Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: XFCE4 with no Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

HOWTO: XFCE4 with no Gnome

I've seen posts about getting down to XFCE4 after install but what I wanted was just XFCE4 from the start. Nothing else. I found a sight in French that had the info I needed so I thought I'd redo it for you all here.

This is geared towards an x86 install. If you are installing on a PPC system, the acpi stuff may not work for you. Actually, it may not work on an x868 system either. It all depends on your hardware.

This is short and sweet as I figure if this is what you're looking for, you probably don't need too much hand-holding.

(I should add that after completeing this, I had what I wanted but it turned out that I actually had no idea how much I'd miss Gnome. So, I'm back to the normal install.)

Boot with the CD inserted. At the initial prompt, type "server" and presss enter. This will get you your bare (or bare-ish) install. Once the install is complete and you are logged in, change your sources.list to include the universe, multiverse and, optionally, MPlayer repositories. Instructions are here.

(NOTE: In those instructions you will see a line that reads
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Since you did the "server" version of the install, you won't have gedit available to you. You can use either vi or nano. So replace that line with either
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    or
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    If you're new to Linux, you'll probably find nano a lot easier to use than vi.)

Then do

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Once that is done, do

Code:
    sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core xfce4 synaptic gnome-sudo gdm acpi acpid powermanagement-interface mozilla-firefox
    Firefox is not at all necessary but most people seem to want it so I threw it in there. Take it out if you want.

Reboot and you will have a very bare install using XFCE4 without Gnome. From there just apt-get your way to your own little custom Xubuntu. (I said it!)
    Last edited by SFN; September 12th, 2005 at 03:36 PM.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: XFCE4 with no Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by SFN
    <snip>
    Reboot and you will have a very bare install using XFCE4 without Gnome. From there just apt-get your way to your own little custom BLEEP. (I said it!)
    that's a bad word!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thaks for the how to!, I'll try it right away!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I just did a fresh install on both a G5 ppc and a Celeron 700mhz box. Both are exactly what I wanted. I had previously executed this with warty, but with much less efficiency.
    The gdm instead of xdm is a nice touch.
    right on.

Beans

thanks!!!
    working great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a PIII 733MHz/128 RAM/ 3.4 HD system running xcfe4 with no Gnome, and I did it just like you said I just had to install ssh, samba and beepMediaPlayer and I have my own Xubuntu that only takes up 606 Mb. I love it! Perfect for just playing mp3s and nothing else. And I can control it from any other computer in the house (another PIII/700 Ubuntu machine, a Powerbook and a P4 with Windows XP)

Whats wrong with Xubuntu?! Sounds like a great spinoff to me! Is it really a bad word?
    Last edited by nicholaspaul; May 31st, 2005 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Whats wrong with Xubuntu?! Sounds like a great spinoff to me! Is it really a bad word?
    No, not really. Mr. Shuttleworth had said in an interview that he liked the idea of an "XFCE-buntu". People quickly latched on to the idea and started referring to it as Xubuntu. Eventually, a thread about the idea of Xubuntu was started here. Then a second. Then a third. As always happens when new ideas are presented, some people got bent out of shape. Not just here but in other forums as well. The Ubuntu community though, in its (so far) typical fashion, didn't get too rattled. It was a pretty interesting exchange. (That is, for me, what makes Ubuntu kick large amounts of butt - open dialogue, helpful suggestions, good people.)

Check out the threads here: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=861177
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by SFN
    No, not really. Mr. Shuttleworth had said in an interview that he liked the idea of an "XFCE-buntu". People quickly latched on to the idea and started referring to it as Xubuntu. Eventually, a thread about the idea of Xubuntu was started here. Then a second. Then a third. As always happens when new ideas are presented, some people got bent out of shape. Not just here but in other forums as well. The Ubuntu community though, in its (so far) typical fashion, didn't get too rattled. It was a pretty interesting exchange. (That is, for me, what makes Ubuntu kick large amounts of butt - open dialogue, helpful suggestions, good people.)

Check out the threads here: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=861177
    I'd say Xubuntu sounds like a crappy name, but a great idea as far as XFCE+Ubuntu. There again, I don't like the "first letter adoption to names" thing that seems so popular with GNU/Linux programs ala Kubuntu or what have you.
    I have that 700mhz Celeron with 384mb RAM box and without this thread, I'd not know what to do with it
    An .iso of this nature for both x86 and PPC is certainly useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Oh, I always thought the naming convention of most linux things was pretty silly - like the self-referenced abbreviations! Too funny. But thats the way it is. Personally I think Xubuntu would just be in keeping with that convention. C'est la Vie.

But then i thought OSX sounded like Oh yes sex....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

thanks for tip, i will try it later

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast