Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO: XFCE4 with no Gnome

Beans

Re: HOWTO: XFCE4 with no Gnome

I did a new installation following this article and ... WOW! Incredible how my machine is running fast now!
    It loads all the system in about 30 seconds and looks great!
    I already knew XFCE4 but never had the time to work around it and learn how to use it, so I have 2 or 3 little issues:

1) I installed synaptic but I can't see it in the menu nor running it from the command line which it's bizarre 'cause I've also installed gnomebaker and this is correctly appearing in that same menu
    2) I want to change from single click in the file manager to open files with double click but I can't figure it out how to change this

Well, I think probably more issues will arise while I'm learning how to deal with XFCE but I must tell you:

THANK YOU very much for this great how-to, XFCE looks great, it's really fast and, for my purposes, I think I'll stick with it for a while

Zeca

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by zeca_pedra
    1) I installed synaptic but I can't see it in the menu nor running it from the command line which it's bizarre 'cause I've also installed gnomebaker and this is correctly appearing in that same menu
    I just did a new install in Breezy and I have noticed that same thing about Synaptic in the menu. That is odd but it can easily be added manually to the iconbar.

Right-click anywhere on the iconbar. Choose "Add new item". The first text box is for the icon. Type in "/usr/share/pixmaps/synaptic.png". In the "Command:" text box, type in "gksudo synaptic". Uncheck the box that says "Attach menu to launcher". Also, adjust the "Position" item at the top of the window to place the icon where you want it on the toolbar. When you're done, click Close.

(I originally had instructions here for adding Synaptic to the menu but that doesn't seem to work. Not sure why. Probably the same issue that prevents it from being added to the menu automatically. At this point, it can be run from the iconbar shortcut or by typing "gksudo synaptic" in either the "Run Program" item at the top of the menu or the command line.)

As for it not starting from the command line, I'm not having that problem. Are you starting by typing in "gksudo synaptic"? If not, try that. It should work.

2) I want to change from single click in the file manager to open files with double click but I can't figure it out how to change this
    I have no idea on that one. I'll see what I can find. Should anyone else know the answer, feel free to post it here.

THANK YOU very much for this great how-to, XFCE looks great, it's really fast and, for my purposes, I think I'll stick with it for a while

Zeca
    Glad you like it. I just posted a new HOWTO about doing this in Breezy. Only some minor changes but one of those changes will get your USB drives automounted. That HOWTO is here.
    Last edited by SFN; October 14th, 2005 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Deleted instructions for adding Synaptic to the menu and told why
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is not officially announced yet, but the name is Xubuntu and the package does exist.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/misc/xubuntu-desktop
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Oh. Well, that's great!

I'll check out the dev list and see if I can help in any way. I probably can't as my skills are somewhat, er, poor - but you never know.

Thanks for the info!
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

zeca_pedra, if you cannot see synaptic in your menu it might be because you don't have the package gksu installed. The xubuntu-desktop package doesn't install this. The menu item for synaptic needs gksudo to show up.

If this is the case, the 2 options are 1, run sudo synaptic from a terminal, or 2 install gksu and you should see the menu item appear.

Beans

Cheer!! Thank you for that tip. I can refresh my Pentium 166 64MB with xfce. I cannot use Xterminal besides it located icon on menu. Anyone can tell me or missing any package install?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234