View Poll Results: Should we allow installation within windows on a loopmounted ntfs partition?

Voters
397. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make this an official ubuntu installation method!

171 43.07%
  • Yes, but make this some unofficial third party project

162 40.81%
  • Yes, but do it differently (post any suggestions)

12 3.02%
  • No! Keep everything the way it is!

77 19.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 185 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows-based Ubuntu Installer Development Thread (merged parts 1 and 2)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Idea: Install via windows on loopmounted ntfs?

I love this idea!

I don't think the fetching of data from the Windows system is a very good idea technically, but besides that, I'm all for it.

The live CD can be slow, depending on the quality of the CD drive, even in really new machines..

A few things I'm wondering about though:
    - How's NTFS going to enjoy a 10gb+ file?
    - swap space? Another file? or will the single storage file carry a whole partition table? "Everyone's got more than ## memory now a days!" is a bad argument, imagine people with machines of say 512mb RAM.

A few more things really, but those are just the main things I'm seeing..

And I'd stay clear of trying to detect anything on the Windows filesystem at first.. but once it runs stable I imagine this to be the perfect way for people to switch to ubuntu.
    "The circle has to be broken somewhere, why not here and now."
    Linux user #412689

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Post Re: Idea: Install via windows on loopmounted ntfs?

This is stupid. If someone can't or isn't willing to learn how to burn a cd or use the installer to partition their hard drive, then they shouldn't be using a computer period. Resources are vast and it takes very little effort to find out how to do these very basic tasks. At the very least they could have a friend show them how. It would be a waste of time to make something like this. Do we really want such ignorant people using linux? They're still going to be the same ignorant person after switching from windows.
    Last edited by ejos; November 24th, 2006 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If someone can't or isn't willing to learn how to burn a cd or use the installer to partition their hard drive, then they shouldn't be using a computer period.
    Well, we could make the learning curve easier by simplifying the installation. Also, like this, we could appeal to casual computer users; the guys who just want to have a better, more secure experience browsing the web, reading email, and typing documents. Ubuntu is perfect for these people; no need to tinker with antivirus software, spyware, and firewalls; the only thing that has been preventing their entry has been the complicated process of setting up ubuntu. This should make ubuntu more appealing to casual users, and not just the hardcore power users.

Beans
    Distro

And really, it isn't about whether they know how to partition a hard drive, but whether they're willing to do so. For my own ubuntu migration, my parents were too scared of partitioning and possible data loss, even though I knew how to partition drives, and wouldn't let me do it, so topologilinux was the only linux they let me use. Luckily, though, I later got my own computer, which I instantly put ubuntu onto. Similarly, a lot of my friends I have tried to convert to ubuntu have parents who are scared to death of partitioning and possible data loss, so they haven't let them put ubuntu onto the computer. So really, it isn't just about knowledge, but also the sense of safety associated with no partitioning, no possibility of data loss, and an uninstaller that can undo everything.

Beans
    Distro

And of course, this would also make ubuntu the perfect "hobby" linux, for people who just want to try it out. Easy installation, no need to waste a cd-r, no chance of data loss, and an uninstaller that can undo everything- what else can they ask for?

Beans

I am loving this idea, and I think that we could get a little more advanced as well.

For example, John isn't tech-savy enough to partition his hard drive, his love for his windows apps/games is too much to totally format the HD and he does not like the idea of adding a partition.

He finds out he can run ubuntu with little hassle by downloading a setup.exe, one method of which he is very familiar with.

John installs, enjoys ubuntu and heavily considers installing it on it's own partition for a better experience.

Now, if John happens to use his ubuntu quite a lot on top of windows, couldn't another third party application (or an integrated one) give him a nice GUI which enables him to create the ext3 file system partition and then moves the current ISO data file to the ext3, restoring his configuration? 8)

Beans
    Distro

Now, if John happens to use his ubuntu quite a lot on top of windows, couldn't another third party application (or an integrated one) give him a nice GUI which enables him to create the ext3 file system partition and then moves the current ISO data file to the ext3, restoring his configuration?
    exactly. see point 9:

We might even allow people to upgrade to a full-blown ubuntu on a dedicated partition if they want to get rid of windows and get a performance boost by shrinking the ntfs partition, cloning the loopmounted file into a real filesystem in the new space freed up, then deleting the ntfs filesystem, expanding the new ubuntu one to take up the freed space, and modifying the bootloader to boot from the new ubuntu filesystem.

Beans
    Distro

As you can see right here: http://darkdust.net/marc/diskimagehowto.php all this disk imaging and restoring is possible with mount and dd. Now we just have to make it nice and user friendly.

Beans
    Distro

swap space? Another file? or will the single storage file carry a whole partition table? "Everyone's got more than ## memory now a days!" is a bad argument, imagine people with machines of say 512mb RAM.
    In topologilinux, the swap partition has its own disk image file, so I guess it should be done the same way here, too.
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; January 1st, 2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Considering Ubuntu is by far the largest desktop Linux distro, are we really losing potential users to an installation?

The user should have to think a little.

I am not a fan of the idea that everything should be point and click.

Just a thought.
    -Desktop - Windows XP / SUSE 10.2
    -Laptop - Ubuntu 7.04
    -Server 1 - Debian 4.0
    -Server 2 - Ubuntu 6.06.1

Page 2 of 185 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast