Thread: Errors while updating eclipse

Beans

Errors while updating eclipse

Hello,

I am new to ubuntu and linux. I have set up Ubuntu Edgy Eft and installed the lates eclipse 3.2.1 packages. I brought up eclipse and then tried to updates using the "Software Updates" feature of Eclipse. I keep getting errors about Eclipse being unable to create directories in /usr/lib/eclipse/features.....

What do I do? My user id belongs to the same group as root which is the owner and the group wx permissions are set for the eclipse and features directories.

Any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: Errors while updating eclipse

Why are you doing this?
    Either install the eclipse providen by ubuntu, and let synaptic / apt-get manage the updates for you,
    or install eclipse locally / manually (by downloading the tar.gz from eclipse site and untarring it somewhere), and then update it if you really need to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I found it better to download Eclipse manually, and extract it to my home directory - and then run the Updates from within Eclipse itself. But I'm on Dapper, and there is no Eclipse 3.2.1 package available from the Ubuntu repositories.
    Microsoft only gives you Windows... Ubuntu gives you the whole damn house!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shining View Post
    Why are you doing this?
    Either install the eclipse providen by ubuntu, and let synaptic / apt-get manage the updates for you,
    or install eclipse locally / manually (by downloading the tar.gz from eclipse site and untarring it somewhere), and then update it if you really need to.
    I needed to install some plugins not available through apt-get. I guess I will have to do what you suggest.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by domo876 View Post
    I needed to install some plugins not available through apt-get. I guess I will have to do what you suggest.

Thanks.
    I don't understand. Are you trying to install some plugins, or to update eclipse? That's two totally different things
    The deb package are installed in /usr/lib/eclipse , and you've no write permission there.
    However, nothing prevents you from installing additional plugins, which will be installed in ~/.eclipse/
    I've both the deb eclipse package and eclipse manually installed, and both work as well with an additional plugin.
    But the first has to be updated using apt-get, the second via eclipse.

Beans
    Hidden!

HI

i am going to make your day, well anybody that uses eclipse actually. forget debain packages, what a bunch of BS that is.

i found this the other day and had to fight an erection off.

http://yoxos.com/ondemand/

this is the best thing that has ever happened to me since i found eclipse. take a look at some of the popular scenarios, i'm using the java web all in one + testNG (seems to be gone now actually )

when you start up it updates automatically & the yoxos perspective is just wonderful when you need a plugin. no more hunting for jar files, copying them in and hoping they work. no more of the help > software updates > paste in a url and hope for the best crap either. i am thrilled i think i'm actually gonna pay for it when my subscription runs out instead of just making a fake one every 3 months.