If they don't get support and updates who knows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    I don't think it would be that bad. How many of the major web and e commerce sites run BSD? I would be a major step back, but I do not think that it will be a plunge back to the dark ages of bulletin boards and baud rate modems. People are alot more savvy now.
    Err... The economy would collapse, you know.

Lots of companies depend on their networks, and most of the computers run Windows (not mentioning the servers here).

Yes, the setback would be temporal, but still...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree that it would have a profound effect on our economy, and thus world wide balance. If Americans (I'm American, I assume everyone I'm talking with is American, it's apart of our culture just like beans on toast in england, get used to it) and other big tech developed countries are hit hard and are put on even level with developing countries ("third world country" is not a correct phrase anymore, by the way) then that gives the developing countries a chance to catch up, just as much as we would have.

Do you think this affects any judges decisions to make against microsoft or how heavy of punishments they do make against microsoft? Not in a "it's a conspiracy" way, but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

the third world has a hard enough time getting enough electric power to run computers and enough literate people to operate them. It also has a hard enough time keeping the few literate, competent people they might have alive, since war and pestilence tend to have a detrimental effect on one's life expectancy.

Computers are important. They are not everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well there'd likely be panic for a while, but then some bright spark would go "Oh heres's this Linux thing we can use" and things would steady out again. Unless Windows suddenly stopped working at all overnight I can't see rioting on the streets or anything...nothing on the scale of say, EMP attack or anything.

Though it's hardly likely is it? Just remember who this judge would be up against, a guy with the deepest pockets in the world who just happens to be plugged into most of the worlds computers. Dunno about you but I'd think twice about putting someone like that out of business without at least a large army behind me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Except for BSD, Solaris, and Linux machines.
    Linux in 1989? Was that the Linux before Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiasdm View Post
    Err... The economy would collapse, you know.

Lots of companies depend on their networks, and most of the computers run Windows (not mentioning the servers here).

Yes, the setback would be temporal, but still...
    I call BS. Every major bank runs contingency programs, including dealing with paper backup just like 20 years ago. Just because the network goes down, that doesn't mean that you can't go back to calculator and phones.

It may be a networked economy, but there was an economy and a market before the network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I call BS. Every major bank runs contingency programs, including dealing with paper backup just like 20 years ago. Just because the network goes down, that doesn't mean that you can't go back to calculator and phones.

It may be a networked economy, but there was an economy and a market before the network.
    it does make for a much slower pace. On Black Friday (the friday after the Thanksgiving holiday in the US), the credit card authorization network went down briefly at around 0600, Eastern Time. That setback turned what would have been an hour's wait in line to a two or three hour wait as credit cards had to be authorized manually.

would people adapt? certainly. Would they live the same life they used to? Certainly not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think people would keep using illegal copies of Windows, just like they do now!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast