Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Every try FreeBSD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Every try FreeBSD?

Well FreeBSD is really great operation system. But I think OpenBSD would be the best. To talk about good and bad things there is no point. Everything is written in http://www.freebsd.com/ or http://www.openbsd.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I used FreeBSD 6.1 for around six months just prior to switching to Kubuntu. It was a lot of work to get things going at first, since I hadn't used *nix in years, but I enjoyed it after a while. However, I never got the wireless working, and it didn't seem quite suited to my laptop. Thumbs up all the same, though.
    Registered Linux User #437304

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by md5 View Post
    Well FreeBSD is really great operation system. But I think OpenBSD would be the best. To talk about good and bad things there is no point. Everything is written in http://www.freebsd.com/ or http://www.openbsd.com/
    There are pros & cons to both. I like the OpenBSD approach but it also has it's downsides.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

FreeBSD was my first exposure to a *nix system I dual booted it on a 2nd hard drive and had a blast playing with everything. The main reason I didn't switch to FreeBSD from windows back then it was several years before the nvidia drivers became available. It was quite stable and ran faster than most other distros I tried at the time especially comparing DE running speeds. If I ever have need of a dedicated server some point in the future I will most likely give it a run again.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have run it but only as giving it a try in a virtual machine. It is not for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    There are pros & cons to both. I like the OpenBSD approach but it also has it's downsides.
    which is better for a newb ?

I tried to install FreeBSD on my laptop, but was unsuccessful.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dbbolton View Post
    which is better for a newb ?
    From that perspective they are pretty much the same for a 'newb'. I would say go with FreeBSD.

If you want an easy intoduction to FreeBSD try PCBSD or DesktopBSD. Would be comparable to installing sabayon linux in order to try Gentoo out. Makes it easier for you and you can get familiar with it.

If you do try FreeBSD I suggest having the FreeBSD install documentation on hand if you dont have access to a second pc with internet access.
    Last edited by mips; December 23rd, 2006 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I've messed with FreeBSD on VMWare, but I just didn't have the time to get Gnome/KDE/etc. installed.

However, I've used PCBSD extensivly on VMWare and in dual-boot with Ubuntu, and even submitted a PBI to the queue.

Beans

If you do try FreeBSD I suggest having the FreeBSD install documentation on hand if you dont have access to a second pc with internet access.
    scary but i love a good challenge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast