Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracking Closed source code

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Cracking Closed source code

Hi.
    I have always been wandering can we crack the code of windows or any othe closed source program?????

Beans

Re: Cracking Closed source code

Obviously not, if that were the case the propriety software business would not be worth the billions it currently is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You are referring to reverse engineering...which is illegal.

Beans

An even if you could, then, Microsoft (or whoever) would definately own you for stealing their IP!
    Using ubuntu offline?
    Want to install new programs?
    Check out wubdepends
    If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can’t it get us out?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Agreed that would be illegal , so what is MS afraid of with all these deals with novell ( and trying to get others RedHat ) of we won't sue you if you won't sue us , what are they hiding
    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...16-26-NW-LL-NV
    I can think of one item : Quoted form a programer :
    MS "Plagierized" Longhorn from SELinux
    Much of the security related feature set of Longhorn, was originally done by NSA/Redhat/Debian for SELinux. MS Plagiarized much of this for Vista/Longhorn. This novel Concept of users logging in with limited rights by default, under Vista, is pretty much the way my Linux Distro worked 10 years ago, and my Unix OS worked 20 years ago. MS may be a bit a head in some of the flashy gui, spoon feed the novice, but pro's can take any one of a number of excellent OS's and build a good system that would meet or exceed these requirements. Linux being Open Source is where a Large amount of OS R&D projects get done, and new ideas find there way into Computer Science. MS, and others then adapt these ideas to the commercial / corporate world and get them to the point where "Joe Six Pack" or "Homer Simpson" can use them with a good set of reasonable default settings. The MS operating system, can still load a Posix sub-system, or though other techniques be made to run on par with a Linux/*nix box.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rado_london View Post
    Hi.
    I have always been wandering can we crack the code of windows or any othe closed source program?????
    If you're asking whether its possible, then I severely doubt it. Put it this way, by the time you have successfully reverse engineered Windows Vista so that you have the complete source code, Steve Ballmers son will be announcing *Windows 2050 Even More DRM Edition!*
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by *John* View Post
    If you're asking whether its possible, then I severely doubt it. Put it this way, by the time you have successfully reverse engineered Windows Vista so that you have the complete source code, Steve Ballmers son will be announcing *Windows 2050 Even More DRM Edition!*
    Thanks for the answers people! That is sad. So there is a good way to put off MS from the market but its gonna take me 50 years to do it

Beans

Reverse engineering is not cracking. There is no way to get the actual code from the compiled ones and zeroes. You can just guess how it was done, and try to do it in a similar way. If you want to see an example of this, look at ReactOS http://www.reactos.com/en/index.html
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I wish we could steal it from the MS labs as there is no other way to get it.

Beans

Um... Why? GNU/Linux has very little to benefit from Microsoft code. The most you might get is proper NTFS write support and maybe some small improvements to Samba. Hardly a reason to insert code into Ubuntu which will cause it to get sued for millions by Microsoft.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast