Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: MIDI in Hoary

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: MIDI in Hoary

I have a problem with midi and i think it is the sequencer. Whena i typed sudo apt-get install awesfx;asfxload i saw this message :
    No Emux synth hwdep device is found.
    When I type cat /dev/sndstat i see this:
    Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.6 emulation code)
    Kernel: Linux vidyu 2.6.10-5-386 #1 Tue Apr 5 12:12:40 UTC 2005 i686
    Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
    Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
    Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xd800, irq 5

Audio devices:
    0: ES1371 DAC2/ADC (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
    0: ES1371

Timers:
    7: system timer

Mixers:
    0: Cirrus Logic CS4297A rev 3

I will de happy if anyone can help me.
    Sorry for my bad english speeking.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: MIDI in Hoary

For the sake of full information , you could point to this wiki page for the software synthesis:
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Midi...SynthesisHowTo

Alain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Deusiah
    please ensure you know your card works with ALSA or OSS and has a hardware synthesizer if your card does not have both please seek help elsewhere on the forums.
    Need I say more?

Beans

This was just to expand on the 'elsewhere' part of the sentence, for the sake of completeness. I did not want to interfere in any other way.
    Alain

Beans

I followed the steps from http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Midi...SynthesisHowTo , but when I type timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 it shows me that is opening 128:0 (I`m not sure for the number of the port) and other ports and does nothing else until i "ctrl-c" it. And then when I type pmidi -p 128:0 music.mid i did not hear any sound. I`m not sure that my card have hardware synthesizer. How can I find that? Thank you for the answers and again all my apologies for my bad english.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Sorry Alain, that post was not meant for you. I don't wish to include such links because it encourages people with software Midi problems to post here, as you can see by the fact that Vidyu has ignored what I said and just posted here anyway. There are many many topics about software synthesis on these forums, why should this hardware synthesis topic be turned into another?

For Vidyu, as I said before and will continue to repeat until you take note:
    please seek help elsewhere on the forums.
    There are better places for you to ask that question, this is not one of them. Please ask in another thread or start your own thread. Thank You.

Beans

Sorry Alain, that post was not meant for you. I don't wish to include such links because it encourages people with software Midi problems to post here, as you can see by the fact that Vidyu has ignored what I said and just posted here anyway. There are many many topics about software synthesis on these forums, why should this hardware synthesis topic be turned into another?

For Vidyu, as I said before and will continue to repeat until you take note:

There are better places for you to ask that question, this is not one of them. Please ask in another thread or start your own thread. Thank You.
    I guess you should rename the topic then, because it is a bit misleading... What about HOWTO: MIDI in Hoary with hardware synthesizer or something like that.

I do not hardware synth myself, but the first topic I bumped in was that one. I would disregard it if the title were different.

Having said that I do not see a problem to have software and hardware synth in one thread, but it's up to Deusiah of course.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Anyone happen to know if there's a program out there that is not QT based that can play MIDI files through the hardware synthesizer?

I was considering the xmms-midi plugin, but I noticed that it uses Timidity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

That's a good idea foxy123 and I did just try to change it but to no avail. I really do hate the mega bloated vBulletin when it comes to forums.

Anyway the reason why I would prefer it to be kept to hardware is because there are already good software midi Howto's in this forum yet I never found one for using your hardware. True I could write more about setting up timidi but I feel I would just be repeating what others have already gone to a lot of trouble to explain.

As for GTK 2 based midi players, I don't know to any sorry. There are some sequencers available which should do the job. Take a look at http://gnomefile.org for some.

Beans

In response to the request for hardware details, this works perfectly for me with a Soundblaster Live! Value, circa 2000 vintage. Thanks to Deusiah, I finally have Rosegarden working properly - and it wastes an indecent amount of my time, too.

I can't get midi to work with Wine, though, and I can't find any threads that might help. Anyone else had any luck?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast