36 57.14%
  • TK

1 1.59%
  • wxwidgets

17 26.98%
  • qt

9 14.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which GUI toolkit do you prefer to use with python and why?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Which GUI toolkit do you prefer to use with python and why?

As long as we're bringing back old threads, I thought I'd give my opinion.

I like Qt because it's the only API I know well enough to get anything done in. I tried GTK+ for about ten minutes once and stopped when I realized it was written in C and gtk_functions_look_like_this(). I don't know whether the C++ wrapper or PyGTK improve on this, though.

I haven't tried wxWidgets in a long time, but why switch toolkits when I'm already happy?

Knowing Qt is a plus for other reasons- since KDE is built on it, it'll be much easier to migrate should I decide to write a desktop-integrated application.

Qt Designer is a nice program for my purposes.

Tk is ugly and Zenity is for shell scripts. Sorry.
    Last edited by snova; October 10th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by snova View Post
    Tk is ugly and Zenity is for shell scripts. Sorry.
    AFAIK zenity can be used to some extent with any language. Most of its functionality simply maps to a complex command.

You don't need to be sorry either way though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Qt is terrible. It befouls the pure FOSS world with proprietary toolkits owned by companies (like Trolltech). Glade is better than the Qt Designer and the look of function calls is no reason to use a specific toolkit.
    Help raise community spirit! Contribute to the BUMP Thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=520091
    Assimilate! http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=265!

Beans

wxWidgets rulez!
    If you read the wiki on wxWidgets site, you will know a lot of GUI toolkits out there: wx, Qt, GTK, FLTK, tk, ... Among them, there are 3 most famous toolkits: wx, Qt and GTK. I like wxWidgets the best, because the GUI I built will have native look'n'feel on most platform. On Windows, wx uses Win32 API, on Linux uses GTK, MacOS uses Carbon or smth (not tried Mac yet). Qt and GTK just use graphics primitive to draw controls and make a fake look'n'feel. I'm sticked with wxWidgets and use it for most of my projects. Qt is better than GTK on the programming perspective (who wants to wrote GUI in C language, so painful and time consuming. C++ is already made, why not use it?)

Advantages of wxWidgets (based on my experience):
    _ More native look'n'feel
    _ Easy to use, powerful and more complete
    _ Intuitive, comprehensive: APIs like MFC, which is the first toolkit I used. Short learning curve. Well documented.
    _ Using C++, and ported to almost any other languages, especially well integrated with Python, the most interesting programming language.
    _ Free for commercial use (Qt not)
    _ Many tool built on it: CodeBlocks - a great free IDE; wxFormBuilder - a excellent free form designer for wx; Boa Constructor: great IDE for Python and wxPython.
    _ Run even on Palm, WinCE, ...

The drawback is that it does not have native look'n'feel on KDE. You must use Qt-GTK to imitate, or use Qt to create GUI. On GNOME, use wxGTK instead of standard GTK, and making GUI is much less stressful.
    Last edited by pxhai; October 10th, 2008 at 03:05 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123