Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: setup the VFD & IR of Zalman HD160 case

Beans

Re: HOWTO: setup the VFD & IR of Zalman HD160 case

Hello falela,

Great tute .

I have been trying the Myth tv guide and getting nowhere . So this was a great help . I have the remote working ok , but just need to config the LCD .

I am going to compile the lcdproc on another machine as my mythbox does not have the right environment , then copy the individual files to the mythbox . After a stab at compiling and making , I noticed that 3 files are created : lcdproc , LCDd and LCDd.conf . I was expecting that there was going to be a forth file : irtrans.so , but did not see it amongst the other files . I thought it would be needed in /usr/lib/lcdproc/ which is the driver path normally .

When you compiled yours how many files were created , and where did they get installed ? Much appreciate your help .

RD

Beans

Its ok . Got it all working now . Was having trouble compiling the lcdproc . It looked like nothing was happening when doping the make . That is resolved by doing a make clean before the make . Now I have all 3 files done ( does not need 4th file irtrans.so if using compiled LCDd and lcdproc) and display is working . When scrolling through myth menus the little display mimics what is being selected on the screen . When watching tv it shows the tv channel info . All good .

P.S One question , how is the stability of the system when using these compiled binaries from irtrans ? any lockups, freezes or crashes ?

Best regards

RD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

just to ask the question from BatPenguin again, is it possible to use the screen for all types of info:

ie

* cd track
    * tv station
    * radio station
    * random myth plugins like weather

thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
    just to ask the question from BatPenguin again, is it possible to use the screen for all types of info:
    thx
    Hi there, seems like not too many people are reading this thread anymore =).

In any case, I did order the case and just got it the other day with all my new components. So I'll be starting installing and configuring everything possibly as early as tonight. Getting the screen going isn't exactly a top priority at the moment but once I have myth running otherwise and other important stuff like Vmware setup and running, I'll be sure to see just exactly what I can do with the screen.

Depending on how smoothly everything goes, it might take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks until I get to it (plenty of things to setup here...), but I'll let you know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro

OK; I got this to work now. For those interested in what this is good for: Myth shows channel information and the menus as you're navigating through them. If the frontend is not active but the backend is recording (back and frontends are on the same machine for me), the display will show "Recording..." and the program information. Pretty neat.

I'm also using Lirc to handle a PVR-150 IR blaster for channel changes so it works fine with Lirc active as well.

Anyway, I have a question: when myth is not doing anything, the text shown is:

LCDproc Server
    Clients: 0

How do I change this? I'd like it to say something, ummm, more interesing =) Didn't see a line for that in the config file.

Also, is there a way to change what the display says when the computer is OFF. As I remember it, it used to be the clock...now it's nothing before I boot up. I'd appreciate some tips on how to change these things. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Haven't seen any replies so I'll try again: has anybody managed to customize the settings any more? Like print stuff from other programs / scrpts besides Myth to the screen? My hope is to get the screen to (upon shutdown) print the name and time of the next recording on the LCD. Anybody have any idea how this could be done? At the moment I have a mythshutdown scrip that writes the wake-up time to the system BIOS, I'd just like to add to that so that it also prints the time to the screen (and leaves it there). The whole point being that even when the box is turned off I could still see when and what is the next recording - and yeah, not exactly curing cancer this trick but I think it'd be neat

Any ideas? Thanks.

Beans

hi.
    i have a thermaltake mozart sx and was wondering if this method would on it?

Also is there anyway of making the vfd work without mythbuntu..im running normal gutsy!!!

appreciate your replies!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by orasetaina View Post
    Also is there anyway of making the vfd work without mythbuntu..im running normal gutsy!!!
    Hi there. I'm running normal Gutsy as well, no mythbuntu, and this works fine.

I'm still hoping that someone would give me a tip on how to print stuff on the screen manually / via a script so I could use it more. The default myth support is very nice, though.

Beans

When I run
    Code:
    irserver -codedump -debug_code -loglevel 4 /dev/ttyUSB0
    I get "Could not open IP socket"

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by straightv6 View Post
    When I run
    Code:
    I get "Could not open IP socket"

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
    I had the same problem, but also noticed ttyUSB0 did not exist in /dev. Someone pointed out through their site that they solved this issue by taking a closer look at the USB connection to the mother board... turns out they had it plugged in wrong, and so did I.

Now I have a new problem: I've installed all of the 32 - 64 compatibility packages as instructed in this thread (Mythbuntu 7.10), but I continually get a new error when running the command
    Code:
    . It throws out
    Code:
    Error executing the 64Bit IRServer
    . Really irritating, especially because searches on this error return NOTHING. Perhaps it is something simple... someone help! I need my remote to work, or my wife will continue to call my MythTV box the "I Told You So". Good times
    Last edited by luckyfourleaf; December 31st, 2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast