Thread: Sorting my MP3 collection

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Sorting my MP3 collection

Hey everyone:

I love amaroK.

I'm a long time iTunes user, and I'm about to re-rip my CD collection (long story...) as well as sort some other MP3s that I have lying around that are from compilations and not from a whole CD. The only thing that amaroK is missing is iTunes' ability to keep my music folder organized for me.

What's the best way to do this to keep it organized from the start? I got about 5 albums of stuff in before I realized my Music folder was an absolute mess...does anyone know of a script that could sort all this out, and how to best rip the rest of my collection to keep it sorted? I'd prefer most to have it do something like ~/Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3...

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Sorting my MP3 collection

When you right click on songs or groups of songs in your collection, there is a manage files option.

This should probably be in a support forum.
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans

Yes, Amarok has an organize files option if you right click on an artist/album, etc.

Also, if you're re-ripping your CD collection, I'd recommend using OGG instead of mp3 (unless you have to put it on an mp3 player. In that case, )

Beans

I make sure all the meta data is consistent and I have all my files in one spot, uses this naming method.
    Also I keep it all in one directory.

Artist(mandatory)-Album(opt)-(trackNumber[opt])Song(mandatory)

It has worked very well and it sorts out in perfect order, usually I avoid Spaces by capitalizing the letter after the space to, so it would look like this Blur-BestOf-4Song2, I share my music to my other devices using podcasts (with a cookie for protection of course) and this seems to be the best way to do it, since PHP can't read Metadata, but it has came in handy just for managing my collection too.

Yes, Amarok has an organize files option if you right click on an artist/album, etc.

Also, if you're re-ripping your CD collection, I'd recommend using OGG instead of mp3 (unless you have to put it on an mp3 player. In that case, )
    All formats have their advantage, its like saying PNG is better then JPEG, they are both equal but different in some cases.
    Last edited by addicted68098; November 28th, 2006 at 04:46 AM.

Beans

I don't really know of any advantages mp3 has over vorbis, besides that ogg/vorbis takes more processing power to play, which is why it's not as highly recommended for mp3 players (and the fact that its very unsupported). Also, Vorbis is an open source alternative. I'm not trying to be an OGG zealot, I just really don't know of any serious advantages that mp3 has.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Yeah, iPod doesn't really have native OGG support...I'd like to support OGG, but right now MP3 is more portable with the gagetry I have...

Thanks for all the help guys! I looked all over for that stuff...now I just have go home and try it.