Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadband ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Broadband ....

Ho all,
    Im relatively new to Ubuntu. Ive run Breezy, Hoary and now Dapper and I generally have very few problems. Currently, my box has no internet connection, so I DO have a problem with dependencies, but hell, I CANT AFFORD ADSL.

Heres why:
    I just read the MyADSL report and find the prices charged by Telkom and their cohorts ridiculous. We currently pay 4X what everybody else pays... everaged, of course.

Ill continue with this post later. My boss calls, and he has a big d1ek
    B

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Broadband ....

there's not much we can do there about telkom. they are a useless company. i feel your pain... how do u connect to the internet now?
    the best things in life are free

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

o, & try get a hold of a edgy cd... its great
    the best things in life are free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

i heard there are Ubuntu DVD copies which you can get a hold of which have many dependencies and lots of software, they made it especially for people without internet connections, so you can search the forums somewhere to get yourself a copy.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by S1NGH View Post
    i heard there are Ubuntu DVD copies which you can get a hold of which have many dependencies and lots of software, they made it especially for people without internet connections, so you can search the forums somewhere to get yourself a copy.
    The "official" DVD images are of the main and (I presume) restricted repositories - so it's all of the officially supported packages but nothing from universe.

You might be able to get this off a Freedom Toaster.

If you're in Cape Town you could get it from me (Northern Suburbs).

Cheers
    Morgan
    Morgan Collett

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by online14230 View Post
    Ho all,
    Im relatively new to Ubuntu. Ive run Breezy, Hoary and now Dapper and I generally have very few problems. Currently, my box has no internet connection, so I DO have a problem with dependencies, but hell, I CANT AFFORD ADSL.

Heres why:
    I just read the MyADSL report and find the prices charged by Telkom and their cohorts ridiculous. We currently pay 4X what everybody else pays... everaged, of course.

Ill continue with this post later. My boss calls, and he has a big d1ek
    B
    If you have NO internet I would recommend you look at another distro like Debian for example which comes in DVDs or multiple CDs.

Do you not even have dialup ?

I used to be on dialup but adsl actually works out much cheaper for me. I save about R300-R500 a month now with adsl.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

...same with me, i am staying in Botswana, and it works out much better and there are good benefits of having ADSL too, think about, work out a budget plan or something

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Howdy,

Providing mechanisms for dealing with expensive or non-existent bandwidth is difficult and not normally taken as a serious concern by GNU/Linux distributions or many other software projects/companies.

I defense of Ubuntu, at least you can order a free CD of the LTS release.

There are ways around this, eg I have the full Universe, Restricted, Main, Multiverse and Non-Free repositories on a set of DVD's. The problem, of course, is keeping them updated.

Kindest Regards

Craig A. Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Things are a bit hard here in PMB, where the Freedom Toaster keeps moving. Right now, I have NO idea where it is. I was wondering, Wouldnt it be wise to get the repositories hosted on the freedom toaster?

I looked at broadband. Yeah, it would work out a bit cheaper... but can I even recieve? See, I live in a hole in PMB. A new ISP coming up in PMB has a repeater on my friends roof, but Im not sure if I can even get from that. Things are BAD here...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by online14230 View Post
    I looked at broadband. Yeah, it would work out a bit cheaper... but can I even recieve? See, I live in a hole in PMB. A new ISP coming up in PMB has a repeater on my friends roof, but Im not sure if I can even get from that. Things are BAD here...
    What is your monthly budget for internet ? It would help a lot if you could tell me that. How much bandwidth do you need a month 500MB, 2GB, 3GB etc. I find 3GB plenty for my personal use.

Who is the new ISP you are referring to.

PM me your street & suburb as well as the first 3 digits after the 033 area code of your phone number. Lets just say I work in the industry and I might be able to help you with suitable information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast