Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadband ....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Broadband ....

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    What is your monthly budget for internet ? It would help a lot if you could tell me that. How much bandwidth do you need a month 500MB, 2GB, 3GB etc. I find 3GB plenty for my personal use.

Who is the new ISP you are referring to.

PM me your street & suburb as well as the first 3 digits after the 033 area code of your phone number. Lets just say I work in the industry and I might be able to help you with suitable information.
    sorry to be a bit off-topic, but how much do you pay mips for your ADSL connection and what is the bandwidth and speed of it, including monthly bills?

here in botswana, i have a 256/128 kbs but it doesn't stand up to its speed, and i also think that the ADSL connection provided in this country is connected via some telecommunication in gauteng ~ ...but i am still not sure, but all in all we pay about Pula 450 per month with 3 GB cap, what about you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by S1NGH View Post
    sorry to be a bit off-topic, but how much do you pay mips for your ADSL connection and what is the bandwidth and speed of it, including monthly bills?

here in botswana, i have a 256/128 kbs but it doesn't stand up to its speed, and i also think that the ADSL connection provided in this country is connected via some telecommunication in gauteng ~ ...but i am still not sure, but all in all we pay about Pula 450 per month with 3 GB cap, what about you?
    Well I have the lowest speed ADSL available, 384/128kbs. In order to get the ADSL service I also HAVE to sign up for a normal telephone service so I'll include that in the price.

Phone Line: R99, DSL 384:R 245, Bandwidth (3GB Cap): R125, TOTAL: R469 (401Pula, 66USD, 33GBP, 49Euro)

So the price is about the same.

I get the MAX speed of my connection for "Downloads" as I use segmented download managers that will max your link out. Try Aria2 & wxDownloadFast which can be found here, http://www.getdeb.net/ or in the repos for aria2 I think. For windows I use Getright on the odd occasion I do use it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Well I have the lowest speed ADSL available, 384/128kbs. In order to get the ADSL service I also HAVE to sign up for a normal telephone service so I'll include that in the price.

Phone Line: R99, DSL 384:R 245, Bandwidth (3GB Cap): R125, TOTAL: R469 (401Pula, 66USD, 33GBP, 49Euro)

So the price is about the same.

I get the MAX speed of my connection for "Downloads" as I use segmented download managers that will max your link out. Try Aria2 & wxDownloadFast which can be found here, http://www.getdeb.net/ or in the repos for aria2 I think. For windows I use Getright on the odd occasion I do use it.
    Thanks for the info!
    i use Downloader for X/WebDownloader for X
    and my downloads are on average at 20 kbps - this is when the connection is good otherwise i get <10 kbps... this totally sucks! lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

ouch! usually i get an average of 50kbps (obviously i get the odd slow connection), but mostly downloads average at 50kbps.

Beans

Thanks for the info!
    i use Downloader for X/WebDownloader for X
    and my downloads are on average at 20 kbps - this is when the connection is good otherwise i get <10 kbps... this totally sucks! lol
    D4X does not support segmented downloading, I have used it before but performance wise I prefer wxDFast. With wxDFast You can select up to 9 or 10 segments and it will give you good speeds. Use it, don't use it, the advice is free.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

D4X does not support segmented downloading, I have used it before but performance wise I prefer wxDFast. With wxDFast You can select up to 9 or 10 segments and it will give you good speeds. Use it, don't use it, the advice is free.
    i just installed it, and what do you know! it's just awesome, thanks for the advice, really appreciated it

Beans

i just installed it, and what do you know! it's just awesome, thanks for the advice, really appreciated it
    You should be able to max your link out up to the point where you battle to browse the web. You should get 256kbs downloads. Is this the case for you ?

It's still relatively new & beta so keep an eye out. I have not had corrupted downloads with it but it has closed unexpectedly on me without warning before. No biggy as i just restarted it and the downloads resumed.
    Last edited by mips; December 7th, 2006 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You should be able to max your link out up to the point where you battle to browse the web. You should get 256kbs downloads. Is this the case for you ?

It's still relatively new & beta so keep an eye out. I have not had corrupted downloads with it but it has closed unexpectedly on me without warning before. No biggy as i just restarted it and the downloads resumed.
    unfortunately no, it did kick to 40 kbps, perhaps i need some tweaking of some sort

great program! with great features!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Singh,

OOPs, sorry I took so long to get back to you, but there was a small problem with our cables here at work
    Anyways, my budget is kinda flexible, but Im looking at spending under R400 p/m. I live in Melsetter Road in Woodlands, PMB, with the number being 033-38736xx...

I believe these guys call themselves pmb.net, but I cant be quoted on that. I REALLY wouldnt mind going with them, but I just dont have the time right now, as my MOTHER_IN_LAW decided to visit for a few MONTHS!!!
    Being at home is a PAIN.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by online14230 View Post
    Singh,

OOPs, sorry I took so long to get back to you, but there was a small problem with our cables here at work
    Anyways, my budget is kinda flexible, but Im looking at spending under R400 p/m. I live in Melsetter Road in Woodlands, PMB, with the number being 033-38736xx...
    No problem
    Well if your budget is about R400, you might be able to get a 384/128 kbs connection as to my understanding that is the lowest speed available.

Therefore you will be required to pay for a phone line, modem rental etc...
    you can see mips post number 12. His total adds up to R469 because of his 3GB bandwidth cap.

Perhaps you could lower your bandwidth limit/cap to 1 or 2 GB - this is the maximum amount of the "things" you will be able to download and upload on the internet, they both add up together, so if you think you will download a lot more, you can think of upgrading...

Quote Originally Posted by online14230 View Post
    I believe these guys call themselves pmb.net, but I cant be quoted on that. I REALLY wouldnt mind going with them, but I just dont have the time right now, as my MOTHER_IN_LAW decided to visit for a few MONTHS!!!
    Being at home is a PAIN.
    i checked the PMB.net site, and found nothing related to internet services... http://pmb.net - perhaps i have misunderstood the address, and besides i don't know them. If you think they are trustable and are indeed an authentic company, you can join them with no problem!

What i would recommend is for you to first perhaps get a test connection and if you like their services you can join with them for a longer period in other words, you pay them for more months and get a good discount or more months free!

The rest is up to you.

PS: I understand what you are going through right now.... Stand through it buddy, i know you can beat the time, it will just fly if you don't bother about it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast