Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: setup the VFD & IR of Zalman HD160 case

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: setup the VFD & IR of Zalman HD160 case

I have the same thing going on... I am using Fedora 8. AMD x86_64
    I have noticed a couple things...

1) If I am in the /usr/local/irtrans dir and exec the startup script (/etc/init.d/irserver64) or exec the irserver or irserver64 script it will work perfect

[dagon] /usr/local/irtrans 135> p irserver64
    UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
    root 4215 1 0 18:06 ? 00:00:00 /usr/local/irtrans/irserver64 -daemon -pidfile /var/run/irserver64 -loglevel 2 -logfile /var/log/irserver64.log /dev/ttyUSB0

2) If I am not in the directory and exec the irserver cmd it will throw this error: (irserver is able to detect platforms and automajically call on irserver64... or so it says...)

[dagon] /usr/local 119> sudo /usr/local/irtrans/irserver -daemon -pidfile /var/run/irserver -loglevel 2 -logfile /var/log/irserver64.log /dev/ttyUSB0
    Error executing the 64Bit IRServer

3) If I am not in the directory and exec the irserver64 cmd it will appear to start, but really does nothing... if you look at the logs dir it complains about not seeing the remotes dir

[dagon] /usr/local 131> cat /var/log/irserver64.log
    IRServer Version 5.9.07
    [ 0]: D5.03.08 SN: 18706
    Could not open Remote Database (No folder 'remotes' / Access rights ?)

....so I am pretty much stuck with trying to figure out how to code my startup script to see the remotes dir to it can startup on reboot.... and suggestions?

Beans

Hi,
    I followed also the instruction, but the RC does not work. I dicovered the following:
    with ps -ef | grep irserver it is running, but with my login. when I stop the service and start it with sudo comand again it is running as root. When I start now the frontend of mythtv again it works!
    I have tried the start as mentioned with update-rc and also to edit the rc.local but both times the service is started under my login and not as root.
    My question is where to put the shell script or the start command of irserver to be run on root level.
    I am running Mythbuntu 7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Good tutorial, worked as advertised!
    Has anyone been able to get the MCE keyboard to work ? The download comes with a mce-keyboard.rem in the remotes db, the multimedia keys work but not the regular keys.
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 - Athlon 64 4800 X2 65W - Origenae X11
    EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+, PVR500, HVR-1800
    4G Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 - Seagate-250G, WD-500G

Beans

G'day all,

Totally new to linux and have just crossed to "the dark side" from mce2005.
    I am running Mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 i386 version.
    After 3 days of endless googling and reading up on what the hell I am doing in terminal, I purchased this case based on this howto.

Very impressed so far

I have the remote working fine and the lcd has suddenly changed from "welcome to htpc" to the correct date and time etc after doing all the steps.

My 1st question is, should the lcd show anything else other than the date and time?? (and yes, I have done the lcd thing in mythtv frontend)

2nd question, mythbuntu wants to install a newer version of lcdproc.....should I do it or not and where would I find it after it installs???? I am worried I will bork what good I have done so far.

Please remember I am using mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 , not ubuntu or kubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by muppet(au) View Post
    G'day all,

Totally new to linux and have just crossed to "the dark side" from mce2005.
    I am running Mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 i386 version.
    After 3 days of endless googling and reading up on what the hell I am doing in terminal, I purchased this case based on this howto.

Very impressed so far

I have the remote working fine and the lcd has suddenly changed from "welcome to htpc" to the correct date and time etc after doing all the steps.

My 1st question is, should the lcd show anything else other than the date and time?? (and yes, I have done the lcd thing in mythtv frontend)

2nd question, mythbuntu wants to install a newer version of lcdproc.....should I do it or not and where would I find it after it installs???? I am worried I will bork what good I have done so far.

Please remember I am using mythbuntu 8.0.4.1 , not ubuntu or kubuntu.

Thanks.
    Hi Muppet, welcome to Ubuntu

I wouldn't update lcdproc since I believe the IRtrans version is different from the normal, at least these instructions at the beginning of the thread say so (not 100% sure about this though, it might work just fine now). Anyway, updating might force you to reinstall the package from the web site. Actually: If your machine is a Myth server and you don't have any issues with any of these remote/lcd things, I wouldn't update Lirc, Lcdproc etc. unless you know what the update is going to do/fix. I at least try to usually avoid unnecessary hassle when it comes to Myth. I have some of these (lirc etc.) actually locked to current versions because of this, I've had to recompile modules too many times before because of updates. The new versions of Ubuntu come every 6 months so that's a nice time interval for recompiling lirc etc. modules, in my mind

The LCD should be showing the names of menus when you navigate through them and the names of programs when watching TV. Does yours not do this? The Setup->Appereance menu in the frontend has all the options for what to show, you should be seeing whatever you've setup there when using Myth.

Beans

Hi,

I'm trying to setup HTPC with Zalmans HD160Plus, but I'm having trouble at getting the remote and VDF to work.

The How-to posted on this thread is a little old and apparently some things have changed since.

1st, IRTrans provides their own 64bit binaries from their site: http://www.irtrans.de/en/download/linux.php

So I skipped straight to the install part. But when I tried to test/run the irserver I found out that my system is missing /dev/ttyUSBx !!

lsusb shows this:
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 15c2:0038 SoundGraph Inc.
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c01b Logitech, Inc. MX310 Optical Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    So it should be properly connected as SoundGraph shows in the list.

Mouse and Canon digital camera work perfectly with the USB.

I'm running 2.6.24-19-generic Ubuntu. I tried a fresh install from the CD, but still no luck at finding /dev/ttyUSBx.

Could someone who have succeeded at getting Z160 to work please give me some poitters what could be the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also have a Zalman 160 plus and using Hardy
    Has anybody succeeded in making the irtrans work. I don seem to be having a /dev/ttyUSB0 device. As far as i can tell I have made all the necessary connections ....
    Thank you in advance to any help
    /Mattias

EDIT: I´m closer now that I´ve realised that the plus version uses imonlcd driver not irtrans, this has been changed for the plus version. I´ve so far gotten the LCD display to work, still some work left on the lirc functionality. A quick google on the lsusb identity of 15c2:0038 SoundGraph Inc
    gives some insight to how to get it working. e.g. http://mythtvblog.blogspot.com/2008/...with-lirc.html
    Last edited by Mattias; September 11th, 2008 at 08:02 AM.

Beans

Can you please help me??

Quote Originally Posted by falela View Post
    Reboot and check if these 2 daemons start:
    Code:
    ps -e | grep LCDd
    ps -e | grep irserver
    If I enter the above mentioned commands nothing happens

And when I enter in my terminal:
    sudo LCDd of LCDd

It replies: "Error connecting to irtrans server localhost"

I am lost here...

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards,

Bloemetjesgordijn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bloemetjesgordijn View Post
    Can you please help me??

If I enter the above mentioned commands nothing happens

And when I enter in my terminal:
    sudo LCDd of LCDd

It replies: "Error connecting to irtrans server localhost"

I am lost here...

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards,

Bloemetjesgordijn
    Looks like the irserver daemon is not starting. Try:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/irserver start
    and see if that starts it. My guess is your init scripts are not set up properly or starting for some reason.

Beans

Nope didnt work

It says "Error executing the 64Bit IRServer"

Furthermore date & time on the display are gone now *Bummer*

Pretty expensive stuff for an LCD with only "Welcome to HTPC"

It works !!!!!!!
    I had to start Irserver 64 bits instead of irserver

Great thx "BatPenguin"
    Last edited by Bloemetjesgordijn; November 4th, 2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: it works !!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast