View Poll Results: What should our domain name be?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • ubuntu-ohio.org

12 52.17%
  • ubuntuoh.org

1 4.35%
  • ubuntuohio.org

7 30.43%
  • ubuntu-oh.org

0 0%
  • ubuntu-us-ohio.org

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu-Ohio Website

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu-Ohio Website

One of the projects we'll have going real soon is the official website for the Ohio Team.

Here is the purpose of this thread:
    1. Gather ideas for "must haves" on the site.
    2. Establish a team Web-Master, and admin(s) -->must have registered pgp keys on launchpad.

Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Ubuntu-Ohio Website

Quote Originally Posted by Vorian
    1. Gather ideas for "must haves" on the site.
    I think the basic 'must haves' we need for a site would be:
    * an open calendar
    * a list to track scheduled events and plan new events
    * photo/information gallery, for posting of pictures and information about various displays or booths set up
    * a way to post team news
    * a list of goals and other team-specific information
    * while not NECESSARY, I think a team planet would be nice. The New Jersey team has one (http://ubuntu.joeterranova.net/planet/), and it's a nice way for the team to keep track of each other.

Any help you need with the site I'd be more than happy to give. I have more freetime than I know what to do with sometimes.
    -Ruby/Rails Enthusiast-
    Registered Linux User #432824 | Registered Ubuntu User #8722

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I like the team planet very much. I will be happy to contribute articles and such about ubuntu/linux in general. I am registered at Launchpad, does that mean I have a pgp key?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    I like the team planet very much. I will be happy to contribute articles and such about ubuntu/linux in general. I am registered at Launchpad, does that mean I have a pgp key?
    Once you've registered, go to your People page (profile). On the right side of the screen, there should be something about "Ubuntero: No" with a link. Follow the link and it will explain how to get a key, along with how to use that key to sign the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.
    -Ruby/Rails Enthusiast-
    Registered Linux User #432824 | Registered Ubuntu User #8722

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Would WordPress be a solution? You can extend WP to do about anything, including calendar, meeting management, and such. The Planet idea is nice, although we'll need an aggregator to merge all of the blog feeds.

I have a lot of web design HTML/CSS/PHP/SQL/AJAX/JavaScript experience. I can help out with whatever design/administering is needed (yes I am an Ubuntero). Have a look at my signature to see some of my sites. http://codechunk.net is a portal that lists the sites also, although it is under construction.

I have an aggregator script (in PHP) partially written already, but for a different purpose. You can see it at http://youmakemedia.com/ on the left; titled Oratos Media. It retrieves all of the posts from the network using RSS, and then calculates the latest post and links ot it.

Jacob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

/*insert two cents*/
    While we're discussing website stuff, I wanted to add that I'm currently working on the SpreadUbuntu project with Jenda. Most of my experience so far with web design / construction has been with PHP, but for SpreadUbuntu we're specifically choosing something Python-based for the sake of consistency with Ubuntu's DNA. There are a couple of *huge* CMS solutions written in Python such as Plone and other Zope derivatives. For SpreadUbuntu, we're using Skeletonz --> http://orangoo.com/skeletonz/ It's a *very fast* CMS based primarily on Cheetah --> http://www.cheetahtemplate.org

My thinking goeth like: If I force myself to use Python for all manner of stuff, I'll be of more use to Ubuntu as a whole.
    /*end two cents*/

Beans
    Distro

Canonical - hosting will provide
    • FTP Access
    • PHP 4
    • CGI Support (python included)
    • MySQL database
    • E-mail list
    • 500 MB of disk space
    • An ubuntu related domain ( like ohio.ubuntu-us.com )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    I will be happy to contribute articles and such about ubuntu/linux in general.
    That will be wonderful! Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

If Ubuntu provides Python support, I'd recommend Planet Planet for the aggregator. I just set it up for my family, and it's super easy to use. It does require a cron job to update, though.

Another option is Drupal. I believe it has a planet-like aggregation module.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Drupal is a great CMS. I only wish it was PHP5 instead of PHP4 on the servers. Oh well.

I'll re-state what I said on IRC: We could technically run our own version of PHP5 using CGI. It would take up a chunk of disk space, but I think it would be worth it. magic_quotes must die.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast