View Poll Results: Should we allow installation within windows on a loopmounted ntfs partition?

Voters
397. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make this an official ubuntu installation method!

171 43.07%
  • Yes, but make this some unofficial third party project

162 40.81%
  • Yes, but do it differently (post any suggestions)

12 3.02%
  • No! Keep everything the way it is!

77 19.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 185 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows-based Ubuntu Installer Development Thread (merged parts 1 and 2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Idea: Install via windows on loopmounted ntfs?

Considering Ubuntu is by far the largest desktop Linux distro, are we really losing potential users to an installation?
    Yes, we are the largest desktop linux distro, but desktop linux is less than 1% of the market, compared with 90% or so for windows. So yes, we have PLENTY of users to gain.

Beans
    Distro

The user should have to think a little.
    Yes, but for a person who just wants to browse the web, read his email, type up his homework, and do a bit of image editing, like 90% or so of computer users, isn't learning how to reformat a hard drive a bit TOO much thinking? It might scare them off...

Beans
    Distro

And also, to solve Bug #1 https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1 we need to appeal to the masses. We can't just restrict ourselves to those who are willing to read pages of documentation and tinker with complicated installations (and yes, it's complicated. Just read the forums; there are plenty of questions about the installation). And as for the argument "stupid people shouldn't be using ubuntu", I'll assure you, the vast majority of computer users would qualify as "stupid", so unless we want linux to remain with a tiny market share on the desktop, we should make everything easy for the "stupid" users, instead of trying to force them to become "smart", and scaring them away.

Beans

Well, contrary to Keshyden, I am a huge believer in point and click.

If someone could double click an ubuntu icon from windows and have it running in a very short time, I think we'd see a hell of a lot more ubuntu users come around and using it.

Viva la point and click!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

An idea of concept jumped into my mind, what if we were to get hold of a DOS based partition manager with the capability to resize NTFS file systems and create EXT3/ReiserFS file systems [Those two are the most common today though I think Ext3 is better liked by many] and thus our installer can just run a batch script to take care of the re-partitioning for the user. etc. I think this approach may look crude though for a first release, would work. Only problem I can think of is CMD.EXE in WindowsXP not being permitted access to DIRECTLY access the hard drive and what not. I'll google around today when I get a chance and see if I can find something to fill this bill and or something better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Yeah, would be good to have an easier method for all the win users.

(I think others know how to burn ISOs easily, as it is integrated in most OS).

Should be something between official and 3Party.

Should be there, but it's nothing what helps the world, so.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, seems like people like the idea. So, how do I get this project started? Do I:

1. File it as a bug under launchpad
    2. Recruit people in the forums
    3. Try to make a crude prototype on my own
    4. Something else?
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; November 25th, 2006 at 04:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Well, I would personally say we should iron out many of the details first before we do start announcing the idea or turn it into a full fledge project. Or else we talk someone into it only to find out after we can't make it into a reality for this or that reason.

The other Linux distro's that I made mention too earlier on in the thread, Dragon Linux, and WinLinux, [and I think maybe BestLinux too??] are UMSDOS based distro's. Which means they only worked with versions of Windows that are running on File Allocation Table based file systems such as vFat/Fat16, Fat32, and I suspect even Xbox's FatX could be made to work, though no logic in that.

And also it's note worthy to say that even with WinXP on a Fat16/32 partition, still gave a good fight to these distribution's, not letting them have any real access to the system to even so much as reboot.

UMSDOS unforunatley will not work on the NT File System.

In theory we may be the first to try it on NTFS.

Beans

Arrow Re: Idea: Install via windows on loopmounted ntfs?

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Alright, seems like people like the idea. So, how do I get this project started? Do I:

1. File it as a bug under launchpad
    2. Recruit people in the forums
    3. Try to make a crude prototype on my own
    3. Something else?
    1 and 3 if you feel like you're up to the challenge. Researching the other distros that supposedly do this is probably a good step. And maybe make a wiki page for planning besides this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    1 and 3 if you feel like you're up to the challenge. Researching the other distros that supposedly do this is probably a good step. And maybe make a wiki page for planning besides this thread.
    Agreed! I'll try to do what research I can on my end. Not much else to do tonight. Let you guys know if I can find anything actually relevent or useful.

Page 3 of 185 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast